Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

PowerPoster

Re: Current Russia Ukraine tensions

What Does Vladimir Putin Have on Joe Biden?

You don’t need a secret dossier authored by a British ex-spy for hire like Christopher Steele to understand the possible weird real-world mirror version of Russiagate. This time, it’s basically all out in the open—or at least it was, until the press and social media scrubbed reports of Hunter Biden’s laptop from the internet in the run-up to the 2020 election. The laptop, whose provenance and contents have both since checked out beyond any shadow of doubt, give evidence of Hunter’s financial relationships with foreign officials and businesses, like the more than $50,000 per month he got for sitting on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company, starting in the spring of 2014.

The reason that a company like Burisma was willing to pay the drug-addled son of the vice president of the United States so much money for a no-show job wasn’t to buy his expertise in natural gas exploration and drilling, of course. Hunter Biden’s sordid memoir, Beautiful Things, published last year, makes it clear that, during the period in question, he was a wreck of a human being who spent lavishly on crack and methamphetamine, which he consumed in expensive hotel rooms in the company of prostitutes. It would seem that the obvious point of paying Hunter Biden was to buy protection from the American official in charge of Ukraine policy—Joe Biden.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Germany has no army
    Yes they do. All the European nations do. They're not on the same scale as the US or Russia but Germany currently has roughly 160,000 men under arms (not including navy and air force). It's actually more than the UK at 108,000 though they have larger population so it roughly evens out.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

Well, hardly.
    We are 1/8 population and we have 130,000 men.
    Also I did not know UK had only 108.00 men.
    Hey maybe we can invade you! Teach you to eat proper by force!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Hey maybe we can invade you! Teach you to eat proper by force!
    It'll never work.

It sounds like Turkey sold a fair number of drones to Ukraine, so they appear willing to play both sides of that one. That would make sense to me. After all, it never pays to be TOO friendly with Russia, though it would make sense for Turkey to be somewhat friendly with Russia.

I also don't think that Russia would be thrilled being an economic partner with China. That would be a terribly unequal relationship, and with a partner who doesn't particularly like you. I really doubt that Russia would like to play Belarus to China.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Why are you answering instead of Funky?
    You are not a UK resident now are you?
    Can we talk invasion plans without interruptions? Thankyouverymuch. (The nerve of some people...Bah!)

Greece. Invading and conquering since 5000BC. Reliable partner of ©United city states.

Why are you answering instead of Funky?
    You are not a UK resident now are you?
    I had to. Unfortunately, the UK has been changing such that the old stereotypes just aren't true anymore. Actual residents will just be baffled, or offended, or something, because we aren't acknowledging the improvements they have made. Heck, their dentists are now so effective that the teeth in the UK may be better than in the US. It's just that the truth isn't nearly as much fun, these days.

On a somewhat more serious note, I grew up in the New England part of the US. Not knowing any better, I thought the food we had there was pretty good, and to be fair, it was, it just wasn't very diverse. We had some excellent seafood, but otherwise it was pretty 'American', which means burgers, tubers, and some veggies. I was fortunate to eat some good Italian food, and just recently found out that I did so because my grandmother had learned Italian cooking from a close friend who was an Italian cook. Otherwise, the only spice I likely would have encountered would have been salt.

Once I left that area, I found that there was a much larger world of cuisine out there. Now, I see New England as being distinctive, but uninspiring, when it comes to food options. Still great seafood (though some of the fisheries collapsed), but otherwise, pretty white bread.

Oddly, Idaho has some really great diversity. Naturally, we have a fair amount of Mexican food, but around me there is also quite a bit of sushi, Indian, Ethiopian, Iraqi, Basque, and various different Asian restaurants. It's really nice.

Can we talk invasion plans without interruptions? Thankyouverymuch. (The nerve of some people...Bah!)

Greece. Invading and conquering since 5000BC. Reliable partner of ©United city states.
    Greece? Bah! Unless you count Alexander, your invasions were modest, utilitarian, affairs. You invaded for principle, not just for loot, land, and ladies. With the exception of the Athenian affair in Sicily, you haven't even overreached all that much. And even if you DO count Alexander, you don't even stack up all that well. He didn't massacre civilizations as any proper invader would do, he incorporated their armies and techniques into his own army. It's as if he respected their innovations and culture. And you call yourself an invader. HA!

How did this post get a 6:04 PM date stamp?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I had to. Unfortunately, the UK has been changing such that the old stereotypes just aren't true anymore. Actual residents will just be baffled, or offended, or something, because we aren't acknowledging the improvements they have made. Heck, their dentists are now so effective that the teeth in the UK may be better than in the US. It's just that the truth isn't nearly as much fun, these days.

