Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 1252

Thread: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

PowerPoster

Re: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    But it's hard to say because there is no pro Russia media in the US. At least none that I see.
    Sputnik Radio is still active. But they've been muffled by the wing nuts in control of censorship. Today you'd probably have to either live in their two local US radio markets or else catch them on their web site or on Rumble or TuneIn.

I don't defend them, they often push stories as nutty as our own centrally controlled corporate media does.

PowerPoster

I'm no fan of power from nuclear fission, but wow is there ever a lot of push that way now that "greenyism" has fallen flat.

I don't think that's the way forward for the next few decades but we're running out of options.

But oops!

King of sapila

I wanted to post something about North Stream last week but got occupied and forgot.
    So (and I'm amazed no one brought it up) these are press conference from Nulan and Biden talking about the pipe not move forward and will bring an end to it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS4O8rGRLf8
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/RLeAgMF0Q6Y
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Sputnik Radio is still active. But they've been muffled by the wing nuts in control of censorship. Today you'd probably have to either live in their two local US radio markets or else catch them on their web site or on Rumble or TuneIn.

I don't defend them, they often push stories as nutty as our own centrally controlled corporate media does.
    Yeah, that's the problem with those small ideology agenda driven outlets. They're so small that no one even bothers to call them out on their lies. So I would have no confidence in what they say.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Germany has some real energy issues to deal with. It is hard to get a true picture at a glance though. They often fail to note how much of the "nuclear" is power imported from France. The figures you get on wind and solar are the theoretical maximum capacity of the built out collectors even though they have never even come anywhere near that in practice due to climate reality while hefty transmission losses are never mentioned. Dirty brown coal and imported fossil fuels are still the backbone of the grid while "biomass" (waste wood, trash, grain crop burning) appears to be next.
    Germany has basically the same energy issues as most of the rest of the so called Western developed countries has, apart from the added fact that it was the biggest importer of Russian Gas in Europe. Germany also has one of the largest gas storage facilities and has been stockpiling Gas which should see them fine through this Winter.

So while you are not wrong that Germany has an energy problem, it is a wealthy country and it has both the money and expertise to transition to other sources and replace Russian Gas in the medium term. Yes Germany will feel a bit of financial pain as a country as it does this but it will be able to manage.

Countries such as Italy & Spain have a bigger problem as they have much the same issues but are heavily indebted.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I'm no fan of power from nuclear fission, but wow is there ever a lot of push that way now that "greenyism" has fallen flat.
    I assume by "greenyism" you mean renewable energy?

Wind power in the UK is the cheapest form of energy in terms of both adding to the Grid, and cost to the consumer. How has that fallen flat?

The push to add Wind power capacity is happening in virtually all European countries, because its both cheap and secure as you are not relying on imported energy. Many countries are adding Wind capacity to there Energy mix for just cost and security reasons now and it looks like it will increasing be a part of their overall energy mix.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I don't understand why wind power hasn't had more uptake in the US. I'd have thought your topography was perfect for it.

I drove down through Northern Spain a few weeks back and they've got huge wind farms.

Green energy really hasn't "fallen flat"
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I assume by "greenyism" you mean renewable energy?

Wind power in the UK is the cheapest form of energy in terms of both adding to the Grid, and cost to the consumer. How has that fallen flat?

The push to add Wind power capacity is happening in virtually all European countries, because its both cheap and secure as you are not relying on imported energy. Many countries are adding Wind capacity to there Energy mix for just cost and security reasons now and it looks like it will increasing be a part of their overall energy mix.
    What do y'all do with your old wind turbine blades? That's something that's a problem now on this side, as many of the turbines that were put up 20+ years ago in the late 90's and early 2000's reach the end of their life. The engines themselves don't pose an issue, but the blades themselves are. They're made of materials that can't be recycled, and take up. alot. of. space. I think there was an attempt to see how well they could be crushed and shredded... haven't heard how that went. Maybe someone can buy them and turn them into a tourist trap like Windhenge.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

I'm 100% with tech on this.
    We have this issue in Greece as our sold out soldiers of garbage politicians have installed those damn things EVERYWHERE. In my country house in Halkida (aka Evia county) they burned the mountains last year (remember the huge fires we had?) to install more winds. Those are made in Germany and non recyclable. It's the worst form of "clean" energy as we have sun almost 9 months per year and a lot of rivers to build water dams and let's not forger 1trillion US$ in oil and natural gas. But the pocketeers choose to get a bribe from Germany for wind generators, mess the whole ecosystem and after 20 years have non recyclable "old monsters". The result, we are getting ready for power failures that the government calls "system checks". Treacherous brasrads.

They can be recycled but just burying them is currently more cost effective so it's really a matter of political will rather than technology. Also, the more modern blades are more easily recyclable so we're talking about the fallout of a historical decision rather than an ongoing issue. So it's not really a good argument for not building more wind farms now, more of an argument that we should have built them differently then.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

It's also an argument that we did not have any wind in August, so no power whatsoever and I think but not 100% sure, that those things consume power if they are still, so they "ate" our power supply in August.

