Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 172425262728293037 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 1727

Thread: Musk buys Twitter

PowerPoster

Re: Musk buys Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Regardless of whether it's true or not, it seems to me that he might have waited until he had a clearer idea of what actually happened before suggesting that Twitter interfered in the Brazilian election. There's no small chance that that could lead to violence in Brazil so speculation is probably not ideal. As suggested though, he's probably just trying to generate traffic. A few Brazilians arrested, hurt or dead won't affect him though, so why not?
    From what I've seen Musk isn't concerned about the damage he does, it's all about success and attention. He's starting to sound a lot like Trump. "Twitter MAY have interfered" "I've heard concerning reports" sound familiar?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

People are saying...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    From what I've seen Musk isn't concerned about the damage he does, it's all about success and attention. He's starting to sound a lot like Trump. "Twitter MAY have interfered" "I've heard concerning reports" sound familiar?
    It could be HUGE!
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've been reading a bit more about the latest Twitter revelations. From what I can gather the whole Hunter Biden "interference" was that the Biden campaign team contacted Twitter to get nude pictures of Hunter taken down. So this wouldn't be covered by the First Amendment as the Biden Campaign != the Government, the images would have been in violation of the Twitter TOS anyway and this is entirely non-political.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Nice try censoring a story about censorship.

Elon Musk and Matt Taibbi Reveal Why Twitter Censored the Hunter Biden Laptop Story

On Friday, Elon Musk announced that he would release the Twitter Files: a behind-the-scenes account of why the social media site prevented users from sharing the New York Post's infamous Hunter Biden laptop story. That story, which was erroneously categorized by national intelligence experts as disinformation of dubious and possibly Russian origin, has become the archetypical example of social media moderation gone awry.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    From the article:

But given how massively Musk hyped the revelations, the results are a tad disappointing, and mostly confirm what the public already assumed: A (still unidentified) employee or process flagged the story as "unsafe" and suppressed its spread, and then Twitter moderators devised a retroactive justification—violation of a "hacked materials" policy—for having taken such an extraordinary step.

But we're essentially in the-butler-did-it territory: The mystery's explanation is exactly what everyone expected, and largely already knew.

@tyson - It is clear news who did the suppressing and they were fired quickly upon take over by Musk. What is the source of the article you posted?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @tyson - It is clear news who did the suppressing and they were fired quickly upon take over by Musk. What is the source of the article you posted?
    The link dilettante posted in #1045. Also in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    The link dilettante posted in #1045. Also in my post.
    I saw that - I was asking more about who was the source - and just a google away told me that Reason.com is a Koch Brother product.

Later...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The Koch brothers are pretty interesting...or just one of them, I seem to remember that one of them died, so he's not quite so interesting.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The Koch brothers are pretty interesting...or just one of them, I seem to remember that one of them died, so he's not quite so interesting.
    He's boring to death...

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I saw that - I was asking more about who was the source - and just a google away told me that Reason.com is a Koch Brother product.

Later...
    I made the post to make fun of the poster. His own post contradicted his point. I do not subscribe to the link...

Well, no, he's beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I've been reading a bit more about the latest Twitter revelations. From what I can gather the whole Hunter Biden "interference" was that the Biden campaign team contacted Twitter to get nude pictures of Hunter taken down. So this wouldn't be covered by the First Amendment as the Biden Campaign != the Government, the images would have been in violation of the Twitter TOS anyway and this is entirely non-political.
    From what I've seen, it seems that the only revelation is that the Biden campaign and the Trump Whitehouse had direct lines to twitter to ask them to remove certain tweets. I'm not sure that that's too much of a surprise though. What hasn't been revealed is what Trump, who was actually in government, actually requested Twitter remove. Again, this whole affair is being cast as the left suppressing the right but it's just not. It's just content moderation. We have direct and explicit evidence that Twitter actually promotes right-wing points of view in its algorithm so the idea that they are simultaneously promoting and suppressing right-wing speech is just silly. I'm not naïve enough to discount the possibility that some individuals are doing things they ought not to but this theory that there's a left-wing conspiracy to suppress right-wing speech is exactly what it sounds like: a conspiracy theory. Elon Musk provided the motivation and access to find it if it was there and it wasn't found.