On a somewhat more serious note, I grew up in the New England part of the US. Not knowing any better, I thought the food we had there was pretty good, and to be fair, it was, it just wasn't very diverse. We had some excellent seafood, but otherwise it was pretty 'American', which means burgers, tubers, and some veggies. I was fortunate to eat some good Italian food, and just recently found out that I did so because my grandmother had learned Italian cooking from a close friend who was an Italian cook. Otherwise, the only spice I likely would have encountered would have been salt.

Once I left that area, I found that there was a much larger world of cuisine out there. Now, I see New England as being distinctive, but uninspiring, when it comes to food options. Still great seafood (though some of the fisheries collapsed), but otherwise, pretty white bread.

Oddly, Idaho has some really great diversity. Naturally, we have a fair amount of Mexican food, but around me there is also quite a bit of sushi, Indian, Ethiopian, Iraqi, Basque, and various different Asian restaurants. It's really nice.

Greece? Bah! Unless you count Alexander, your invasions were modest, utilitarian, affairs. You invaded for principle, not just for loot, land, and ladies. With the exception of the Athenian affair in Sicily, you haven't even overreached all that much. And even if you DO count Alexander, you don't even stack up all that well. He didn't massacre civilizations as any proper invader would do, he incorporated their armies and techniques into his own army. It's as if he respected their innovations and culture. And you call yourself an invader. HA!
    I grew up in Greece and I ate great Greek food. I went to UK and ate...Something.I went to US and ate, something better.I went to France and I ate something even better, I went to Italy and I ate something good, also tried some exotic cuisines , fried ice cream was pretty decent ...I went to back to Greece and I ate Greek great food.

I does not matter the amount of invasions . They where invasions , we gave the know how and armies still study the techniques. Alexander invaded everything that moved but ye that damn Yuppie was a goody goody. I mean, come, on. Kill with power! Diieee Dieee!! And it's not our fault that the other side where sometimes soft, like the Persians....On that note. You're welcome. Stopping them most probably created the western civilization..Or...We are sorry for the western civilization. Whatever side you want to pick...

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    You haven't found the conspiracy of the mods yet?! Have a great awakening man!

You haven't found the conspiracy of the mods yet?! Have a great awakening man!
    I noticed it when you mentioned he answered for FunkyDexter. I was thinking it was GMT.

King of sapila

Maybe we should plan a house to house to house invasion to teach them a lesson!
    I would bring the food to stuff them!!

What are you on about? I see 11:04, which is when I posted it.

That sounds like a good, if slow, idea.

King of sapila

Some people are kinky, what can I say.
    OK, slow food feeding until stuffed t is!

Kind of a coup de fois gras?

PowerPoster

I mean, you've got a President of Ukraine whose political qualifications were that he played the President of Ukraine on some Ukrainian TV show. You've got a feckless, impotent US President. You've got Putin, who fancies himself the reincarnation of Rasputin. This isn't surprising. I doubt it would have happened under a Trump second term.*

*I'm not suggesting that a Trump second term wouldn't have been problematic for a host of other unrelated reasons. Just that this current thing probably wouldn't be playing out this way.

Fanatic Member

War started 1h ago

PowerPoster

I doubt it would have happened under a Trump second term.
    Don't know what makes you think that. Trump was scared as hell of Putin. He praised him every chance he got. He still has been. It was embarrassing the way he tried to suck up to him. He threw America under the bus several time in an effort to ingratiate himself to him.

But that's not really important now, what's important is all the lives that are going to be lost over political egos. This seems to be a never ending story. Power hunger politicians send other people off to die.

King of sapila

Schistolithic US gas and Russian gas.
    Who benefits?

King of sapila

Kind of a coup de fois gras?
    Coup de souvlaki or coup de giros or both...And a plunger.

What are you on about? I see 11:04, which is when I posted it.
    This is what I see...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We need to look at both sides. Trump is calling the move "genius" and close to half of Americans live and breath his words. His words:

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius,'” he said. “Putin declares a big portion of Ukraine as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful.”
    And this:

“This is genius,” Trump said in a conservative talk radio interview at his Mar-a-Lago resort, echoing his past praise of the Russian president. “Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine — Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. He used the word ‘independent’ and ‘we’re going to go out and we’re going to go in and we’re going to help keep peace.’ You’ve got to say that’s pretty savvy.”
    So maybe half of Americans think this is great? I hope not; but Trump has quite a few people in his "camp".
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Feb 24th, 2022 at 06:13 AM.

King of sapila

US, the protector of the weak.
    It's Gas Gas Gas.

You haven't found the conspiracy of the mods yet?
    The mods are a lie....

It's Gas Gas Gas.
    I'm inclined to say your right, at least in the last 20 or so years. Before that I think there were some genuinely benign US interventions in, for example, the former Yugoslavia and (of course) two world wars. But, yeah, at least since 9/11 interventions do seem to corelate uncomfortably well with Oil interests.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I do want to challenge the general sentiment that America's allies haven't been doing enough.

