Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Fast and proper way to get the file name and folder part from a full path

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Fast and proper way to get the file name and folder part from a full path

In other thread it was raised a discussion about whether using the PathFindFileName API or not to get the file name part from a path.

For not being off topic there, and because the issue seems important enough to me, I open this new thread to discuss different approaches to get the file name part and the folder part given a full path in a String.

I compared two ways, one using the PathFindFileName API and other using InStrRev and found the API to be quite faster.

Module 1 code:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function PathFindFileName Lib "shlwapi" Alias "PathFindFileNameW" (ByVal pszPath As Long) As Long         '//LPWSTR

Public Function GetFileName1(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPtr As Long

iPtr = StrPtr(nFullPath)
        GetFileName1 = Mid$(nFullPath, (UnsignedSub(PathFindFileName(iPtr), iPtr)) \ 2 + 1)
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder1(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPtr As Long

iPtr = StrPtr(nFullPath)
        GetFolder1 = Left$(nFullPath, (UnsignedSub(PathFindFileName(iPtr), iPtr)) \ 2)
    End Function

Private Function UnsignedSub(ByVal Start As Long, ByVal Decr As Long) As Long
        UnsignedSub = ((Start And &H7FFFFFFF) - (Decr And &H7FFFFFFF)) Xor ((Start Xor Decr) And &H80000000)
    End Function

Public Function GetFileName2(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPos As Long

iPos = InStrRev(nFullPath, "\")
        If iPos > 0 Then
            GetFileName2 = Mid$(nFullPath, iPos + 1)
        Else
            GetFileName2 = nFullPath
        End If
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder2(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPos As Long

If iPos > 0 Then
            GetFolder2 = Left$(nFullPath, iPos)
        End If
    End Function
    Form1 code:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Dim iT1
        Dim c As Long
        Dim f1 As String
        Dim f2 As String
        Const cIterations As Long = 10000000

f1 = "c:\tmp\mysub\whatever\myfile.txt"

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName1(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = "GetFileName API: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName2(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder1(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder API: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder2(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf
    End Sub
    Name:  Getfrompath.png
Views: 575
Size:  20.4 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hyperactive Member

Re: Fast and proper way to get the file name and folder part from a full path

Code:
    dim fn() as string
    fn() = split(fullpath,"/"):filename = fn(ubound(fn()))
    Very hacky way to do it, but it'll output the filename to "filename" and you then have the filename's length and can do a LEFT$() for the rest of the full path to get the path...string manipulation tends to be fairly slow so I don't expect it to beat the API, but it's worth adding to your test to see where it scores :-)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SmUX2k View Post
    Code:
    dim fn() as string
    fn() = split(fullpath,"/"):filename = fn(ubound(fn()))
    Very hacky way to do it, but it'll output the filename to "filename" and you then have the filename's length and can do a LEFT$() for the rest of the full path to get the path...string manipulation tends to be fairly slow so I don't expect it to beat the API, but it's worth adding to your test to see where it scores :-)
    Did you time it?

Does it have any advantage regarding speed or correctness?

PowerPoster

You might consider:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function PathFindFileName Lib "shlwapi" Alias "PathFindFileNameW" ( _
        ByVal pPath As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function PathRemoveFileSpec Lib "shlwapi" Alias "PathRemoveFileSpecW" ( _
        ByVal pPath As Long) As Long

Private Declare Sub PutMem4 Lib "msvbvm60" (ByVal pVar As Long, ByVal NewVal As Long)

Private Declare Function SysAllocString Lib "oleaut32" (ByVal pCopyFrom As Long) As Long

Private Function PathGetFileName(ByRef Path As String) As String
        If Len(Path) > 0 Then
            PutMem4 VarPtr(PathGetFileName), SysAllocString(PathFindFileName(StrPtr(Path)))
        End If
    End Function

Private Function PathGetFolderName(ByVal Path As String) As String
        If Len(Path) > 0 Then
            PathRemoveFileSpec StrPtr(Path)
            PutMem4 VarPtr(PathGetFolderName), SysAllocString(StrPtr(Path))
        End If
    End Function

Private Sub Main()
        Dim P As String

P = "a:\b\c\d e f.txt"
        MsgBox PathGetFolderName(P) _
             & vbNewLine _
             & PathGetFileName(P)
    End Sub

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    Did you time it?

