Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG what im making!!!!

OMG what im making!!!!

hi guys im making VB7 (fan made) in vb6

PowerPoster

Re: OMG what im making!!!!

Good luck.

This thread should be moved to Chit Chat.

5 years ago it would have been epic but I think this train has been worked to death and it probably won't run anymore
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by gaouser View Post
    Regardless of the final result, I applaud anyone with similar thoughts.

How long have you've been working on this, or did you just came up with the idea yesterday?

yes its new

PowerPoster

What does your release roadmap look like as far as feature implementation timeline, etc? How soon will there be a usable alpha/beta for people to test out? What projects (if any) of similar complexity have you built in the past?

How does it improve on TwinBasic or RadBasic, both of which are doing essentially the same thing and are reasonably far along?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

i cant share its not ready and i have question on editing vb6 resources,i know theming ide but i cant do that when we click make "project" menu i think i put this to external cmd batch

I can't wait to see the results.

RAD basic is more interested in money and seems to be a private project, twinbasic seems to be worn by more open people. Anyway, all this does not interest you. A VB7 project would be nice to do too, but admit you're too lazy for that.
    Last edited by apfelgluck; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 12:13 PM.

i cant share its not ready and i have question on editing vb6 resources,i know theming ide but i cant do that when we click make "project" menu i think i put this to external cmd batch
    Gaouser, what makes you believe you can do something like this? In your other posts you wanted everyone to do your work for you while you did nothing.

Are you a student?
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Mar 21st, 2022 at 11:50 AM.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apfelgluck View Post
    RAD basic is more interested in money and seems to be a private project
    No. You can't just casually dispense with a project like that. Carles has given up his job because he sees a viable solution for a VB6 replacement and in addition he thinks he can make it worth his while giving up his time to create it. Having to feed a family and produce a real working product tends to focus the mind towards reality.

A private project? Well, he needs to earn money from it so he has a model that makes part of his offering open source and another part a commercial upgrade. That way he sees that it can have a future beyond that offered by his hands alone. The commercial part allows him to make money to continue development.

We aren't communists here and the capitalist rules still apply. We sometimes have to pay for what we want. TwinBasic will have a commercial model too that allows them to make money.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Could you create a Windows replacement next? That should be easy in VB6.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

They need to have a commercial model. I have no faith that such a project will endure if there is no financial incentive. One or two might continue it out of the goodness of their hearts (assuming they have more than one), and an open source project might get a community behind it, but neither of those is particularly likely. The project will necessarily be a very large one, so one or two doing it for free won't last. Eventually, they'll have other interests...including decomposing, at some point. Open source projects of that size are not a panacea. If you look at something like OpenOffice, it has been going on in one form or another for a very long time. However, it notably forked when LibreOffice started. Something like that would be fatal to a programming language. Anybody who is using a language will really hate hearing, "oh, by the way, we're splitting things and now you have to decide which branch to follow."

There has to be a revenue model, because any language must have a reliable support strategy to be anything more than a gimmick.

PowerPoster

Seems pretty late in the day anyway.

Something wrapped around Python might make more sense. A solid, easy to use widget library and a code + GUI IDE could be popular.

Longer term though I expect the trends established by VB, Java, and .Net using p-code VMs are where the world is headed. Something like but beyond Node.JS/Deno/Electron to gain portability, not only among OSs but hardware architectures. Scalable from microcontrollers to massively parallel mainframe replacements.

I think that's what .Net Core was trying to be. It struggles because of the bias against Microsoft though. They will probably have to settle for something new, working behind the scenes with others all ranked behind some "more acceptable" frontman organization.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    ...We aren't communists here...
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Longer term though I expect the trends established by VB, Java, and .Net using p-code VMs are where the world is headed.
    In my opinion the world is headed towards a future where there is no distinction between a desktop application and a web application. WebAssembly has taken the first massive step towards that future. According to some sources, it can now perform at damn near native speeds!

Bookmark this post so you can say you heard it here first: I expect sometime within the next 20 years for it to become possible to write an application once and have it run literally anywhere you want and I'm talking about thick-client applications, not just a light HTML frontend with something like a PHP backend. I'm talking about full GUI applications that can run natively on your Windows desktop, in your browser, on your iPhone, on your MAC and your Android phone using the exact same code base. I expect it would be powered by some future version of WebAssembly or a more advanced descendent sitting behind an HTML or HTML-like GUI engine. It's already kind of possible today.