PowerPoster

In yet another stunning display of hypocrisy, all the right wingers are up in arms about the Biden *campaign* asking for things to be removed, but have no problem at all that government, in it's official capacity under Trump, was also asking for things for be removed. What was being asked to be removed was quite a bit different too... not that nuance matters when you're trying to own the libs.

And Twitter did have a hacked materials policy, they enforced it, and the NYPost et al were posting hacked materials (the idea Hunter Biden actually left his laptop in some random ass store nowhere near where he lived or worked, abandoned it, then the shop owner recognized it as his because it had a Biden campaign sticker... it's beyond preposterous. The files may be partially authentic, but they were clearly stolen and planted.) There's a good argument to be made major news outlets should be exempt from the policy, but until that's an established policy, conservative speech already got enough special treatment. Framing it as devising an excuse is not reflective of the contents of the posted documents.

Also remember when Twitter declined to implement hate speech/racism controls simply because it would ban too many right wing politicians? Lol.

Conservative: N* N* N* I'm going go to $liberal_politician 's house and kill them!
    Twitter/FB: Banned for violating policy.
    Conservative: Help muh freeze peach! They're censoring me simply for having conservative views!
    Other conservatives on every social media site, Fox News, OAN, Newsmax, Breitbart, and dozens of other outlets: We're being silenced! You know we're being silenced because we're telling you all about it through endless platforms!
    Other conservatives: Dems are suppressing free speech!
    Republicans in Florida and other states: Pass laws banning speech they don't like, use the force of government to punish companies for speech they don't like.
    Conservatives: ::crickets::

PowerPoster

Instead of working from home, Musk seems to prefer you make the office your home. lol

https://fortune.com/2022/12/07/elon-...de-inspection/

Aww, I was going to make a comment that beds aren't hard core, beanbags are, but the article beat me to it.

Aww, I was going to make a comment that beds aren't hard core, beanbags are, but the article beat me to it.
    I remember lining up chairs to make a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Instead of working from home, Musk seems to prefer you make the office your home. lol

https://fortune.com/2022/12/07/elon-...de-inspection/
    Those beds are not gonna make hell comfortable.

I doubt his employees would be able to sleep a full hour uninterrupted, since they're all floaters now to fill multiple duties each that they weren't hired for and have little to know knowledge of.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 8th, 2022 at 09:14 AM.

King of sapila

That's is funny. I have written this before somewhere. In Greece you are not only doing one duty per job, so I have taken duties from software and database to accounting and hardware. Even HR department duties.
    So, BRING IT ON ELON!!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    that's is funny. I have written this before somewhere. In greece you are not only doing one duty per job, so i have taken duties from software and database to accounting and hardware. Even hr department duties.
    So, bring it on elon!!
    ha!!

Hmmm, my post got edited. How about

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I remember lining up chairs to make a bed.
    I guess a fireman on a bed ready to slide down a pole tops IT on a bed in an office...

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    That's is funny. I have written this before somewhere. In Greece you are not only doing one duty per job, so I have taken duties from software and database to accounting and hardware. Even HR department duties.
    I do about everything at my job, which has saved me from massive layoffs recently.

Were a private company, so I don't see us going under.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 9th, 2022 at 02:43 AM.

There's nothing wrong with people taking on multiple responsibilities and it's almost bound to happen in small company. In a big company, where people are hired with specific expectations though, it's far less acceptable, especially when the need for them to take on those responsibilities occurs because you already fired the people who were originally hired to fulfil them. I understand the need for Twitter to be profitable but one of the main drivers for that at the moment is the fact that Musk greatly overpaid for it, so he's now making the employees suffer for his hubris. Didn't he even state outright before taking over that there wouldn't be mass layoffs, or am I misremembering that?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    There's nothing wrong with people taking on multiple responsibilities and it's almost bound to happen in small company. In a big company, where people are hired with specific expectations though, it's far less acceptable, especially when the need for them to take on those responsibilities occurs because you already fired the people who were originally hired to fulfil them. I understand the need for Twitter to be profitable but one of the main drivers for that at the moment is the fact that Musk greatly overpaid for it, so he's now making the employees suffer for his hubris. Didn't he even state outright before taking over that there wouldn't be mass layoffs, or am I misremembering that?
    Whether he did say there wouldn't be mass layoffs or not, what a suck place to work. Feel bad for the people that can't afford to leave. Feel sad for the people that believe they owe Musk their servitude. He wouldn't do the same for them.