Does it have any advantage regarding speed or correctness?
    Timing it would require setting it up in a project to compare it to your other options, and though it would show all results the speed would be different for me with a high end AMD...but I was curious, I expected it to outperform instrrev, and it was pitifully slow (the one method that gives both filename and path took 4x longer than instrrev took to do both separately):-)

And no, doesn't really have any advantages...it'll always output the filename and you'll always know the rest of the string before that is the path, so it's 100% correct, but I suspect they're all as reliable...it's just another way to do it...the folder is easily pulled out by getting the length of the full path and deducting the length of the filename then using LEFT$ to grab the path...it could probably be coded in a way that you have both returned as path/filename from a function, meaning whatever time it takes is divided by two if you're counting both results.

For the record, the code is:
    Code:
    Public Function GetFolder3(nFullPath As String, outPath As String, outFN As String)
    Dim fn() As String
    fn() = Split(nFullPath, "/"): outFN = fn(UBound(fn()))
    outPath = Left$(nFullPath, Len(nFullPath) - Len(outFN))
    End Function
    Called with

Code:
    GetFolder3 f1, vlin, vlout
    I'm sure you don't need the code given that it is far slower, but still...it's there :-P

PowerPoster

OK, test program updated:

Module1:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function PathFindFileName Lib "shlwapi" Alias "PathFindFileNameW" (ByVal pszPath As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function PathRemoveFileSpec Lib "shlwapi" Alias "PathRemoveFileSpecW" (ByVal pPath As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub PutMem4 Lib "msvbvm60" (ByVal pVar As Long, ByVal NewVal As Long)
    Private Declare Function SysAllocString Lib "oleaut32" (ByVal pCopyFrom As Long) As Long

Public Function GetFileName_API1(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPtr As Long

iPtr = StrPtr(nFullPath)
        GetFileName_API1 = Mid$(nFullPath, (UnsignedSub(PathFindFileName(iPtr), iPtr)) \ 2 + 1)
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder_API1(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPtr As Long

iPtr = StrPtr(nFullPath)
        GetFolder_API1 = Left$(nFullPath, (UnsignedSub(PathFindFileName(iPtr), iPtr)) \ 2)
    End Function

Private Function UnsignedSub(ByVal Start As Long, ByVal Decr As Long) As Long
        UnsignedSub = ((Start And &H7FFFFFFF) - (Decr And &H7FFFFFFF)) Xor ((Start Xor Decr) And &H80000000)
    End Function

Public Function GetFileName_InStrRev(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPos As Long

If iPos > 0 Then
            GetFileName_InStrRev = Mid$(nFullPath, iPos + 1)
        Else
            GetFileName_InStrRev = nFullPath
        End If
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder_InStrRev(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim iPos As Long

If iPos > 0 Then
            GetFolder_InStrRev = Left$(nFullPath, iPos)
        End If
    End Function

Public Function GetFileName_SmUX2k(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim fn() As String

fn() = Split(nFullPath, "/")
        GetFileName_SmUX2k = fn(UBound(fn()))
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder_SmUX2k(nFullPath As String) As String
        Dim fn() As String
        Dim outFN As String

fn() = Split(nFullPath, "/")
        outFN = fn(UBound(fn()))
        GetFolder_SmUX2k = Left$(nFullPath, Len(nFullPath) - Len(outFN))
    End Function

Public Function GetFileName_dilettante(ByRef Path As String) As String
        If Len(Path) > 0 Then
            PutMem4 VarPtr(GetFileName_dilettante), SysAllocString(PathFindFileName(StrPtr(Path)))
        End If
    End Function

Public Function GetFolder_dilettante(ByVal Path As String) As String
        If Len(Path) > 0 Then
            PathRemoveFileSpec StrPtr(Path)
            PutMem4 VarPtr(GetFolder_dilettante), SysAllocString(StrPtr(Path))
        End If
    End Function
    Form1:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Dim iT1
        Dim c As Long
        Dim f1 As String
        Dim f2 As String

f1 = "c:\tmp\mysub\whatever\myfile.txt"

Text1.Text = ""

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_InStrRev(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_InStrRev(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_API1(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_API1: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_API1(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_API1: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_SmUX2k(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_SmUX2k: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_SmUX2k(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_SmUX2k: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_dilettante(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_dilettante: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_dilettante: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

End Sub
    Result:
    Name:  Getfrompath2.png
Views: 579
Size:  35.6 KB

I would like to know if there is any advantage in dilettante approach (regarding correctness?) since the functions don't seem to be faster.

