Thread: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

King of sapila

Re: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

I try.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

To be fair, your English is better than my Greek. But, yeah, house lawns are going to be a nightmare when we can't afford the fuel to mow them
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

If you want to see language mass murder try watching three thousand years of longing movie. They try to speak ancient Greek. At first I thought that my ears where bleeding!
    To be fair I usually sprout some sap charm when writing but what has been working for 16 years to the entertainment sector..If it's broken...Don't fix it!

PowerPoster

To be fair, your English is better than my Greek
    Absolutely, my knowledge is zero.

Maybe this has a meaning in Greek.

Sorry got sidewalk on that.

King of sapila

It does. When you are on the edge of a curve but to be fair I wanted to write sidetrack. I usually don't go back for checks.

Greek language is a hell pit. English have 'i' but in Greek i or ι equals η , =υ, =οι, =ει . E equals ΑΙ , Ο equals omega Ω .... And non of them are equal. You have to find the specific one to use in a word. We got doubles LL, SS, ΤΤ etc but we dig back to ancient Greek to see why we are using the doubles. In English, do you know why for example you got 2 l's on hello? ...Anyhow, compared to Chinese that got symbols, I guess they could probably be more easy to learn.

I think someone has been hitting the ouzo a bit tonight... tbf with all this talk, I wouldn't blame him.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I think someone has been hitting the ouzo a bit tonight... tbf with all this talk, I wouldn't blame him.

-tg
    Someone, not me, I dislike ouzo. I personally hit the pomegranate juice tonight.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Absolutely, my knowledge is zero.
    Wrong Sir!
    Absolutely, from Greek Απόλυτο apolyto meaning , absolute
    Knowledge from Greek Γνώση Knowsis meaning, knowledge
    Zero from Greek σειρός Seiros meaning, hot

Thank you for speaking my language.

Fanatic Member

Hey guys... back on topic. Is Putin going to really use Nukes? And what would the west do in response? Do we let Putin drop the nukes and take what's left? Or do we reply with nukes? Are we really prepared to end the world over the Ukraine? Or... what do you think will happen?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbob View Post
    Hey guys... back on topic. Is Putin going to really use Nukes? And what would the west do in response? Do we let Putin drop the nukes and take what's left? Or do we reply with nukes? Are we really prepared to end the world over the Ukraine? Or... what do you think will happen?
    Seems more likely today than last week.
    Strongly denounce his actions.
    Not sure what "take what's left" means, but to answer the first part, "yes and no".
    No.
    No.
    A very non-nuclear, very targeted response, most likely.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Wrong Sir!
    Absolutely, from Greek Απόλυτο apolyto meaning , absolute
    Knowledge from Greek Γνώση Knowsis meaning, knowledge
    Zero from Greek σειρός Seiros meaning, hot

Thank you for speaking my language.
    lol

But none of my words were spelled in Greek or pronounced the same, were they?

Plus, I had zero knowledge of any of that. So, I have zero knowledge of speaking Greek. I stand by my statement.

I do like that Zero in Greek means hot. Because a temperature of Zero in English is the opposite of hot. lol
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 08:13 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbob View Post
    I don't think anyone knows. The response would probably depend on the amount/size of nukes used and where they were targeted.

I don't think threats of using nukes will stop the support for Ukraine.

PowerPoster

I think things could change a lot as Europe enters the cool and dark season and Russia turns off the energy taps.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think things could change a lot as Europe enters the cool and dark season and Russia turns off the energy taps.
    That will be interesting to see. I'm betting people rally to the problem. Find a workable solution. There will be some complaints but not enough to stop the support for Ukraine.

There's always a problem with leverage like blackmail: Everybody hates it. They might cave in to it, but everybody hates it. The result is that people will stiffen up against it to a degree they wouldn't do otherwise. Therefore, the actual result is hard to guess at, since people will change their behavior out of normal patterns as a result.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

As mentioned Putin's next steps are plain...the currently annexed parts of Ukraine will "vote" to join Russia giving him the stance Russian territory is being attacked. Legitimizing escalating the violence. Pretty clever and let's see how it pans out.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    As mentioned Putin's next steps are plain...the currently annexed parts of Ukraine will "vote" to join Russia giving him the stance Russian territory is being attacked. Legitimizing escalating the violence. Pretty clever and let's see how it pans out.
    I don't think anyone will recognize it as legitimate, except some Russians.

I thought it was sort of amusing that the Russian's are collecting the votes by going door to door. Knock, knock, we're here for you to vote for being annexed. lol

If you want to see language mass murder try watching three thousand years of longing movie
    Have you ever watched Alexander? It's actually a pretty good film but Colin Farrel plays Alexander with a thick Irish accent. Some of the American actors do Irish accents too. It's like the director thought "we don't really know what the ancient Greeks sounded like, maybe they all came from Kilkenny."

...Pretty clever...
    Shades of Trump .

Yeah, the West is not the target audience for the referenda. They're aimed at the domestic Russian audience.

Is Putin going to really use Nukes? And what would the west do in response?
    I still think it's highly unlikely but it's definitely greater than zero. As for the response, God knows. If he used tactical weapons I suspect we would escalate our military aid to Ukraine to include more air defence as well as aggressive weaponry (e.g. tanks). You might finally see a NATO no fly zone and maybe you'd see Nato troops on the ground but I doubt it. If he used strategic weapons I think you might well be looking at a full blown nuclear response - that's kinda what a M.A.D. defence dictates.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post

I thought it was sort of amusing that the Russian's are collecting the votes by going door to door. Knock, knock, we're here for you to vote for being annexed. lol
    When it comes down to it only one person needs to call it "legitimate"...Putin. At least as an excuse, flimsy as it may be to the rest of the world.

"I thought it was sort of amusing that the Russian's are collecting the votes by going door to door. Knock, knock, we're here for you to vote for being annexed. lol"

What's that line? "you had to be there" to get a joke...oops that doesn't work in this case. I do see your point/humorous side .
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Sep 25th, 2022 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Have you ever watched Alexander? It's actually a pretty good film but Colin Farrel plays Alexander with a thick Irish accent. Some of the American actors do Irish accents too. It's like the director thought "we don't really know what the ancient Greeks sounded like, maybe they all came from Kilkenny."

Shades of Trump .

Yeah, the West is not the target audience for the referenda. They're aimed at the domestic Russian audience.

I still think it's highly unlikely but it's definitely greater than zero. As for the response, God knows. If he used tactical weapons I suspect we would escalate our military aid to Ukraine to include more air defence as well as aggressive weaponry (e.g. tanks). You might finally see a NATO no fly zone and maybe you'd see Nato troops on the ground but I doubt it. If he used strategic weapons I think you might well be looking at a full blown nuclear response - that's kinda what a M.A.D. defence dictates.
    I wonder if not retaliating might be the way to go...instead use world wide condemnation beyond what has ever been done before. Including countries standing on the sidelines like China and India. Versus a tit for tat expansion.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Sep 25th, 2022 at 12:36 PM.

PowerPoster

Actually nearly all of South America and Africa "stands on the sidelines" along with an awful lot of Asia. A good half of the US doesn't favor doing Europe's dirty work either.

The you have all of those protests against exporting LNG to the UK and rest of Europe in both Canada and the US. Some are against the domestic supply drain and resulting price increases on top of inflation, while others oppose the new export terminals under fast-tracked construction due to environmental and worker safety concerns.

Many in Germany oppose the LNG as well, preferring to trust in unicorns and moonbeams.

Media suppression of reality probably won't prevent some pretty punishing midterm election results.

King of sapila

Why should they vouch for NATO and Euro idiots? Committing energy suicide to support US? I think not.
    Especially now with what has happened in Italy...Oh, you haven't heard?You will. Bye bye Euro puppets!
    Where is Niya? It's celebration time!
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 25th, 2022 at 05:38 PM.

Yeah, I don't see things working out the way you want them to. The results in Italy are not going to make you all that happy once they play out, and pretty much everybody knows that giving in to extortion just means you get extorted more.

King of sapila

Always positive.

This is the end
    Beautiful friend
    This is the end
    My only friend, the end

I suppose you mean Ursula von der Leyen extortion to Italian people. Ye, didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, I don't see things working out the way you want them to. The results in Italy are not going to make you all that happy once they play out, and pretty much everybody knows that giving in to extortion just means you get extorted more.
    There was extremally low voter turnout also...

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/09...drop-from-2018

King of sapila

Yeah 64 vs 74 % but not extremely low.That would be below 50%. In Greece we had 50% so that was extremely low.
    It's always good for more people to vote, if they do good and deliver da bomb to EU the percentage will rise next time.
    I don't get anyone going pessimist tho, this is very good for Europe. Swede,Poland,Hungary and Italy show the way, if Greece can do so on the elections, that will then use 1 trillion$ of fuel and gas resource for the benefit of Europe (after Euro idiots go away) that would be good for Europe.

Edit, just watching the media. All media dogs are crying right now. That is a good thing, shows that it was the right way to go.
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 26th, 2022 at 04:26 AM.

preferring to trust in unicorns and moonbeams
    To be fair, unicorns have an extremely high calorific content. It could be a viable way to go

There was extremally low voter turnout also.
    One of the guys I work with is Italian. His take is that Italy isn't actually shifting right at all. Rather it was a case of no other party, either Left or Right, getting its act together and effectively campaigning. They were all too busy infighting. So some strongly social conservative policies are likely to be enacted (some likely distasteful to a lot of people) but it doesn't mean public opinion has radically shifted in that direction. If anything it might galvanise Italy's notoriously fragmented Left.

Of course, that's just one man's friend of a friend talking so take it with a pinch of salt

King of sapila

Will have to see.
    I think it takes 4 week for a fully functional government.
    Also I don't get why people imply that right is "bad". They are supposed to be patriots against NWO, Schwab and Soros, so why is that bad?
    Probably have another view or what left and right is. I can't really believe that by saying left is good, we also take the immigration, grasshopper eating and GLBT as a good "left" thing....Oh, oh, I got the Niya's
    Btw I hope he wasn't pushed aside due to the ban, he has a LOT of knowledge on programming that is the core of the forum, non?

Also I don't get why people imply that right is "bad"
    The point is that she's far right.

Schwab
    That probably means something different to you than it does to me, so I'll (almost) pass on the tired old joke about that name...and might just leave that up in case anybody gets it, though I believe it is a VERY regional pun that might only make sense in the Pacific Northwest of the US.

The thing I see with Italy is that they try everything, and fail at everything. They have a more thoroughly entrenched habit of floundering than any country in the EU that I can think of. Now they're trying the far right....well, why not? Once you've tried everything else...what else CAN you try? The Northern League shot themselves in the foot, the Brothers might as well. It doesn't sound like a Eurosceptic party, though, and I thought Meloni also supported the Russian embargo (though Italy seems relatively sheltered from that, so it might be a low bar).

I don't see anything changing in any significant way. Italy has some serious economic problems, and Meloni is the same as the other potential leaders of that country in the fact that she has no answers to those problems. It seems like she primarily ran on xenophobia, and that isn't the root of Italy's problems.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    The point is that she's far right.
    What does that mean? Care to explain?

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That probably means something different to you than it does to me,
    Oopps you are in the dark. Stay there, it's cozy. No disrespect but didn't see that coming from you.

PowerPoster

I don't see anything changing in any significant way. Italy has some serious economic problems, and Meloni is the same as the other potential leaders of that country in the fact that she has no answers to those problems. It seems like she primarily ran on xenophobia, and that isn't the root of Italy's problems.
    People seem to find it very easy to blame immigrants for their perceived problems.

I've become more indifferent to politics. The main difference I see when leadership changes from right/left or left/right is their is a different group of people complaining. lol

Sure there are policy changes but my daily life never really changes. Plus all you got to do is wait and it will shift back in the other direction.

PowerPoster

Oopps you are in the dark. Stay there, it's cozy. No disrespect but didn't see that coming from you.
    Of course it was disrespectful, you said he was uninformed and chose to be that way. Plus you didn't provide any explanation.

When I hear Schwab I think of the investment firm. And that means nothing to me in terms of Italy.

Of course there is also Les Schwab tires. lol

King of sapila

I like to hear that from Shaggy, that I insulted him, not you.
    And then if no one understands I will explain the obvious, bound to what we are talking about for 24 pages.

PowerPoster

And then if no one understands I will explain the obvious, bound to what we are talking about for 24 pages.
    My guess is SH wont care much about what you said.

It isn't important to me if you explain how Schwab fits into the conversation or not.

King of sapila

OK, so why quote me and "defending" Shaggy"?
    Anyhow it also is not important to me to explain it to you as I know your stubbornness from previous threads.I mean on some day to day topics it's nice to converse but on some others no so much.And this is one of those topics.

Heck, if you insulted me, I didn't even understand it.

I was making a pun about Les Schwab tires. I wasn't sure how widespread that chain is, but it certainly isn't in Greece, so I didn't expect you to know about it.

PowerPoster

I'm pretty sure we all know he meant "You will own nothing, shut up, serve me, and be happy" Klaus Schwab the global feudalism champion and self-styled Übermensch.

King of sapila

Dil for the win!
    You first have to understand the game before you play it and not knowing "santa Klaus" was peculiar.

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627 ... LastLast