Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344
Results 1,721 to 1,727 of 1727

Thread: Musk buys Twitter

Frenzied Member

Re: Musk buys Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    One question, why does everybody say that schoemr is a woman? As far as I can tell, it is solely because they have a picture of a woman as an avatar. I've always assumed they were not a woman for that same reason. I do know one person on here who can say which one's right, but I certainly don't know. How do you? I've tried to avoid using any pronouns just so I don't embarrass anybody, but since you folks are, perhaps I missed something.
    So I have always wondered why most people here don't have their photo on their profile. You have like fruits, dogs and even rats next to your work. Are you shy to put your face next to your comments?

Don't worry Shaggy, I on the other hand know perfectly well what I am. I'm not confused about it and because of that I don't demand all sorts of ridiculous pronouns. Nobody had to assume anything about me because I told them.

Edit. Put your face Shaggy
    Last edited by schoemr; Feb 18th, 2023 at 04:00 PM.

Frenzied Member

@Niya, the reason is I perceive him as a narcissistic bully. Always picking on people who want to learn. I bet over the years he chased THOUSANDS of people away from this website.

Now the schoolyard bully became a prefect...

I just got tired of him always insulting me that is why I became hostile towards him. There was a time where I had tremendous high regard for the knowledge he have, because he does.

But it reached a point where what he can teach me is not worth the sh@t that comes with it.

I would rather stop programming if it means I have to ask people like JMC for help.

Frankly, you seem to ignore data that doesn't conform to your beliefs. Technically, that's probably all that human intelligence is, as I've said before. Almost always, what we call intelligence turns out to be pattern recognition, when studied more closely. Your brain creates a pattern, then actively suppresses information that doesn't conform to it. It's easy to see why that is important to survival, but it's also the root of many, if not most, of our problems. The issue I see with you is that you seem to lean into it. You're doing what everybody else does, you just seem to feel that your case is special. That the patterns you have formed are right. That the data you ignore, are ignored because they are wrong, not because they don't fit the patterns you have formed.
    WOW...you are scary.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    One question, why does everybody say that schoemr is a woman? As far as I can tell, it is solely because they have a picture of a woman as an avatar. I've always assumed they were not a woman for that same reason. I do know one person on here who can say which one's right, but I certainly don't know. How do you? I've tried to avoid using any pronouns just so I don't embarrass anybody, but since you folks are, perhaps I missed something.
    I'm fairly sure that schoemr once accused me of being misogynistic for being (perceived to be being) mean to her in the past. The assumption seemed to be that she's a woman and I was being mean to her so I must be being mean to her because she was a woman. That wasn't the case, of course, as many have seen and even commented that my manner is pretty consistent when it comes to people I perceive to be making little or no effort on their own behalf and I'd bet that most of them are men. It confirmed that schoemr was, indeed, a woman though. Now you have me doubting my recollection so, if I am misremembering, I apologise. It would be ironic that Niya was claiming that schoemr being upset with me was because of my attitude to women if she wasn't a woman but then, as I have pointed out, my attitude to men is the same so it would be equally applicable if she wasn't.

I hadn't read post #1721 when I wrote this. Seems there will be no need for an apology on this count.

Quote Originally Posted by schoemr View Post
    Always picking on people who want to learn.
    If I pick on people, it's on people who make no effort to learn, but rather just ask others to do for them. I've answered many questions, both here and elsewhere, without the slightest hint of what you consider bullying, because the person asking the question did what they could for themselves and only asked about the parts that they couldn't work out, not the parts they couldn't be bothered to work out.
    I bet over the years he chased THOUSANDS of people away from this website.
    It's possible that the odd person has been put off altogether by my manner but I would consider that to be weeding out the chaff. I generally point out that a person can and should do more for themselves before posting a question and ask them why they haven't. That little bit of self-reflection is too much for the people who could only conclude that it's because they're too lazy to do so and so they avoid it. Then there are those who take the hint and actually do something about it. I once got a PM from someone on this site who came back years later to thank me for pushing them to do better because they did do better and benefitted from doing so. I don't expect that from everyone but that's what I do it for. I want everyone to be the best developer they can be and if the best you can be is someone who can't even do a simple web search or press F1 then I'm not concerned if you give up. I'm not here to make friends.
    I just got tired of him always insulting me that is why I became hostile towards him.
    Did I insult you though? I think you'll find that I never called you a bad person or questioned your parentage or the like. The one and only thing I did was imply - possibly outright state once or twice - that you were being lazy, because you'd rather ask others to provide information than look for it yourself. I lost count of the times that I could answer your question with either a web search using keywords already in your post or reading the documentation for types and/or members already in your post. I've never seen anyone else so relentlessly refuse to do that. If you're not making a simple effort to help yourself but expecting others to do so instead, that seems to be the very definition of lazy to me, so that would make it criticism rather than insult.
    But it reached a point where what he can teach me is not worth the sh@t that comes with it.
    All you had to do was search the web and read the documentation for yourself. You may recall that I have provided straight answers to a number of your questions over time. Those are the ones that didn't directly display a lack of effort on your own behalf. Funny, that.
    I would rather stop programming if it means I have to ask people like JMC for help.
    If people are unwilling to do the simple things for themselves, I don't consider them a loss to the profession. Maybe that's not you any more, or maybe it is.

So I have always wondered why most people here don't have their photo on their profile. You have like fruits, dogs and even rats next to your work. Are you shy to put your face next to your comments?
    I guess it depends what you're trying to achieve. Having your photo in a personnel system, where people will actually meet face to face, makes some sense, but I'm not sure what the benefit would be here. If everyone's profile had their face then I think that that would actually make them less distinct, whereas I recognise various people's posts here because their avatar is distinct from everyone else's.
    I don't demand all sorts of ridiculous pronouns.
    You mean ridiculous pronouns like... "she" and "her"? The pronouns are the same, regardless. They are the same pronouns that we all use all the time already, including "they" and "them" when a distinct gender is unknown or inappropriate. That sounds like a deliberate exaggeration because you know that an honest characterisation doesn't actually sound bad enough to justify your outrage.

I know that some people have suggested new gender-neutral pronouns like "zhe" but I've seen very little mention of that anywhere and none for some time, although that doesn't mean that there is none at all. One thing I found funny was when Jordan Peterson referred to such pronouns as "made up", as though the pronouns that he's comfortable with are something innate to the fabric of the universe rather than something human beings made up because it was convenient to do so to address a perceived need.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Can we cut this crap out already!
    Yes. I think we can and we should and, since this thread is descending into nothing but personal attacks, I'm going close it.

Before I do, I'm going to say something that all members should consider. While it may be desirable, my remit as a moderator is not to uphold your right of free speech. It is not to be even handed or to offer a platform to any and all points of view. And it is not to coddle your ego and sense of disenfranchisement. My remit is to ensure that members of all stripes and persuasions can take part in a professional community without fear. The only time people should lose that right is when they remove it from others. If you run counter to that remit you won't remain long. I've been within a hairs breadth of handing out bannings off the back of this thread for weeks which is why I've largely foregone taking part in it recently. It is only the patience and tolerance of other mods, who I admire, that has prevented me from doing so.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Feb 19th, 2023 at 08:30 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344