PowerPoster

A lot of overhead can be removed by using a type library. That can remove quite a few of the calls involved as well as eliminating the cost of calling through Declares.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    A lot of overhead can be removed by using a type library. That can remove quite a few of the calls involved as well as eliminating the cost of calling through Declares.
    Hmm, ok, that may be an option, but the idea is to have these functions handy, so that you can easily copy and paste them into any project easily.

PowerPoster

Interesting, when I run that code in the IDE on my system the API and INSTRREV methods are almost identical to each other with the API having a very slight advantage. The slower ones on the other hand are painfully slow. both instr and api are in the 2s where the slower methods are in the 20s

Hyperactive Member

Oh, and something I should mention...GetTickCount() API will return the number of milliseconds (like timer, but timer returns the number of seconds since the PC booted while GTK returns the number of milliseconds). Using this, you don't necessarily need to use such a high number of iterations...it's used in exactly the same way as timer, you just need to reference the API and replace "timer" with "GetTickCount()"

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....time-a-process will give further info

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SmUX2k View Post
    Oh, and something I should mention...GetTickCount() API will return the number of milliseconds (like timer, but timer returns the number of seconds since the PC booted while GTK returns the number of milliseconds). Using this, you don't necessarily need to use such a high number of iterations...it's used in exactly the same way as timer, you just need to reference the API and replace "timer" with "GetTickCount()"

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....time-a-process will give further info
    I use that because it works good enough for me, and with it I don't need to copy any API declaration.
    In fact, I never used GetTickCount (that I recall), maybe it is better because it is what almost anybody else I see uses.

Yes, more accuracy --> less iterations... and more copy paste.

PowerPoster

I didn't say you had to use InStrRev I said that's one way to accomplish it. I further noted how the API did it (character walk forward, return last pos). Also, vbspeed.net has alternate implementations of InStrRev that are substantially faster; see also, GetFile implementations.

What's the speed difference of a pure VB6 reimplementation?

Code:
    //
    STDAPI_(LPTSTR) PathFindFileName(LPCTSTR pPath)
    {
        LPCTSTR pT = pPath;

RIPMSG(pPath && IS_VALID_STRING_PTR(pPath, -1), "PathFindFileName: caller passed bad pPath");

if (pPath)
        {
            for ( ; *pPath; pPath = FAST_CharNext(pPath))
            {
                if ((pPath[0] == TEXT('\\') || pPath[0] == TEXT(':') || pPath[0] == TEXT('/'))
                    && pPath[1] &&  pPath[1] != TEXT('\\')  &&   pPath[1] != TEXT('/'))
                    pT = pPath + 1;
            }
        }

return (LPTSTR)pT;   // const -> non const
    }
    Will the API still come out on top vs all the native VB6 alternatives? I'd be curious to know. Of course, even if faster, presumably we'd still be naughty for using them, as dilettante has declared there's one correct way, using the API
    Last edited by fafalone; Apr 25th, 2022 at 11:48 PM.

PowerPoster

I never declared any such thing. My point is that these shell functions are provided for a reason. Using them makes sense in order to avoid potential errors reinventing the wheel.

PowerPoster

I added vbSpeed InStrRev08 as InStrRev2 in the test, performing better than the original InStrRev but not better than the API.
    But vbSpeed GetFile05 and GetPath05 perform a bit better than the API.

I also added another function to the comparison pool, GetExtension to get the file extension.

What I don't like of the vbSpeed functions is that they require a class to fire its terminate event, something that cannot be guaranteed while working on the IDE.

Name:  Getfrompath3.png
Views: 450
Size:  61.3 KB

My own functions. It looks for both Path-Delimiters: "\" and "/"
    No idea about performance.
    Note: Done in Office-VBA 64-Bit (Note "LongPtr" and "PtrSafe")
    And yes, i'm aware of the StrReverse
    Code:
    '#########################################################################################################################
    'StrCSpn scans Source for the first occurrence of any of the characters that are part of CharSet,
    'Returns the length of the initial part of Source not (!!) containing any of the characters that are part of CharSet.
    'This is the length of Source if none of the characters in CharSet are found in source.
    Public Declare PtrSafe Function StrCSpn Lib "SHLWAPI" Alias "StrCSpnW" (ByVal lpSource As LongPtr, ByVal lpCharSet As LongPtr) As Long
    Public Declare PtrSafe Function StrCSpnI Lib "SHLWAPI" Alias "StrCSpnIW" (ByVal lpSource As LongPtr, ByVal lpCharSet As LongPtr) As Long
    '#########################################################################################################################

