Thread: Original VB6 install CD?

Original VB6 install CD?

I have the original VB6 install CD, with the product key. I purchased this in 1999. My question is. Can I simply make a copy of the CD to a hard drive (in an effort to have the equivalent of a backup of it) and install VB6 from the copy?

Re: Original VB6 install CD?

yes you can
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

This is good to know thank you. When I make a copy of my CD, will it work correctly if I use Windows File Explorer, select all the files from CD and copy them or do I need to use a fancy dos command or something?

It's been awhile, but that's the way I did it. And, as I upgrade my computers through the years, I just always use that disk copy of the original CDs. I've copied the VB6 MSDN CDs as well.

I'd be a bit shocked if anyone actually still uses their original VB6 CDs.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Yeah I made an ISO image of the original disks and mount that when I want to install but have also did it with just a copy of the files as well. Easier to manage as a single ISO file.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    It's been awhile, but that's the way I did it. And, as I upgrade my computers through the years, I just always use that disk copy of the original CDs. I've copied the VB6 MSDN CDs as well.

I did a couple months ago when I was building a "legacy OS" VM for older software inside of my new Windows 10 box. I know VB6 "works" in Windows 10, but there seem to be a bunch of threads about various nuances, annoyances, etc. with VB6+W10, so I wasn't even going to go down the road of loading it directly on Windows 10. For the record, I also had to access some 3.5" floppy disks a while back that I hadn't accessed in over 15 years, and they all worked just fine still.

That being said, I also have backup copies of VS6 + MSDN just in case. But for installation I still use the original CD's.

Hi Friends,

since the last 10 years i have not worked with VB6. Now a friend asked me to rebuild a small program i've developed for him a long time ago. Unfortunatly my VB6 CD is damaged. I tried to port it to .NET. But it doesn't work. Now i search for the VB6 SETUP. I already have the key. I only need the setup CD. Now i found this thread, and want to ask you if its possible to send me a copy of the setup CD.

Thanks for your help

Elmar

i forgot ... i search the professional edition

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by grosser13 View Post
    Hi Friends,

since the last 10 years i have not worked with VB6. Now a friend asked me to rebuild a small program i've developed for him a long time ago. Unfortunatly my VB6 CD is damaged. I tried to port it to .NET. But it doesn't work. Now i search for the VB6 SETUP. I already have the key. I only need the setup CD. Now i found this thread, and want to ask you if its possible to send me a copy of the setup CD.

Thanks for your help

Elmar
    If it is legal, I am happy to get a copy to you. It will be an ISO file, which can be burned back to a physical CD if you wish.
    I am 80 so memory does not work, and my two old fridges keep destroying my PCs, BUT I have backups somewhere.
    During the time it takes me to locate them, that will give members time to post, if I am breaking any law ?

As you have the key, why not just download VB6?
    https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-visual-bas/60
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Until a few months ago I used ..... but then I created an ISO to make it easier ....