There are certainly a whole lot of wind farms out here. We're gaining a fair amount of solar, too. Kind of understandable, considering that it's a desert. We have lots of dams, too. Second cheapest electricity in the country. And I have an all electric house.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    And I have an all electric house.
    So you touch it and get zapped?

King of sapila

Also do remember to ban mmarkgilbert , it is boting it's way through the forums slowly like but steady.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I don't understand why wind power hasn't had more uptake in the US. I'd have thought your topography was perfect for it.

I drove down through Northern Spain a few weeks back and they've got huge wind farms.

Green energy really hasn't "fallen flat"
    Our area has had wind farms since the 80's. I don't think it was well managed back then, it always seem like 30% of them were off. Solar has been growing, not sure why dil thinks green energy has fallen flat.

I hear advertising on the radio from the state (especially on real hot days) that says to try and use most of our electrical energy during the day because almost all of it comes from renewable sources during daylight hours. I don't know how they come up with those numbers.

So it's not really a good argument for not building more wind farms now, more of an argument that we should have built them differently then.
    That's why it's so important to increase our efforts now. There will be problems but there will also be solutions. It takes decades to build something like this. Then upgrade it when we fine problem areas.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    So you touch it and get zapped?
    I don't touch it. It's safer that way. You may be aware of it, but 100% of the accidents that occur in the home have to do with touching a surface. I only have Surface Pros, which are safer, but just in case they meant floors, walls or ceilings....I stay well away from my house.

I don't touch it. It's safer that way. You may be aware of it, but 100% of the accidents that occur in the home have to do with touching a surface. I only have Surface Pros, which are safer, but just in case they meant floors, walls or ceilings....I stay well away from my house.
    More than 5 miles, right? They say that most accidents happen within 5 miles of your house... good thing I don't live near you ... sounds like your house is some kind of accident magnet.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I know, right?

I heard the same statistic. My house scares me.

King of sapila

Wouldn't it be cool if your house was powering robot guardians that shoot laser blasts on anything within the perimeter of 5 miles?!
    Even cooler if your house was powered by an internal computer brain and had metallic arms and feet so it could lift up and start chasing you!!

King of sapila

OPEC will cut production by 2 million barrels a day, likely sending gas and oil prices back up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bus...ly-s-rcna50808

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if your house was powering robot guardians that shoot laser blasts on anything within the perimeter of 5 miles?!
    Even cooler if your house was powered by an internal computer brain and had metallic arms and feet so it could lift up and start chasing you!!
    Isn't it dangerous enough already?

King of sapila

Isn't it dangerous enough already?
    It is but then it will be way cooler.

It's also an argument that we did not have any wind in August, so no power whatsoever and I think but not 100% sure, that those things consume power if they are still, so they "ate" our power supply in August.
    No Wind Turbines do not consume energy when they are still, why would they need to?

Our area has had wind farms since the 80's. I don't think it was well managed back then, it always seem like 30% of them were off.
    Wind turbine technology has improved dramatically since then, modern turbines need much less wind to turn and so generate electricity at times of low wind, which improves there overall output.

Also it amazes me that people complain at how they look, we have had factories billowing out smoke, ugly power stations, and electricity pylons crossing the country side, but the ugly things are Wind Turbines ??

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    No Wind Turbines do not consume energy when they are still, why would they need to?
    As I've said not 100% sure but a quick search reveled that they need to consume power when they are still to maintain their electrical system and if applicable their heaters when they start up.
    Also I think there is a power consumption when they support the initial wind startup and motors and a cost for stability and connectivity reasons when they operate (that of course self consume when active).

https://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ene...bines-Use.html
    http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html
    from http://www.aweo.org/problemwithwind.html#consumption

Also note, I'm not starting any conspiracy theory, I'm not an engineer nor do I have the desire to become one, I'm answering on if wind generators need power to operate. So don't start.
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 6th, 2022 at 06:12 AM.

They are tall, and they have lights. Heck, they have lights BECAUSE they are tall. Lights means a certain amount of electricity. It used to be a substantial amount that was used in things like traffic lights, and I would assume the same would be true for warning lights, since both have to be super bright. These days, traffic lights use LED tech, and the cost to operate has dropped substantially. Not sure about warning/navigation lights, though.

It's really no different from the electricity your TV uses when it's "off" ... there's still circuity that's running. I uses less than it would if it's one, but it's probably negligible. Same with the turbines... the amount they consume when not running is negligible. And probably more than made up for when it is running. You could probably outfit them with some batteries to run things when not running, and then when it is running, recharge them.

-tg

PowerPoster

Wind makes sense... where it makes sense. But that isn't everywhere, can be intermittent and unreliable, and has some environmental issues of its own.

Where wind power is harnessed

The top five countries in wind electricity generation and their percentage shares of total world wind electricity generation in 2020 were:

China–30%
    United States–21%
    Germany–8%
    United Kingdom–5%
    India–4%
    The US maps there are interesting.