'###############################################################################################
    'RPos: find last occurence of Delimiter(s) in Source
    '###############################################################################################
    Public Function RPos(ByVal Source As String, _
                         ByVal Delimiters As String, _
                         Optional ByVal CompareMethod As VbCompareMethod = vbBinaryCompare) As Long
        If CompareMethod <> vbDatabaseCompare And Delimiters <> "" Then 'If vbDatabaseCompare or no Delimiters --> Return 0
            If CompareMethod = vbBinaryCompare Then 'Case-Sensitive
                RPos = Len(Source) - StrCSpn(StrPtr(StrReverse(Source)), StrPtr(Delimiters))
            Else
                RPos = Len(Source) - StrCSpnI(StrPtr(StrReverse(Source)), StrPtr(Delimiters))
            End If
        Else
            RPos = 0
        End If
    End Function

Private Function FileNameHelper(ByVal Source As String) As String
        FileNameHelper = Mid$(Source, RPos(Source, "/\") + 1)
    End Function

'ExtractFilePath: Extract FilePath from Fullpath
    'Flag IncludeDel: False --> Delete Delimiter from Result, True --> Don't delete Delimiter from Result
    Public Function ExtractFilePath(ByVal Source As String, Optional ByVal IncludeDel As Boolean = True) As String
    Dim i As Long
        If IncludeDel Then i = 0 Else i = -1
        ExtractFilePath = Left$(Source, RPos(Source, "/\") + i)
    End Function

'ExtractFileName: Extract Filename from Fullpath with/without Extension
    Public Function ExtractFileName(ByVal Source As String, Optional ByVal IncludeExt As Boolean = True) As String
    Dim sFileName As String
        sFileName = FileNameHelper(Source)
        If IncludeExt Then ExtractFileName = sFileName Else ExtractFileName = Left$(sFileName, RPos(sFileName, ".") - 1)
    End Function

'ExtractFileExt: Extract Extension from Fullpath
    Public Function ExtractFileExt(ByVal Source As String) As String
    Dim sFileName As String
        sFileName = FileNameHelper(Source)
        ExtractFileExt = Mid$(sFileName, RPos(sFileName, ".") + 1)
    End Function
    How To use:
    Code:
    Debug.Print ExtractFilePath("C:\Temp\Lazarus\ExtendedSplit.xlsm")
    Debug.Print ExtractFileName("C:\Temp\Lazarus\ExtendedSplit.xlsm")
    Debug.Print ExtractFileExt("C:\Temp\Lazarus\ExtendedSplit.xlsm")
    Returns:
    C:\Temp\Lazarus\
    ExtendedSplit.xlsm
    xlsm
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

Updated with Zvoni's functions:

Name:  Getfrompath4.png
Views: 528
Size:  70.9 KB

Eh? Not even that bad....
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Eh? Not even that bad....
    No, not bad.

The Idiot

also, we need to remember that some comparison when we use 1000+ loops are using memory buffer,
    so just the first one is "slow" the other can go fast.
    I mean, who needs that many requests for the same string?

so remove
    f1 as string
    f1 = ****

and add

Code:
    Private Function f1() As String
        Dim i&

f1 = "C:\"

For i = 1 To 10
            f1 = f1 & Chr(65 + Int((Rnd * 25)))
        Next i
        f1 = f1 & "\"
        For i = 1 To 10
        Next i

f1 = f1 & ".TXT"

End Function
    change
    Const cIterations As Long = 500000
    and remember randomize timer

and try again.

my result:
    GetFileName_API1: 2,37
    GetFolder_API1: 2,34
    GetExtension_API1: 2,42
    GetFileName_InStrRev: 2,45
    GetFolder_InStrRev: 2,45
    GetFileName_SmUX2k: 2,7
    GetFolder_SmUX2k: 2,76
    GetFileName_dilettante: 2,36
    GetFolder_dilettante: 2,75
    GetFileName_InStrRev2: 2,36
    GetFolder_InStrRev2: 2,36
    GetFileName_vbSpeed: 2,34
    GetFolder_vbSpeed: 2,34
    GetExtension_vbSpeed: 2,33
    ExtractFileName Zvoni: 2,52
    ExtractFilePath Zvoni: 2,46
    ExtractFileExt Zvoni: 2,61

edit: fixed the randomize thing, I dont use rnd() anymore. I have my own rnd function, so now it works.
    Last edited by baka; Apr 26th, 2022 at 04:32 AM.