You heard it here first.

No. You can't just casually dispense with a project like that. Carles has given up his job because he sees a viable solution for a VB6 replacement and in addition he thinks he can make it worth his while giving up his time to create it. Having to feed a family and produce a real working product tends to focus the mind towards reality.

A private project? Well, he needs to earn money from it so he has a model that makes part of his offering open source and another part a commercial upgrade. That way he sees that it can have a future beyond that offered by his hands alone. The commercial part allows him to make money to continue development.

We aren't communists here and the capitalist rules still apply. We sometimes have to pay for what we want. TwinBasic will have a commercial model too that allows them to make money.
    Oula ! you misunderstood me... Embarking on a creative project requires enormous benevolence... no benevolence... no creation. I have nothing but kindness to send him and everyone wishes him the best. No one can pretend to decide what can or cannot be done by a creator, criticism is in the realm of the absurd. RADBasic, awesome.
    Last edited by apfelgluck; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 11:50 AM.

Has anyone ever even seen RadBasic? As far as I know, all proof it's existence lies in some YouTube video that many believe could possibly be a fake. The dude behind it certainly knows his stuff but I haven't heard anyone explicitly say that they've tried it.

Well, in that case I think you should all adopt the Steampunk Desktop that I create...

King of sapila

Comes with Putin's red button.Nice!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    In my opinion the world is headed towards a future where there is no distinction between a desktop application and a web application. WebAssembly has taken the first massive step towards that future. According to some sources, it can now perform at damn near native speeds!

Bookmark this post so you can say you heard it here first: I expect sometime within the next 20 years for it to become possible to write an application once and have it run literally anywhere you want and I'm talking about thick-client applications, not just a light HTML frontend with something like a PHP backend. I'm talking about full GUI applications that can run natively on your Windows desktop, in your browser, on your iPhone, on your MAC and your Android phone using the exact same code base. I expect it would be powered by some future version of WebAssembly or a more advanced descendent sitting behind an HTML or HTML-like GUI engine. It's already kind of possible today.

You heard it here first.
    I disagree. I feel that there is one insurmountable obstacle to that: The security model.

I am working on a modable program, where third parties can extend the functionality. I'm not sure that there is any way such a thing could work on the web, where content can come from multiple sites dynamically. Since the very earlies days of the web, even before viruses became a thing, it was recognized that you really didn't want a browser to be able to dynamically load content from a third source that then had the ability to reach into your computer and fiddle with things.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Longer term though I expect the trends established by VB, Java, and .Net using p-code VMs are where the world is headed. Something like but beyond Node.JS/Deno/Electron to gain portability, not only among OSs but hardware architectures. Scalable from microcontrollers to massively parallel mainframe replacements.

I think that's what .Net Core was trying to be. It struggles because of the bias against Microsoft though. They will probably have to settle for something new, working behind the scenes with others all ranked behind some "more acceptable" frontman organization.

Now it seems that VB6's "P-Code + Native-Code" is really ahead of its time (almost 30-40 years ahead).

Plus, there's VB6's "Edit and Continue" and "Code Intelligence (hint) and Just-in-Time Compilation" in the Code Window which is really unparalleled.

These three technologies are technologies that I have dreamed of acquiring.
    Last edited by SearchingDataOnly; Mar 21st, 2022 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I disagree. I feel that there is one insurmountable obstacle to that: The security model.

I am working on a modable program, where third parties can extend the functionality. I'm not sure that there is any way such a thing could work on the web, where content can come from multiple sites dynamically. Since the very earlies days of the web, even before viruses became a thing, it was recognized that you really didn't want a browser to be able to dynamically load content from a third source that then had the ability to reach into your computer and fiddle with things.
    This would apply if we're talking about a website/webapp running on the desktop but I'm actually talking about running traditional desktop and thick client applications on multiple platforms.

Lets use and example. Lets look at Office. If you're on Windows, you install Office, if you're on Linux, you would use something like LibreOffice and the web has it's own version. Those are different code bases. The world I'm talking about would have one Office application spawned from one code base and it would work on multiple if not all platforms and they would all look the same more or less.

