Thread: two monitors side by side or one big in diameter?

Lively Member

two monitors side by side or one big in diameter?

Hello everyone,

Currently, I'm using two different monitors side-by-side, and now maybe it is time for a new setup. I'm wondering is it better to go with 2x 24" for example or a single 49" monitor? I don't know how Windows is managing desktop when only one big monitor is connected?

This is my setup and it bothers me with backlit difference + color differences.

Name:  monitor setup.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  18.0 KB

The problem is, one is Lenovo and one is DELL. I prefer DELL but there was no choice at the time. Now I'm looking for something like this (the last one - DELL) https://homeglobepro.com/home-office...onitor-review/ but I never had one big monitor on my desk. How do I make 2 desktop surfaces or 4 if possible, on a single monitor?

Re: two monitors side by side or one big in diameter?

I prefer two, myself. That way I can have VS running on one, with a browser running on the other. One large monitor would need to be split in two, which just doesn't seem as nice, to me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Monitors usually have "color profiles" that are used to help synchronize the color balance of multiple monitors. These are usually spelled out in "monitor drivers" (which are often nothing more than text-based .INF files) but they need to be "installed."

Without that information Windows just applies some generic profile which may not match the monitors you have at all. Then you have the settings tweaks of the monitors themselves which adds more confusion.

Where this is critical, there are hardware/software solutions that use a device you place on each monitor to help it "read" the colors actually being shown. I think they display patterns and read the results in order to tweak color settings to match a goal.

Such monitor calibration tools seem to range in price from the cost of a monitor itself upward (for more sophisticated products) quite a bit. Some kits provide tools to calibrate colors for both monitors and printers.

Quote Originally Posted by ivansmo View Post
    Hello everyone,

Currently, I'm using two different monitors side-by-side, and now maybe it is time for a new setup. I'm wondering is it better to go with 2x 24" for example or a single 49" monitor? I don't know how Windows is managing desktop when only one big monitor is connected?

This is my setup and it bothers me with backlit difference + color differences.

Name:  monitor setup.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  18.0 KB

The problem is, one is Lenovo and one is DELL. I prefer DELL but there was no choice at the time. Now I'm looking for something like this (the last one - DELL) https://homeglobepro.com/home-office...onitor-review/ but I never had one big monitor on my desk. How do I make 2 desktop surfaces or 4 if possible, on a single monitor?
    I prefer two. My right monitor is vertical. It comes in handy looking at long sections of code and SQL.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I use two monitors and I think I prefer it, but I've never had one ultra-high monitor so it might just be what I'm used to. If you're using Windows 11 then it can help you manage multiple windows. You can hover over the Maximise button on a title bar and then choose a section of a layout to dock that windows to, then choose other windows to dock in the other sections. You can then activate or close the layout as a group, which is handy. The layouts available depend on the size of the monitor, so you'd probably get some useful ones specific to an ultra-wide. I'm sure there are third-party tools for this and more but it's nice to have it baked in.

Lively Member

I'll stay with 2x monitor setup. I don't really need anything else.

I have Windows 11 (upgrade from win 10) and everything works great. Sometimes when PC goes to sleep one monitor won't wake up, but I do turn ON/OFF the second monitor and that is how I fix things

I like to have two separate monitors. It gives me more acknowledge border of where things actually are at a specific time.

2 jmcilhinney: I have a few things to ask you, about the actual programming approach. I'm afraid of all the knowledge you have, and the fact I wouldn't understand your answer. For that occasion, I'll start a new thread with screenshots or maybe give you my project so you can take an inside look?
    Last edited by ivansmo; Apr 28th, 2022 at 04:15 PM.

Don't forget this option(s).

15 Tools To Split Your Monitor’s Screen In Windows And macOS
    https://www.geckoandfly.com/26633/sp...windows-macos/

Fanatic Member

I have 5 monitors connected

Very usefull for a lot of things when developping, having zoom meetings...

King of sapila

I have 30 monitors connected...
    I'm a security guard.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

I'm the kind of guy that when something works I stick with it:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Apr 29th, 2022 at 05:37 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

King of sapila

Now with 10 of those you can do a free X-Ray!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·