PowerPoster

Good point baka about the CPU caching the results.
    But now I see that what you are measuring, is mainly the time spent in the f1 function, and that's why you get so close results for all the functions, because the impact of what we actually are trying to measure is minimized in the overall time elapsed there (that is mainly making the paths).

So I propose to make all the paths in advance and to store them in an array.
    This is Form1 code:

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private mf1(100000) As String

Dim iT1
        Dim c As Long
        'Dim f1 As String
        Dim f2 As String

'f1 = "c:\tmp\mysub\whatever\myfile.txt"
        Init_f1

Text1.Text = ""

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_API1(f1)
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_API1(f1)
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetExtension_API1(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetExtension_API1: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_InStrRev(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_InStrRev(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_InStrRev: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_SmUX2k(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_SmUX2k: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_dilettante(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_dilettante: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_dilettante: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_InStrRev2(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_InStrRev2: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_InStrRev2(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_InStrRev2: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_vbSpeed(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_vbSpeed(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetExtension_vbSpeed(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetExtension_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFileName(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFileName Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFilePath(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFilePath Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFileExt(f1)
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFileExt Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf
    End Sub

Private Function f1File() As String
        Dim i&

f1File = "C:\"

For i = 1 To 10
            f1File = f1File & Chr(65 + Int((Rnd * 25)))
        Next i
        f1File = f1File & "\"
        For i = 1 To 10
        Next i

f1File = f1File & ".TXT"

End Function

Private Sub Init_f1()
        Dim c As Long

For c = 0 To UBound(mf1)
            mf1(c) = f1File
        Next
    End Sub

Static c As Long

c = c + 1
        If c > 100000 Then c = 0
        f1 = mf1(c)
    End Function
    My results:

Name:  Getfrompath5.png
Views: 495
Size:  87.2 KB

It seems that the original API functions are now on pair with vbSpeed's ones.
    Only GetExtension has a substantial difference.

Thank you!

The Idiot

not sure.
    I have a "builder", that creates tons of data that is later used by my game. (It creates multiple files, databases, graphic files, sound etc, index stuff, sorting etc, we are talking 100MB+ of data)
    the first time I start the builder is slow, but after that its ultrafast. even if I close the program and start it again one hour later.
    it seems to cache lots of data that is used again. even a "randomized" array, can be used again.

so I did another try but this time:

1000000 times (so 1/10 of what you use) so even if F1 eat CPU, it should be almost the same time for all the F1 created. as they are all the same function, same string length.
    but the files are:

Code:
    Const bT$ = "C:\"
    Const rT$ = ".TXT"

Dim i&

f1 = bT
        For i = 1 To 2
        Next i
        f1 = f1 & "\"
        For i = 1 To 2
        Next i
        f1 = f1 & rT
    End Function
    the result:

Code:
    GetFileName_API1: 1,21
    GetFolder_API1: 1,15
    GetExtension_API1: 1,27
    GetFileName_InStrRev: 1,27
    GetFolder_InStrRev: 1,27
    GetFileName_SmUX2k: 1,87
    GetFolder_SmUX2k: 1,93
    GetFileName_dilettante: 1,14
    GetFolder_dilettante: 1,96
    GetFileName_InStrRev2: 1,16
    GetFolder_InStrRev2: 1,15
    GetFileName_vbSpeed: 1,12
    GetFolder_vbSpeed: 1,12
    GetExtension_vbSpeed: 1,11
    ExtractFileName Zvoni: 1,5
    ExtractFilePath Zvoni: 1,36
    ExtractFileExt Zvoni: 1,73
    so, if you multiply by 10 you are not getting the same value as you have it.
    and I mean for the "bad" ones, like
    GetFolder_dilettante: 1,96
    that compared to GetExtension_vbSpeed 1,11 is not as much difference as 1,37 <> 9,38 from your result.
    Last edited by baka; Apr 26th, 2022 at 06:22 AM.

PowerPoster

Concatenating strings with '&' takes lot of time.

It is the same time for all, yes, but if you are measuring something very fast adding something very slow for all items, the differences (of what you actually want to compare) will of course be minimized.

On the other hand, do you think that the CPU will cache the results of 100,000 randomized items?

PS: Rnd is ultra slow too.