I'm already seeing these signs of this future more and more. Nobody is writing applications for just Windows or just the MAC or just the web anymore. The most competitive applications have multiple versions that can run on as many platforms as possible. Quite a few of them have even homegrown development platforms meant to facilitate exactly this without the need to maintain separate code bases.. The client for the game League of Legends is one example of this. The ERP platform Odoo is another example.

In fact, we are trying very hard right now to transition away from dependence on our decades old VB6 application as the centerpiece of our business by moving to the Odoo platform. Odoo is a development platform written using a Python backend that powers an HTML/CSS/JavaScript frontend. It's made specifically to write LOB applications but it's powerful enough to write just about anything if you're determined enough. The reason we are forced into this transition is because it's damn near impossible to facilitate client needs in 2022 writing stuff in VB6 or even .Net's WinForms. Modern people are spoiled by the convenience of being able to run their favorite applications anywhere they want. Because of Odoo's design, it can naturally run anywhere without us needing to care about platform specifics. We can install the platform on a Linux or Windows backend and from there clients can use the software that runs on it anywhere they want as long as they have access to a web browser. Typically, Odoo applications are not web-facing as they are typically configured for an intranet but some applications built for the platform are designed to be run on the open internet. And all it takes to turn one of Odoo's intranet applications into an internet application is tinkering with few NGINX settings. This is the kind of flexibility the modern world demands.

So, to answer the author gaousser , you really have to understand the difference between ... a leisure and a professional approach. Innovation, projects ... Everyone does not care. There was a period when we were waiting for creation and innovation, this time is over. It is better to spend your time designing projects that are already accepted by the end user. this one is henceforth incapacitated of any effort. If no results in 12 months, for example, you need to move on. or make it a simple hobby, which is still great to do.
    Last edited by apfelgluck; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 11:56 AM.

Has anyone ever even seen RadBasic? As far as I know, all proof it's existence lies in some YouTube video that many believe could possibly be a fake. The dude behind it certainly knows his stuff but I haven't heard anyone explicitly say that they've tried it.
    I think he considers that only people who find an interest in what he does, can use his environment in exchange for a small contribution... all in all, nothing abnormal. It is enough for him to have a professional network, and it can work like that. This is not intended for all windows PCs but only for people who have specific needs, which ultimately limits the potential user.

Good choice.

I've been developing in web technologies for the desktop for almost two decades, that Steampunk desktop is all javascript, XML using two distinct engines with common code. Ran on Windows, Mac osX and a superset of Ubuntu. Truly multi-platform desktop web dev since 2005.

Fanatic Member

Could you create a Windows replacement next? That should be easy in VB6.
    I actually did this a while ago, and posted it here (under my old account)...it was more a barebones WIMP system designed around windows 3.11 where you could have custom windows on-screen and control them from within code...it wouldn't fully replace Windows (sadly) but it worked to some degree.

IIRC it wasn't a hugely difficult project to code...and I was a newbie to VB6 at that point so don't expect perfect optimisation and blisteringly fast graphics routines (hell, I wouldn't expect that from me NOW, though I probably would do things differently :-P )

Here it is at https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....w-off-my-prog-) :-P

It's not the full Windows 3.11 experience, but it was a start...the sort of code you could use on a POS system to hide the OS and force your own fake OS on the users if you didn't want them getting access to the entire system but still wanted them to have some control

There is a link to v0.4 beta in this thread.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I installed it, and I'm really... surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Is that link safe? I deleted all my Windows VMs recently to make some HDD space and haven't created another as of yet. I hesitate to run unknown EXEs on my primary working box.

Is that link safe? I deleted all my Windows VMs recently to make some HDD space and haven't created another as of yet. I hesitate to run unknown EXEs on my primary working box.
    It uninstalls just fine, the install looks clean. but ... surprising.

Is that link safe?
    It's the original link to radbasic.dev site (1st party) they posted on patreon if this matters.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Comes with Putin's red button.Nice!
    The Red button kills any process you choose to insert into the prefs. I have a rogue program that likes to do its thing every now and then. A double-click on the button nukes it like Putin.

Quote Originally Posted by SmUX2k View Post
    I actually did this a while ago, and posted it here (under my old account)...i
    Yes, as you said more a windowing system rather than a replacement for Windows. To do it properly, you'd need a bootloader to load the vb6 runtime and then load the required APIs ( a simple re-write of all Windows APIs ) and then your windowing sub system and then the rest of the o/s. You could just shoehorn ReactOS en masse I suppose...

