Thread: Site rejecting some URL's

PowerPoster

Site rejecting some URL's

In response to a question, I attempted to post a link to the following URL:

Code:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.visualbasic.strings.mid?view=net-6.0#microsoft-visualbasic-strings-mid(system-string-system-int32-system-int32)
    I will attempt to post that same link below this sentence:

After submitting the post, there was no link in my reply, and when editing my post, there was no indication that I had added the link to my post.

I was able to post just the main URL for that page that doesn't jump to the relevant section I was trying to link directly to.

I'm guessing it is the # sign in the link that is causing it to be removed by the forum software? Not sure. In any event, I wanted to point it out.

Re: Site rejecting some URL's

Try using an URL Shortener - unless you need the full URL.

http://shorturl.at/egAD1

Granted you might want to also include a note saying something like "This goes to microsoft.com, but due to a URL error I used a shortner...."

Original URL:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...-system-int32)
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Original URL and shortened one both worked. I did, however, use the URL Icon/button to get the popup that I filled with the URLs.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PowerPoster

Attempting to post the URL in question enclosed in URL tags:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...-system-int32)

PowerPoster

Ok, that worked. So what was blocking it when I tried to post the URL without enclosing it in tags? Is there some limit to how long a "word" (continuous series of characters with no whitespace) can be?

Edit: Answering my own question, no, that's not what the problem seems to be.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Feb 28th, 2022 at 09:41 PM.

PowerPoster

Ignore...testing.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Feb 28th, 2022 at 09:35 PM.

PowerPoster

Ok, from my quasi-thorough testing, here's what I found:

Enclosing the link in URL tags before submitting the post allowed the URL to be displayed just fine.

Not enclosing the URL in URL tags before submitting the post caused the link to disappear from the post.

The problem appears to be related to the open-close parenthesis pair at the end of the URL.

If I remove the closing parenthesis and leave the opening parenthesis in the middle of the URL and don't use tags, the "new" URL is allowed to be posted.

If I remove the opening parenthesis and leave the closing parenthesis at the end of the URL and don't use tags, the "new" URL is allowed to be posted, but the site puts the closing parenthesis as plain text "outside" of the link.

If I add a character after the closing parenthesis and don't use tags, the "new" URL is allowed to be posted.

So, the issue seems to be that the site is rejecting a URL when:

-The URL is not enclosed in URL tags by the poster
    -The URL contains open and closed parenthesis (I didn't test what happens when there are multiple open and closed parenthesis)
    -The final character in the URL is a closed parenthesis (Again, I didn't test if there are multiple open and closed parenthesis)

testttt