The Idiot

if u want the strings to be made before calculation, better to create a unique string for all
    here's my result:

Code:
    GetFileName_API1: 0,21
    GetFolder_API1: 0,2
    GetExtension_API1: 0,36
    GetFileName_InStrRev: 0,32
    GetFolder_InStrRev: 0,32        (0,31)
    GetFileName_SmUX2k: 1,01    (0,99)
    GetFolder_SmUX2k: 1,04         (1,05)
    GetFileName_dilettante: 0,22
    GetFolder_dilettante: 1,05        (1,02)
    GetFileName_InStrRev2: 0,26   (0,25)
    GetFolder_InStrRev2: 0,25
    GetFileName_vbSpeed: 0,21
    GetFolder_vbSpeed: 0,21
    GetExtension_vbSpeed: 0,21
    ExtractFileName Zvoni: 0,62
    ExtractFilePath Zvoni: 0,48     (0,49)
    ExtractFileExt Zvoni: 0,82
    (2nd try if different)

only 1.000.000 loops
    since I get out of memory if I try more
    I use: Private mf1(1 To 17, 1 To cIterations) As String * 12

example: f2 = GetFileName_API1(mf1(1, c))
    so each one is unique, next is f2 = GetFolder_API1(mf1(2, c)) and so on.
    Last edited by baka; Apr 26th, 2022 at 08:23 AM.

PowerPoster

I never declared any such thing. My point is that these shell functions are provided for a reason. Using them makes sense in order to avoid potential errors reinventing the wheel.
    Yes you did.

Do what you want, but (A) this is the correct way to do it, and (B) that wasn't the point.

There actually is no risk of failure since LARGEADDRESSAWARE isn't safe for VB6 programs anyway and it should not be used.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    if u want the strings to be made before calculation, better to create a unique string for all
    I don't think that's necessary. More than 10 should do it (I guess). And 100,000 should be far more than enough.
    How much would the CPU cache? I think only a couple of registers.
    Perhaps someone with knowledge about this issue could clarify it (wqweto, The trick, Niya, others).

On the other hand, the real actual data won't be completely different anyways, they'll repeat at some point too.
    I mean, if we are dealing with file paths, some files paths will repeat from time to time.
    100,000 different files seems already too randomized compared to what real data will be most of the times IMO.

The Idiot

not sure, but my builder-tool that is doing tons of processing seems to go at least x10 speed the second time I run it.
    so if u create a string in a specific region in the memory, it can be accessed again
    if u randomize 10.000 strings, the second time they are used they are now accessed faster.
    maybe not as fast and maybe not by all functions/API. but if u compare my result with yours theres a difference.
    the question is. why if not the cpu is accessing that memory faster.

but looking at the result is not that is totally different from yours.
    the fastest seems to be the same here, but the differences in some of the result is not as big.

GetFileName_API1: 0,21
    GetFolder_API1: 0,2
    GetFileName_vbSpeed: 0,21
    GetFolder_vbSpeed: 0,21
    GetExtension_vbSpeed: 0,21

this seems to be the fastest one no matter method we use.

but, comparing GetFolder_dilettante, that is the slowest: 1,05 and yours 9,38
    and we compare with GetExtension_vbSpeed, we have

5x times slower my result
    7,6x times slower your result

its 50% slower in your result.
    sure the strings in my run are "12 in length" while yours "28 in length" that could be the reason.

if I do another try with my method, but 28 in length, I get:

GetExtension_vbSpeed: 0,24
    GetFolder_dilettante: 1,08

here we have: x4,5 times slower. so the 28 in length is not the answer for the difference.
    why do we have this difference?

I think this is very important.
    since we have done many test in the past, comparing different methods.
    but if the caching is there, calling the memory faster "if" they are in the memory region and if called a second time. it could ruin the comparison.
    Last edited by baka; Apr 26th, 2022 at 09:24 AM.

PowerPoster

not sure, but my builder-tool that is doing tons of processing seems to go at least x10 speed the second time I run it.
    There must be something else.

so if u create a string in a specific region in the memory, it can be accessed again
    if u randomize 10.000 strings, the second time they are used they are now accessed faster.
    If they are accessed faster, better, because we don't want to measure the time spent in accessing the strings in memory, but the time spent in the functions that we are comparing.

maybe not as fast and maybe not by all functions/API. but if u compare my result with yours theres a difference.
    I didn't understand that.

the question is. why if not the cpu is accessing that memory faster.
    I repeat: it doesn't matter. If the memory was accessed with no time at all, it would be ideal, because we are not trying to measure that. They are just "parasitic" times that are involved.

The problem of having a single, constant, never changing string was that the compiler made some short-circuiting for optimization (or something like that). So, with just a few different elements it should be enough IMO.