See you in about 20 years.

i have an os (explorer.exe) if it finish i share

i have an os (explorer.exe) if it finish i share
    I look forward to seeing that, there is a commercial VB6 explorer, XYplorer and I would be running it now if it weren't quite so expensive. I think I'd pay 10-20 for it but 39.95 is just too much for me and once again, shelling out hard cash for a program that might not work in Microsoft's big 64bit future puts me in the same camp as all the other doomsayers.

I use Q-Dir very occasionally and XNView more often but still not daily. A usable VB6 explorer that both looked and acted like that in Win 7 or XP and I would be a definite, positive user.

This would apply if we're talking about a website/webapp running on the desktop but I'm actually talking about running traditional desktop and thick client applications on multiple platforms.

Lets use and example. Lets look at Office. If you're on Windows, you install Office, if you're on Linux, you would use something like LibreOffice and the web has it's own version. Those are different code bases. The world I'm talking about would have one Office application spawned from one code base and it would work on multiple if not all platforms and they would all look the same more or less.
    You could have made this case a bit better had you compared desktop Office and web Office, which does make your case pretty well. I use LibreOffice (on Windows, so I don't know why you talked about Linux) and don't have MS Office on my desktop, but why bother when Web Office does whatever I need it to do? So, I agree with you on that one.
    I'm already seeing these signs of this future more and more. Nobody is writing applications for just Windows or just the MAC or just the web anymore. The most competitive applications have multiple versions that can run on as many platforms as possible. Quite a few of them have even homegrown development platforms meant to facilitate exactly this without the need to maintain separate code bases.. The client for the game League of Legends is one example of this. The ERP platform Odoo is another example.
    But I don't agree with you on this point. That's pretty hyperbolic. There is a very large segment of programs that is JUST writing for Windows. There is also a segment writing for just Apple, but forget them. Apple has always encouraged a closed garden approach and that isn't changing. When it comes to Windows, there are people writing mixed strategies if it makes sense, but it's not true that it makes sense for everything. Games are almost never written for multiple ecosystems. They are written for desktop or they are written for mobile, but not both. Could this change? Not for quite a long time. I wouldn't say that it will never change, because technology tends to make you look like a fool if you say that, but it's a long ways off. There are games that have a desktop only plus online presence, but those are still really just desktop applications. You have to install a very fat chunk onto your system. At that point, you could do some minimal internet interactions (the network impact of those games is pretty small, really), but that big chunk has to be there first.

Games have been pushing the bounds of technological capability for as long as there have been computers. That hasn't slowed down.

But I don't agree with you on this point. That's pretty hyperbolic. There is a very large segment of programs that is JUST writing for Windows.
    To clarify, I was only thinking of those applications that are actually competitive. This excludes in-house applications and hobbyist open-source projects. Tanner Helland's PhotoDemon is a good example of the latter. The programs I'm talking about are usually very dominant in the market(or at the very least is extremely well known) and has a primary goal of generating income, either through direct sales, microtransactions or advertising. These applications are almost never Windows only or Mobile only. You cannot compete in the commercial space by targeting a single platform in 2022. WhatsApp is a good example of such an application. WhatsApp can run anywhere you can imagine. Web browsers themselves are examples of competitive applications that are multi-platform programs.

Games are almost never written for multiple ecosystems.
    Hearthstone can run on iOS, OS X/macOS, Android and Windows.

League of Legends can run on Windows and macOS.

Starcraft 2 can run on Windows, OS X/macOS.

Fortnite can run on both Windows and macOS/OS X.

This is only a very small list of some of the biggest gaming titles in the world. And given the competitive nature of these games, it is not a matter of these games just having different versions. They all use the same codebase. Having competitive games vary from platform to platform would severely compromise the competitive integrity of the game which is a massive deal to gamers. They have to be identical on all platforms they run on so they were built with this in mind.

If your intent is to make the "big bucks" in 2022, you'd be trolling if your application could only run on a single platform. As I've said in my previous post, even our little shop is paying a severe price for being Windows-only for too long. Now we are struggling to play catch-up and it's costing us big.
    Last edited by Niya; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast