Thread: [RESOLVED] Cannot pass parameters to report

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Cannot pass parameters to report

I have used this method many times with success, but all of a sudden its not working.

I have a report with two parameters.

I am trying to pass these two with the following code :

Code:
    Me.PenalisasieTableAdapter.Fill(Me.LutzvilleDataSet.penalisasie)

Dim param1 As New ReportParameter("ReportParameterALIASNAAM", KiesVorm.CmbAliasnaam4.SelectedItem.ToString())

Dim param2 As New ReportParameter("ReportParameterPENALISASIE", KiesVorm.GepenaliseerComboBox.SelectedItem.ToString())

Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.SetParameters(New ReportParameter() {param1, param2})

Me.ReportViewer1.Show()
            Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()
    I get the following error : : 'Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportParameter[]' to type 'System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter]'.'

I have searched in vain to get a solution. Please can someone help me, before I go mad.

Regards

Addicted Member

Re: Cannot pass parameters to report

Does anyone know if it it possible to filter a report's dataset with SQL rather than using the parameters in the report?

I don't know about that, but I have spotted an issue in the error message that is easy to overlook:

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportParameter
    Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter

It seems that somehow different assumptions are being made about whether you want the WebForms or WinForms variant... so specifying should solve it, eg:
    Code:
            Dim param1 As New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter("ReportParameterALIASNAAM", KiesVorm.CmbAliasnaam4.SelectedItem.ToString())

Dim param2 As New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter("ReportParameterPENALISASIE", KiesVorm.GepenaliseerComboBox.SelectedItem.ToString())

Me.ReportViewer1.LocalReport.SetParameters(New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter() {param1, param2})
    (I've assumed WinForms, so change that to WebForms if apt)

Good catch there... I'd be more inclined to believe the wrong namespace was imported... changing that might also fix the problem.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Thank you for spotting that Si.
    It is as techgnome below suggested - I've imported the wrong namespace.

Regards

Addicted Member

Thank you techgnome

I have indeed imported the wrong namespace:

Code:
    ''Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms
    Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms
    Regards

Re: [RESOLVED] Cannot pass parameters to report

Hi,I am Nany Swip

I have faced problems many times before which are very difficult for you to solve now. I have tried many times in the past with some code but could not find the exact solution if you know please tell me.