PowerPoster

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Pretty much sums up Silicon Valley.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Pretty much sums up Silicon Valley.
    Why? In what way? For one thing, you could EASILY find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. For another thing, it's a gross exaggeration to paint Silicon Valley as being a monolithic, homogenous, block, let alone being either scum or villainy. So you don't like the actions or views of some subset of a population, one that you are usually lumped in with by the way, since Silicon Valley isn't one area, but to say it's either wretched, scum, or villainy doesn't seem supported by...anything.

A hive, on the other hand...well, that fits pretty well.

Why? In what way? For one thing, you could EASILY find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. For another thing, it's a gross exaggeration to paint Silicon Valley as being a monolithic, homogenous, block, let alone being either scum or villainy. So you don't like the actions or views of some subset of a population, one that you are usually lumped in with by the way, since Silicon Valley isn't one area, but to say it's either wretched, scum, or villainy doesn't seem supported by...anything.

A hive, on the other hand...well, that fits pretty well.
    I think your are beeing a little dramatic. It was a honey of a post but I had to comb through some of it. I hope my post doesn't sting you. Your friends might swarm against me.

PowerPoster

You may be clover doing it.

Why? In what way?
    Because they tend to lean left politically. I mean, what more do you need?

PowerPoster

In terms of Twitter, SF is not in Silicon Valley, it's north of Santa Clara county which is Silicon Valley. Though people who don't live around here tend to use the term to include anything from San Jose to SF.

The rest of the country makes little distinction. Silicon Valley is pretty much synonymous with software companies, and coders. Who is located where is not something I've ever heard anybody pay any attention to.

PowerPoster

Who is located where is not something I've ever heard anybody pay any attention to.
    Now you have. No need to thank me.

When the term got started it had a lot to do with all the "hi tech" industry, not just software. "hi tech" that's funny. What we considered hi tech in 1982 was a $2,000 IBM PC with a 8088 chip and two floppy drives. I moved away 37 yrs ago. Only about 75miles but no traffic jams around here.

When I said, "the rest of the country", I meant those outside of California. You are not outside of California, so you don't count in that grouping.

However, thank you for making some kind of sense out of that mess of a sentence that you quoted. I couldn't figure it out when I saw it in a quote.

PowerPoster

Maybe the real reason Musk bought Twitter is so no one can sensor him.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/ente...190730179.html

There's a Tesla plant close to here and I remember Musk refusing to follow the COVID guidelines at the plant.

$44Bln is an awful lot to pay for a Bully Pulpit. lol

The downward spiral continues...but I guess it is "free" speech:
    Over the weekend, Elon Musk called for the prosecution of Anthony S. Fauci, the leading infectious-disease expert in the Biden administration. “My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci,” Musk tweeted, mocking transgender people for good measure. Musk then endorsed a complicated right-wing conspiracy theory about Fauci’s role in the covid-19 pandemic.

PowerPoster

The truth is like holy water on a vampire, eh?

King of sapila

Vaxbies vaxbies living on the road.
    Anyhow, how is this "My pronouns are Prosecute/Fauci,” Musk tweeted, mocking transgender people for good measure" ,
    a mocking of transgender people? That seems like: Oh I lost my keys...Hey!Stop mocking transgender people! Does not make sense.

The truth is like holy water on a vampire, eh?
    For people that believe in things like that....

King of sapila

That reminded me of a scene in Erik the viking where the priest does not believe in Valhalla and he can enter through the closed door because it's not there.

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 172425262728293037 ... LastLast