Interesting article. I think those percentages could be a bit misleading if used to indicate enthusiasm for renewables though. I'd like to see percentages as a function of each country's total energy production rather than world wind production.

Anyhoo, back on topic, the Russian lines are now collapsing in both the North and South. The next couple of weeks are going to be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Anyhoo, back on topic, the Russian lines are now collapsing in both the North and South. The next couple of weeks are going to be critical.
    Early on in this thread Putin using nuclear weapons was pretty much dismissed out of hand. At this point I don't think it is that easy to dismiss.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Wind makes sense... where it makes sense. But that isn't everywhere, can be intermittent and unreliable, and has some environmental issues of its own.

Where wind power is harnessed

The US maps there are interesting.
    That map for the US is interesting, but also a bit misleading. When it comes to wind, there are some really interesting micro-climate effects that become important. There's a canyon that I have driven through several times, south of Salt Lake City. It's mostly notable because...it means that you are FINALLY through Salt Lake City (man, that city seems interminable), but also because of the deep cluster of wind turbines packed into the end of the canyon. Must be a pretty strong wind tunnel effect going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Early on in this thread Putin using nuclear weapons was pretty much dismissed out of hand. At this point I don't think it is that easy to dismiss.
    I feel that the chance of him using a nuke may be as high as 40%, by now. His options are really quite bad, and narrowing.

PowerPoster

I feel that the chance of him using a nuke may be as high as 40%, by now. His options are really quite bad, and narrowing.
    That's a scary percentage.

If it does happen, I hope the response is swift and severe. Which includes removing Putin. Not that I want to destroy Russia, I want to destroy the perception that using nuclear weapons can be used to get what you want. As a bully tool. If the world gives a country a pass and just says don't do it again, it will happen again and again.

PowerPoster

I'm pretty sure that after Biden bumbled his many handlers and apologists began spinning overtime to erase his statement of regime change.

Biden Finds No Respite at Home After Returning From Europe

With the last nine, unscripted words of an impassioned speech about Russia's aggression in Ukraine, President Joe Biden created a troubling distraction, undermining his effectiveness as he returned home to face restive Americans who strongly disapprove of his performance on issues that matter most to them.

His comment that Russia’s Vladimir Putin “cannot remain in power” — an assertion that his aides were forced to quickly clean up — overshadowed his larger message of solidifying the Western coalition that’s confronting Moscow.
    So the Deep State behind him won't let Biden's words go unredacted, at least not publicly.

Biden’s case isn’t helped by his approval ratings. A slim 34% of Americans think Biden is doing a good job handling the economy, which is normally the top issue for voters in an election year, according to a poll released Thursday by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

His contentious assertion about Putin in his Warsaw speech did little to help things. The White House rushed to clarify that Biden wasn’t actually calling for “regime change,” but by the next day it became clear that the dramatic statement had produced some of the first overt cracks in unity among NATO nations that had just convened in Brussels for an emergency meeting.

So you must either accept that regime change is not on the table at all... or that the current leadership is inept and corrupt and intent on misleading the public and not trusted by nominal "allies." You just can't slice it both ways no matter how hard you try.

PowerPoster

That article was from March, you should know that political statements have about the same shelf life as fish. lol

So you must either accept that regime change is not on the table at all... or that the current leadership is inept and corrupt and intent on misleading the public and not trusted by nominal "allies." You just can't slice it both ways no matter how hard you try.
    You need to be more specific; inept, corrupt, misleading that could describe a lot of the current leadership on both sides of the isle. Also, a lot of the past leadership.

I hope the response is swift and severe
    I suspect you'd be looking at a massive and overwhelming conventional response, mostly from air strikes and long range (e.g. cruise) missile strikes. At this point Russia's air force and air defences have been completely hollowed out and Nato almost certainly has the capacity to annihilate the Black Sea Fleet and every military unit in Ukraine in a matter of days.

Personally, I'd still rate it at a lot less than a 40% but it is a growing chance.

Biden was putting his foot in his mouth when dinosaurs were still walking the earth. Still, I've often wondered whether or not some of his statements on Taiwan weren't carefully orchestrated slips. This might have been one, as well. Putin is hinting at nuclear use to try to get the US and EU to back down. Those indirect rounds might be traveling in both directions.

Can't find those approval ratings, though. I can find other numbers, but not those.

PowerPoster

I suspect it will eventually all die with a whimper. The sanctions alone are wreaking havoc on economies around the world, then you have the resources needed at home being whizzed away propping up EU/NATO pride and globalist ambitions, and finally you have Russia being pushed deep into the camp of some of the most despicable regimes on the planet.

Given a little more time support for this misadventure will drop out of sight even among the gullible puppets of the corporate media.

Given a little more time support for this misadventure will drop out of sight even among the gullible puppets of the corporate media.
    It will but not for the reasons you imagine here.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1724252627282930 ... LastLast