GetExtension_vbSpeed: 0,24
    GetFolder_dilettante: 1,08

are we have: x4,5 times slower. so the 28 in length is not the answer for the difference.
    why do we have this difference?

I think this is very important.
    I got lost.

We have different computers already and we can't change that.
    At least let's compare the same things.

Or if we are going to compare different scenarios, let's do it just with the same machine (yours or mine).

The Idiot

GetFolder_dilettante
    12 len string: 1,05
    28 len string: 1,08
    yours: 9,38
    yours fixed string: 8,88

GetExtension_vbSpeed
    12 len string: 0,21
    28 len string: 0,24
    yours: 1,23
    yours fixed string: 0,69

1,05 / 0,21 = 5
    1,08 / 0,24 = 4,5
    9,38 / 1,23 = 7,62
    8,88 / 0,69 = 12,86

as u can see. 4,5-5 times slower is GetFolder_dilettante in my run, while 7,62 times slower in your run, and if we compare the "old fixed string" we have 12,86 times slower.

the 3 methods are using Init_f1
    mine is creating 1 string for each call, so I have 17.000.000 strings created before I run the loops
    while yours is only creating 100.000 different strings that are used sequentially
    with 10.000.000 x 17 loops, each unique string will be used 1.700 times
    I do not call any "function" in the loop to get the "string" instead I have the string in the array,
    that could also increase speed a bit. that could be the reason yours is 50% slower in comparison?
    and if we compare the old fixed string, its 150% slower in comparison.

PowerPoster

GetFolder_dilettante
    12 len string: 1,05
    28 len string: 1,08
    yours: 9,38
    yours fixed string: 8,88

GetExtension_vbSpeed
    12 len string: 0,21
    28 len string: 0,24
    yours: 1,23
    yours fixed string: 0,69

1,05 / 0,21 = 5
    1,08 / 0,24 = 4,5
    9,38 / 1,23 = 7,62
    8,88 / 0,69 = 12,86

as u can see. 4,5-5 times slower is GetFolder_dilettante in my run, while 7,62 times slower in your run, and if we compare the "old fixed string" we have 12,86 times slower.

the 3 methods are using Init_f1
    mine is creating 1 string for each call, so I have 17.000.000 strings created before I run the loops
    while yours is only creating 100.000 different strings that are used sequentially
    with 10.000.000 x 17 loops, each unique string will be used 1.700 times
    I do not call any "function" in the loop to get the "string" instead I have the string in the array,
    that could also increase speed a bit. that could be the reason yours is 50% slower in comparison?
    and if we compare the old fixed string, its 150% slower in comparison.
    I didn't understand one single thing.

Please post the project to be able to run it, see what it is doing and come to a conclusion what it means.

The Idiot

its a comparison between GetFolder_dilettante and GetExtension_vbSpeed
    for all 4 methods.

so if it takes 1 minute to run GetExtension_vbSpeed it takes 5 minutes to run using GetFolder_dilettante using 12 len string method.
    thats what Im comparing.

and as u see. the 4 methods show different comparison. it should not be that huge of a difference.

just add:

this is the 28 string len (since I don't have enough memory I can only do 500.000 loops with 28 len, in 12 len I can increase to 1.000.000 loops)

Code:
    Option Explicit

Const cIterations As Long = 500000
    Private mf1(1 To 17, 1 To cIterations) As String * 28

Dim iT1
        Dim c As Long
        Dim f2 As String

Init_f1

Text1.Text = ""

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_API1(mf1(1, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_API1(mf1(2, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetExtension_API1(mf1(3, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetExtension_API1: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_InStrRev(mf1(4, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_InStrRev(mf1(5, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_SmUX2k(mf1(6, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_SmUX2k(mf1(7, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_dilettante(mf1(8, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_SmUX2k(mf1(9, c))
        Next

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_InStrRev2(mf1(10, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_InStrRev2: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_InStrRev2(mf1(11, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_InStrRev2: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFileName_vbSpeed(mf1(12, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFileName_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetFolder_vbSpeed(mf1(13, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetFolder_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = GetExtension_vbSpeed(mf1(14, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "GetExtension_vbSpeed: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFileName(mf1(15, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFileName Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFilePath(mf1(16, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFilePath Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf

iT1 = Timer
        For c = 1 To cIterations
            f2 = ExtractFileExt(mf1(17, c))
        Next
        Text1.Text = Text1.Text & "ExtractFileExt Zvoni: " & Round(Timer - iT1, 2) & vbCrLf
    End Sub

Private Function f1File() As String
        Dim i&

f1File = "C:\"

For i = 1 To 10
        Next i
        f1File = f1File & "\"
        For i = 1 To 10
        Next i

f1File = f1File & ".TXT"

End Function

Private Sub Init_f1()
        Dim c As Long
        Dim d As Long

For c = 1 To cIterations
            For d = 1 To 17
            mf1(d, c) = f1File
            Next d
        Next
    End Sub

PowerPoster

I copy/pasted your code into Form1, compiled (with all optimizations) and ran.

I get very low numbers in all, but it took more than half a minute to prepare the strings (Init_f1).

Name:  Getfrompath6.png
Views: 490
Size:  69.6 KB

Not sure what it is supposed to mean.

The Idiot

I explained already.

just take your own numbers:

GetFolder_dilettante: 0,52
    GetExtension_vbSpeed 0,09

0,52 / 0,09 = 5,77

its a factor of 5,77
    the other test we have factors: 5 and 4,5 and 7,62 and 12,86

do you understand?
    how reliable are the test?

in your first try, with one string (that all the function will use) we get a factor of 12,86
    but if all strings are unique we get a factor of 4.5 - 5,7.
    that means, using one string will make GetExtension_vbSpeed seems to be 12 times better.
    but using unique strings its around 5 times better.

this means that theres a cache going on, the cpu is remembering the string and in some cases making the function faster.
    but not for all types of functions/apis.
    since in a real situation we are not looping millions of times the same string, we need a more reliable comparison.
    thats why I wrote about using unique strings to see how all the methods works.

PowerPoster

what is 12,86? (I can't figure that)

PowerPoster

1,05 / 0,21 = 5
    1,08 / 0,24 = 4,5
    9,38 / 1,23 = 7,62
    8,88 / 0,69 = 12,86
    The thing is that you post numbers but don't explain what they come from or what they mean.

What is 8,88 and what is 0,69?

PowerPoster

Most of us already have a type library registered on dev machines to do this, so:

Code:
    Option Explicit

'Requires a reference to:
    '
    '   Edanmo's OLE interfaces & functions v1.81 (olelib.tlb) OR EQUIVALENT.

Private Function PathGetFileName(ByRef Path As String) As String
        PathGetFileName = SysAllocString(PathFindFileName(Path))
    End Function

Private Function PathGetFolderName(ByVal Path As String) As String
        PathRemoveFileSpec Path
        PathGetFolderName = SysAllocString(StrPtr(Path))
    End Function

Private Sub Main()
        Dim P As String

P = "a:\b\c\d.txt"
        MsgBox PathGetFolderName(P) _
             & vbNewLine _
             & PathGetFileName(P)
    End Sub
    And of course there is nothing to deploy so the cost is nothing and both operations should run a little faster. I'm not sure why there is an obsession over speed for this though anyway. A need for speed here should be pretty rare.

The Idiot

PowerPoster

Yes, that one (8,88 from GetFolder_dilettante) is not very fast.
    But what was the point with bringing those numbers, since we were already clear that using a single fixed string was a mistake, and we already had agreed not to do that anymore?

The discussion was whether to have 100,000 different items were enough or not, or if 10 different items were already enough.
    At least that was what I had in mind.

And I'll forget about options that are already clear that are slower, I would not include them anymore in the tests if they are source of confusion.

The only ones that seems to be in race are the API1 and vbSpeed ones.
    They are the ones highlighted in the image of post #20.

PowerPoster

And of course there is nothing to deploy so the cost is nothing and both operations should run a little faster.
    I don't have it (registered).

I'm not sure why there is an obsession over speed for this though anyway.
    Did you see any "obsession"?

A need for speed here should be pretty rare.
    Yes, it is rare. I never cared/needed for the speed on these functions until now.

But since we are already discussing it, should we stop?

I opened this thread for two things: (1) "Fast" and (2) "proper".

I hoped that perhaps you had some answer for "proper".
    But it seems that all proposed functions return proper results, and they will do it in the future since it is very unlikely that Windows will change the character for directory separation ("\") or extension separation (".").

I also tested mines with paths over MAX_PATH and they worked. What else could be not correct?

PowerPoster

Maximum Path Length Limitation

In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.
    The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters.

PowerPoster

Perhaps you have this one instead?

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ary-oleexp-tlb

Hopefully it provides coverage of the functions I used above and retained the function signatures Edanmo's type library defines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast