Thread: MS Office Click-to-Run Service

Frenzied Member

MS Office Click-to-Run Service

Windows 11 is a real pain in the butt. It is taking forever to get rid of all the background and scheduled tasks that are not necessary. This particular service would start up in the background at the most inopportune times and consume 100% of the disk. So I disabled the service, but a few days later I would find it running again.

How do I disable it permanently?

J.A. Coutts

Frenzied Member

Re: MS Office Click-to-Run Service

All these sites offer advice on how to disable the service, but none of them offer any advice on how to keep it disabled.

J.A. Coutts

Microsoft does not want you to keep it disabled. To do that, you might have to write a monitoring program that looks for it and checks its status, then sets it back to disabled periodically. The other option would be to either delete the files that it needs to run, or replace them with a do-nothing service that you created.

One final option is to not use Office 365. Instead, use Office 2019 or Office 2021 or other non-subscription version of Office. That is what I do, in order to avoid issues like this one.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Microsoft does not want you to keep it disabled. To do that, you might have to write a monitoring program that looks for it and checks its status, then sets it back to disabled periodically. The other option would be to either delete the files that it needs to run, or replace them with a do-nothing service that you created.

One final option is to not use Office 365. Instead, use Office 2019 or Office 2021 or other non-subscription version of Office. That is what I do, in order to avoid issues like this one.
    You just confirmed what I thought; delete the current version and implement a prior one.
    Many thanks.
    J.A. Coutts

Frenzied Member

Finally found the source of the problem. It is caused by a scheduled task called "Office ClickToRun Service Monitor". To disable this task, search for the Task Scheduler and expand the library. Expand the Microsoft item and click on Office. Then right button click on "Office ClickToRun Service Monitor" and click on "Disable".

These files can be found in:
    \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\
    The service file is "OfficeClickToRun.exe", and the monitor file is "OfficeC2RClient.exe".

J.A. Coutts

Thanks for the update.

More info on the "Service". It doesn't look like it is anything anyone would actually need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...ick-to-run-faq