The cost of military effort is generally measured in two ways: blood and treasure. In terms of treasure, I agree, the other members of NATO haven't been contributing anywhere near as much the US and that analysis can be extended to members of the UN. In terms of blood, though, it's worth bearing in mind that there have been 2 hot conflicts in the last 20 years: Afghanistan and Iraq. Both of these were driven solely by US interests. In the first pretty much all the member nations of the UN sent troops into conflict on America's behalf. In the second, not so much (though I think most would agree the reasons for that conflict weren't legitimate in hindsight) but a significant number did... and that included Ukraine.

In terms of treasure, the US has definitely over-contributed. But in terms of blood, you kinda do owe Ukraine your support.

King of sapila

I wouldn't say owe.
    I mean we are pro Russia no matter if we are on NATO.
    Also Turkey is currently pro Russia.
    Also why US starts a fight, put's the allies in front and sits comfortably on the couch sprouting threads to Russia?
    In the front end it has to be done to keep the appearances but in the back end US benefits from the conflict as I said.
    So we have people protesting in US for poor ol Ukraine when in reality US currently benefits from the situation.
    It's looks like the covid thing all alone and what some stuff those 2 musketeers were bombarding the forum with but for another issue.

King of sapila

There is a poll right now on a know Greek media site on if people agree with Putin actions.
    4976 Votes in 1 day.
    It's 81% Yes , 19% No.
    I think it's per session so I don't know if it's viewable but : https://poll-maker.com/results418730...?src=emb#tab-2

PowerPoster

A 10 minute summary:

PowerPoster

Sanctions. Why don't we just call them names. Tell them we wont like them anymore.

I don't think sanctions will make the people of Ukraine feel protected.

That being said, I hate the thought of boots on the ground and soldiers dying. But Putin seems to want to test the willingness of the US/Nato to engage in armed conflict.

King of sapila

What willingness?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Sanctions. Why don't we just call them names. Tell them we wont like them anymore.

I don't think sanctions will make the people of Ukraine feel protected.

That being said, I hate the thought of boots on the ground and soldiers dying. But Putin seems to want to test the willingness of the US/Nato to engage in armed conflict.
    Ukraine is not a NATO member...If Putin attacks a NATO member I believe article V will kick right in. We are about due for WW III.

I certainly feel sorry for the Ukrainians, but I still stand firm that there should be no US involvement in this conflict.

As far as sanctions go, how often do they actually hurt the people in charge? More often you will find that sanctions hurt the citizens of these countries more severely than they do the leaders. Not only that, but the leaders can then point to the sanctions and say "see, this is outside US involvement that is hurting you".
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I certainly feel sorry for the Ukrainians, but I still stand firm that there should be no US involvement in this conflict.

As far as sanctions go, how often do they actually hurt the people in charge? More often you will find that sanctions hurt the citizens of these countries more severely than they do the leaders. Not only that, but the leaders can then point to the sanctions and say "see, this is outside US involvement that is hurting you".
    If it hurts the right/enough people Putin might be gone. And I mean the right very powerful Russian people. There are are already reports his mental abilities are diminished and his Parkinson's disease is noticeably progressing. Might be time for fresh blood.

PowerPoster

Ukraine is not a NATO member...If Putin attacks a NATO member I believe article V will kick right in. We are about due for WW III.
    Don't think being a NATO member is a deciding factor. Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia ...

But I really don't have any good idea on how to deal with Putin. Letting him take what he want sounds like a terrible idea and sending troops in is just as scary.

We've supplied a fair amount of arms. If they can bloody Putin, it could change things.

King of sapila

You forget that Russia took 45% of the grounds in 11 hours.
    That means that either they are bad solders or not fighting or there is a lot of Russia friendly population over there.
    Anyhow NATO did it's best to meddle the planet. Now China may invade Taiwan and a RuChina collaboration begin.
    Also Europe, little gullible Europe. We are going to freeze but, you know as I've said before the lower medite countries are used to it.
    However I predict a quick surender from Ukraine, seen that NATO did squat to help them. They took their eyes out with their own hands, believe , who, who? NATO! I mean if it wasn't that serious I would be laughing my rfas off with how idiotic they where.
    Last edited by sapator; Feb 24th, 2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Don't think being a NATO member is a deciding factor. Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia ...

But I really don't have any good idea on how to deal with Putin. Letting him take what he want sounds like a terrible idea and sending troops in is just as scary.
    I'm missing your point...none of the countries you listed are are members of NATO? If Russia attacks a NATO member it invokes article V meaning NATO unites and fights back. Maybe you are thinking of OPEC

I'm missing your point...none of the countries you listed are are members of NATO?
    I think that was the point. It's not membership of NATO that has driven whether Western nations have responded to aggression with military action. It's been self interest.

I think Sap's making a logical fallacy though. The fact that NATO members have responded to situations in non-NATO countries does not imply that they won't respond to situations in NATO countries.

So, you would make like a Turkey? .. --> "Get stuffed"...
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast