Thread: Minimize an application with no keyboard.

King of sapila

Minimize an application with no keyboard.

I'm on a situation that a 3rd party APP is covering all the screen as those are embeded windows no keyboard machines, like the ones used to, let's say order something in a coffee shop at the cashier.
    The machines using it have no keyboard. What I need to do is minimize the app but without a keyboard I can only hope to capture a "click" on the screen.
    I was thinking to get a double click with API but the issue is that if someone orders more of the same product and the cashier adds them in, will double click for adding products an thus the app will minimize with no reason.

Any thoughts?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Re: Minimize an application with no keyboard.

Click and drag down?

King of sapila

Click on what?
    There is no visual form border.
    I was trying DxWnd that hooks apps and display them in windows mode but this particular app will do a "blink" and never show when hooked.

PowerPoster

I thought you had a window that you could detect a double-click on already, and was just offering an alternate suggestion to avoid the double-click problem.

Is the third-party app the ordering app, or is it something that pops-up occasionally over the ordering app?

PowerPoster

This is kinda ugly, but what about a fast timer that checks for the mouse button down. When detected, record the GetTickCount and if it stays down for a second then minimize?

Magic square?

What is it that you CAN capture? I assume you have no control over the 3rd party app, or it's coding, but it does sound like you can capture some kind of user interaction even when the 3rd party app has taken over the screen. So, what user interaction can you capture? Just the fact that there was a click, or can you also know where the click happened?

If you know where the click happened, you could designate something on the screen as the magic area where a click would result in the 3rd party app being forced to minimize. That would have to be 'magic', though, because you wouldn't be giving the user any feedback, since the 3rd party app would be in the way. Therefore, a single click might be a bad idea, in which case you might do something like, "a click in the quadrants, NW, NE, SE, then SW will cause the app to minimize."

It all comes down to what user interaction is getting through the 3rd party app for you to be able to respond to, though.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

The only user interaction is the touch screen.
    I don't know if this is captured in API (aka something like spy++) . I have to run a capturer to see if it captures something.

I guess I'm unclear on a fundamental point: Are you writing something that is being blocked by this 3rd party app, or are you just trying to work with software and hardware that you have limited control over? If you are writing something, then the question I am asking is: What input do you receive when the user taps the screen? Of course, if you are NOT writing something, then it doesn't much matter, since you won't be receiving anything anyways.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Nop, not writing something, this is a 3rd party software.