Thread: Images being shrunk?

PowerPoster

Images being shrunk?

Every time I attach an image, VB forums resizes it down so much you can't even make stuff out. When did this start, and can you figure out a way to save bandwidth that doesn't render large images useless, especially if you can't/won't fix the bug that keeps trying to replace links to 3rd party sites with a locally stored copy and screwing up?

Seems contradictory. Bandwidth is so scarce images need to be limited to under 20kb, but 3rd party hosted images are unusable

Re: Images being shrunk?

There have been NO recent changes on this end.

HERE.... I've provided an example of one of your posts as an example of what you're probably talking about:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....00#post5560500

Multi Choice:
    1. Don't do that
    2. Make two images
    3. Or do like everyone else does and press CTRL + to change the browser image size

Once upon a time, we didn't make any sort of adjustments and images like the one in the link would mess-up the WHOLE THREAD.... You could read the image just fine but you had to scroll right and left to read Everything else.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

PowerPoster

Not what I was talking about at all.

If I selected a 200kb image it would literally shrink it down to a ~15kb thumbnail. The detail was lost. Say the image you linked to got resized to 30x10... what good would zooming do? The detail is lost; it would be noise.
    Last edited by fafalone; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:31 AM.

Since you said it happens to you every time-> Show us an example by posting a link Or recreate it right here in this thread.

I've looked at several of your pervious posts and the ones that have images look fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Every time I attach an image, VB forums resizes it down so much you can't even make stuff out. When did this start, and can you figure out a way to save bandwidth that doesn't render large images useless, especially if you can't/won't fix the bug that keeps trying to replace links to 3rd party sites with a locally stored copy and screwing up?

Seems contradictory. Bandwidth is so scarce images need to be limited to under 20kb, but 3rd party hosted images are unusable
    Hello !

Just put them on an external link? (actually my answer may seem stupid, but not only.) I think there are sites that host images.?

PowerPoster

I used to do that, but then there was a change where it randomly, at some point, attempts to download the image and host it on vbforums, automatically replacing your url, except 90% of the time the process goes wrong, and its apparently WONTFIX.

This doesn't happen right away. Sometimes it's hours. But once it does it, that URL is tagged, and immediately replaced again if you change it back. It goes through old threads from years ago, and every couple months, I find one of my old threads stripped of pictures. It's only in the first couple posts of a thread normally.

See this thread for details:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....-doesn-t-exist

Now there's yet another problem. I posted the image in another thread:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....7-Image-embeds

It doesn't work on mobile, even when requesting the desktop page.

The **exact same URL**, https://www.vbforums.com/attachment....hmentid=184509, works on desktop, but says "Invalid attachment specified" on mobile.
    Last edited by fafalone; Mar 31st, 2022 at 06:44 PM.

It's also ONLY you, as far as anybody has been able to determine. If anybody else has seen either of these issues, please speak up.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing