Thread: File copy seems to fail on Windows Embedded

Question File copy seems to fail on Windows Embedded

I need to monitor a network folder and copy down new files as they are posted. I have everything working except the actual copying.

I'm developing on a windows 10 PC and everything works perfectly. The problem is that the app needs to run an an HP t640 Thin Client running Windows 10 embedded.

The copy command seems to work, but the file does not appear in my target directory. However, Windows Embedded (W.E.) thinks the file was copied. I get a failure to overwrite (yes I know I can turn overwrite on, I actually stopped telling it to overwrite as part of the troubleshooting) if I retry the operation, even though the file is not visibly there.

If I search the thin client, the W.E. finds the file in a very deep location but does not show me exactly where the file is!!

It is acting like the WOW64 used to. Pretending that the file was copied to your location but actually keeping it in the Roaming profile directory structure.

The network share is mapped as a drive and the T/C has access to the files there effortlessly

Has anyone run into this before? Let me know if you need more info, I think I covered it here pretty well, but if I was 100% then I wouldn't be here, right?

Development PC is Windows 10, 64 bit, current update
    Target OS is Windows 10 embedded on HP T640 Thin Client
    VB is Visual Studio 2017, v15.9.37

Re: File copy seems to fail on Windows Embedded

Are you sure about the drive mapping? What if you use a full URI instead of a mapped drive? I tend to not trust mapped drives as they can change.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If you use Windows Explorer on the thin client, and can locate the file, click on the path and copy it to Notepad. That should show you where the file actually is. I always set Windows to show the full path in the title bar also. The thin client may not be storing the file where you think it is.

O M G !!! I must have been really tired last night. I came up with a quick, sort of elegant solution that works perfectly.
    I created a File System Object and let the fso copy the file for me. Previously, VB was doing the copying. I realized if the file system is having an issue with my copy command, then I'll let the file system copy the file.

weirdly, it comes in and is marked as Read Only, but that's a quick fix.