Thread: Want to go to Ralswiek Germany

Driving a new Maserati down a dead end street

Want to go to Ralswiek Germany

Hi. You guys are the only international forum I belong to.
    I live in the US. I am going to Germany and staying in Berlin. I want to take a side trip to Störtebeker Festspiele. It's 3 hours away, kind of on an island in the Baltic Sea.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can plan this? What resources are there, besides the travel agent who helped with the flight to Berlin and lodging but who gave up on the side trip saying she wasn't comfortable planning it?
    Danke.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Want to go to Ralswiek Germany

There should be plenty of online resources, e.g. like TripAdvisor, etc.

If it were me, I would take the train. About 3.5 hours from Berlin to Ralswiek. I believe there are probably five trains a day between the two. Bus would be cheaper, but would take closer to five hours. If you rented a car it would be faster than a train, usually, but I don't know how comfortable you would be renting and driving l car.

I flew into Frankfort back in early August of 1984. Witness a murder in the plaza next to the hotel the first evening we were there. A bit memorable...
    Lost my passport in Munich that trip, so had to stay behind to get a replacement from the American Consulate while the tour bus continued on to Austria that morning. After getting the replacement, had to then find my own way to Vienna by train to catch up to the tour that evening at the next hotel.

I guess that was my fifth and last trip to Europe, so it has been a while.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

I'd go by rail. They're generally highly reliable and cover just about everywhere you want to go in Europe. If it's an island, you'll want to also look at ferries times and see if you can time it so that you get to the ferry shortly before departure - enough time to get on board and find a seat and what not, but not too early that you're waiting for hours.
    Berlin? I'm jealous. I went there as a kid back in ... '79 I think it was... quite some time ago. The Iron Curtain was a thing and I got to see (and touch) the Berlin Wall. Back then things were such that I couldn't conceive the idea that it might actually come down. I remember looking at it thinking that I'd never see it come down, oh my kids might, or their kids might, but I wouldn't ...... and then ... it happened ...ten years later... talk about a surreal moment.
    Anyways.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

contact ChrisE by PM, he is from Germany. But I think the best is to rent a car with a GPS and drive else have a look here : https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Berlin/St...beker-Festival
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

@Delaney - thank you for the info! Renting a car looks like the best idea as there will be 3 of us and r/t train fare for 3 can be costly. And thanks for the tip on the navigation system inside the car, that will help a lot. Any chance the system will be able to translate into English?

Here's the background - I've been promising my daughters a trip to Germany and one of my daughter's favorite bands is playing in Berlin so that's why we're going there. She purchased a meet and greet with that band. Then she found out another band she loves is going to be on this island also while we're in Germany, and really how can you not go when you're only 3 hours away? So we are trying to make it happen. Thank you and to the others for their memories/suggestions. I'm open to anything you recommend, though most of the time we will want stay near Berlin (monetary reasons).

Speaking of money - what is the best way to pay for things? Pre-paid cards? My regular credit card? Are Travelers checks still a thing? (I haven't been to Europe since 1998!)
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

yes, you can ask when you rent the car they set up the navigation system in english. Credit card is the best. I know in Germany they use a lot of cash when in France we prefer cards. When you arrive go to the first atm machine and get some cash . the rate will be the one of your bank, not the one of the change office (so it's better)
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I had a quick check for you and yes it looks cheaper to hire a car (and less complicated as you would likely have to change trains).

There is cheaper car hire starting at around $20 a day, but it most probably will cost around $40-$80 a day to hire a car depending on the size car you go for

In case you dont know they drive on the Right hand side of the road in Germany and the steering wheel is on the Left.

This site may be useful

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Berlin/Ralswiek

it says this - (about which is best between Bus and Train)

The best way to get from Berlin to Ralswiek is to train which takes 3h 32m and costs £55 - £80. Alternatively, you can bus, which costs £30 - £40 and takes 4h 58m.
    and this on the car journey

The driving distance between Berlin to Ralswiek is 185 miles. It takes approximately 2h 45m to drive from Berlin to Ralswiek.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Hallo! We are back from Germany !

The trip to Ralswiek went fine. My daughter has a friend (Basti) in Germany; they had plans to go to the Mono Inc concert together in Berlin and Kristina also wanted to see Santiano in Ralswiek. Long story short - before we left the US we reserved a rental car with Sixt because they offered unlimited miles. Basti was with us every day of our vacation and even though Kristina was seeing Santiano alone Basti still came with us for the overnight stay in Ralswiek (actually an Airbnb in Sehlen). It was so much easier getting around with someone who speaks the language and knows the area! Sixt ended up upgrading us because the Huyandai they first put us in had no navigation system. I drove this beautiful BMW SUV on the Autobahn! That was so much fun for me who lives in CT with speed limits of 65 mph! And the Hummer H3 I drive can't go much more than 80 anyway. It was cool to have the speed limit symbol just disappear on the BMW's navigation screen! After dropping Kristina off at the concert my other daughter, Basti and I went to the Baltic Sea where Kim took a quick polar plunge (Basti and I stood on shore with our warm coats!). Anyway, I could go on and on about this trip but I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and it just happened to work out perfectly driving there ourselves, even if it was more expensive than the train (not 100% sure about that or if it was, how much more, but gas cost a lot, but there were four of us so perhaps better to be in a car together).

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I drove this beautiful BMW SUV on the Autobahn!
    I'm planning on doing this sometime soon (although in my own car, not a beemer). I want to head down the Rhine to Bavaria where all the fairy tale castles are.

but gas cost a lot
    Yeah, welcome to Europe. Our gas prices are WAY higher over here.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd