Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VB6 Compile Error

Frenzied Member

Re: VB6 Compile Error

Quote Originally Posted by fpojre View Post
    No, this is a WIN7 machine. I have to keep this one running on WIN7 because of older programs I need such as Access97
    Ok. That being the case, I would still pursue the route of getting VB 6.0, Excel 97, etc. installed inside of an XP VM. If you have strict legacy compatibility uses for that computer, which it sounds like you do, trying to add more legacy stuff on top of it is not wise and could end up breaking stuff that is currently working.

Just my two cents. I can't assist further, but good luck.

Lively Member

OK, I'm all for that. Can you advise on how to install that XP VM?

Frenzied Member

I'm not in a position to offer any sort of granular guidance for you. I personally use VirtualBox. It is free for personal use, not sure about commercial use. You will obviously need a Windows XP install CD and license code, etc.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Good luck.

PowerPoster

OK, I'm all for that. Can you advise on how to install that XP VM?
    Well in Windows 7 the XPMode which ran as a Virtual machine and gave you a full licensed copy of XP. I think this was only present in the Pro and Ultimate versions of 7 but not sure. I have never loaded the Home version of any version of Windows on my systems, usually I use pro versions but have had the ultimate versions of 7 and 8 installed as well as the buisness version of Vista and the media center edition of XP.

Lively Member

I have an old XP machine. I'll have to look and see what's on it. This may take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I personally use VirtualBox.
    I'd recommend Microsoft's Hyper-V platform over VirtualBox. VirtualBox has far less strict requirements but it's performance is horrible in my opinion. It can be damn near unusable in my experience. Hyper-V on the other hand performs at near native speeds. Sometimes you can't even tell that you're running in a VM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I'd recommend Microsoft's Hyper-V platform over VirtualBox. VirtualBox has far less strict requirements but it's performance is horrible in my opinion. It can be damn near unusable in my experience. Hyper-V on the other hand performs at near native speeds. Sometimes you can't even tell that you're running in a VM.
    I've never used Hyper-V, so I can't comment on comparative performance. That being said, I have zero performance issues with VirtualBox VM's in my usage of them, with the exception of a Windows 98 VM that I set up just for "fun", but that is because their support of Win9x VM's was not a top priority for recent editions (which is completely understandable IMO), and their Guest Additions aren't compatible.

But yeah - bottom line - MS Hyper-V, VirtualBox, or some other virtualization option would be better than messing with a physical Windows 7 box that has some existing special legacy software requirements.

PowerPoster

I have tried the MS version, Virtual Box VM Player and ended up going with VM Workstation.
    All of them have pros and cons but from what I have saw the VM workstation has the most upside.

I ran some performance tests and the results were surprisingly good.
    I had two older machines one running Windows 2000 and one running XP. Using some VM client tool I imaged both of them and converted them into VMs that run on a Windows 7 box.
    I ran performance test on the original PCs and then again on the VM generated and in both cases the VM was ~25% faster than the original PC. Of course the Windows 7 PC has a little faster CPU with more cores and more ram but I only allocated 2 cores and 2gb to each VM and still get the ~25% increase.

In general all three seemed to work ok and of course VM workstation is not free but if you need a good VM it is worth the price.

Hyperactive Member

No, this is a WIN7 machine. I have to keep this one running on WIN7 because of older programs I need such as Access97
    I think the suggestion to use the VM with XP is so that you can at least get this working/compiled. Once you do that, running it in your Win7 environment shouldn't be an issue. It does appear you have a lot of missing pieces. I went through this not long ago and going to a VM to at least make sure all was working before moving over to Win 10 (in my case). :-)

Lively Member

Unfortunately, Hyper V isn't available for WIN 7. I'll have to look for something else. Someone else suggested VM Workstation. I'm looking at that.

Hyperactive Member

Unfortunately, Hyper V isn't available for WIN 7. I'll have to look for something else. Someone else suggested VM Workstation. I'm looking at that.
    I used VirtualBox. Works.

Lively Member

I've installed VMWorkstaion Pro and have XP installed. I've run into a road block as I can get the virtual machine to connect to my host internet so I can download and run Office 97 (for Excel install)
    The Manual isn't very helpful. Need some help here as to what I may be doing wrong.

Lively Member

Ok, I finally figured out the connection issue, however, when I attempt to go the the microsoft store to download Office, I it keeps giving me "Page cannot be displayed" I've checked all the internet connections in XP and don't know why it's giving me this error.

Frenzied Member

IE in Windows XP is essentially incapable of connecting to almost all websites these days for a variety of compatibility/SSL related reasons. Download the installer from outside of your VM and then copy it inside your VM (there are a multitude of ways to accomplish such a file copy).

Good luck.

Lively Member

Well, that answers that question. Now the issue is I can't find Office 97 anywhere on the web to download. Only torrent files which I don't trust.

Frenzied Member

Well, that answers that question. Now the issue is I can't find Office 97 anywhere on the web to download. Only torrent files which I don't trust.
    Yeah, you need the original install media, of course. Can't help you with that, obviously. Good luck.

Lively Member

Well, update and good news. I've found Office 97 and have it installed.

Frenzied Member

Once you have Visual Basic installed (and service packed) then you should try opening the project and see if all of the dependent components, etc. are available.

Lively Member

I'm going to install VB first thing in the morning and then transfer the project code. I'll provide an update at that time. Appreciate all the help everyone has provided.

Lively Member

Does anyone know why my CD Drive isn't showing up in VMWorkstation. I need it to show in order to install VB6

PowerPoster

Why Office 97, I would go with at least Office 2000 as it can still support Access 97 format and supports the more standard Office 2000 mdb format or Office XP. I have numerous old projects that use a 97 mdb but I have not used Access 97 since Office 2000 was released.

Lively Member

OK, I've finally got Office97 installed and moved the db project into the download folder, then tried the VB6 folder. I got this error on loading:
    "Path not found: C:\Forms\mdiFPOAD.frm"-Continue
    Loading Project". And for same for the other forms while loading. So I closed and removed it.
    Where is VB looking for it on the virtual machine?

Frenzied Member

In C:\Forms\...

Lively Member

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but presently there is no C:\Forms| subfolder on C drive. These are the current folders
    Documents and Settings
    Downloads
    Program Files
    Program Files *x86)
    WINDOWS
    Now I can create that folder in anyone of these, however, which one is correct or is it just a subfolder under the main C:\ root folder with the othes?

PowerPoster

Not in any of those. Your message says it is looking for C:\Forms. This means it expects to have a forms folder in the root of the C drive which is definitely not recommended.

You can however go into the vbp with notepad and change the paths to where they are on your system. Personally I always save my projects so that the path for the files is relative to the location of the vbp. So if the forms are in the same folder as the vbp then there is no path in the vbp file, just the filename and that allows you to move the entire project from drive to drive, pc to pc without any issues.

It looks like your project on the previous computer was using a C:\Forms folder to store the forms files. You should probably recreate that folder and any other folders that the project was using, and copy the appropriate files to those folder(s).

Lively Member

Ok, to make matters simple, I just copied the entire program over the the VM. The Project opened and the changes I need are there, however, when the project loaded I got this error on all the forms that loaded:
    Line 226: Class Threed.SSPanel of control panErrorQuery was not a loaded control class.
    Line 284: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbQueryError was not a loaded control class.
    Line 2187: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbarReport was not a loaded control class.
    Line 3735: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbarLatestSave was not a loaded control class.
    I don't know if that matters.
    There is only 1 form I need to change and those are showing. So is the next step just Under File "Make CraneTracker.exe"? or do I need to do something else first?
    In the Project Window there is also an option under "Publish" for Source Files or Build Outputs. Don't know if these are needed/required prior to attempting to make this "exe"?
    Appreciate the help. Again, this wasn't my program.

Frenzied Member

Ok, to make matters simple, I just copied the entire program over the the VM. The Project opened and the changes I need are there, however, when the project loaded I got this error on all the forms that loaded:
    Line 226: Class Threed.SSPanel of control panErrorQuery was not a loaded control class.
    Line 284: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbQueryError was not a loaded control class.
    Line 2187: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbarReport was not a loaded control class.
    Line 3735: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbarLatestSave was not a loaded control class.
    I don't know if that matters.
    There is only 1 form I need to change and those are showing. So is the next step just Under File "Make CraneTracker.exe"? or do I need to do something else first?
    In the Project Window there is also an option under "Publish" for Source Files or Build Outputs. Don't know if these are needed/required prior to attempting to make this "exe"?
    Appreciate the help. Again, this wasn't my program.
    Errors matter.

The errors you got pretty much guarantee that the project won't build properly. All of those load errors need to be resolved before you should try to compiling the program.

Regarding the Threed.SSPanel error, see this post:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post1805509

Frenzied Member

Regarding the MSComctlLib.ProgressBar related errors, try

-Create a blank project
    -Click "Project -> Components"
    -Scroll down to "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP???)"
    -Check that box and make sure the filename listed below the list is "MsComCtl.ocx"
    -Click Ok.

Is that entry even present in the components list? Do you get an error when checking the box and clicking ok? Do a number of additional controls show up in the toolbox after checking the box and clicking ok? Is a ProgressBar one of them? What is the SP number that shows up for you that I've indicated above with 3 question marks?

Basically, you need to baby step this. There is no point making any changes to any code until the project loads successfully.

Lively Member

Ok, I went to the components list and checked the box for Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 and the filename was the ocx file.
    No error received when "OK" was checked.
    There is no (SP) after that particular entry. It's just plain 6.0. There is a 5.0 (SP2) above it and there are 3 below that entry (25.0 (SP2), 26.0, 36.0)

Lively Member

Further update
    When I went to load the project after checking the Windows Common Controls 6.0 I received an "Error during load refer to DisplayStudies.log" and after that just an "Errors occurred during load" (No reference), then "Errors during load refer to QA.log"
    then 4 more "Errors occurred during load" boxes, again No references on those 4.
    Went to those 2 logs as follows:
    Attachment 183975Attachment 183976

Frenzied Member

What service pack (if any) for Visual Studio/Visual Basic 6.0 did you install after installing Visual Basic? If none, then you need to track down and install Service Pack 6 before proceeding.

Since it seems that Microsoft has pulled the download for VS 6.0 SP6B, I saved you the trouble of trying to track it down and found a copy of it on the wayback machine at archive.org. I'm wrapping the URL in code tags so that it isn't made a clickable link, since it is an exe file.

Code:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111011123759/https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/0/3/f03c202d-1ce4-4267-9393-a8a4b400a982/Vs6sp6B.exe

Lively Member

Thanks, I'll install that and get back to you tomorrow.

Lively Member

Ok, I've installed the VB SP6B. What next?

So, with SP6 installed, are you still getting the same errors / issues?

Lively Member

Let me check. I haven't reloaded the project

Lively Member

Same Errors on loading.
    From the DisplayStudies log
    From the QA log
    Line 126: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbQA was not a loaded control class.
    Line 2585: Class MSComctlLib.ProgressBar of control pbQueryWatch was not a loaded control class.
    And the other "Error occurred during load" - didn't change. They're still there.

Frenzied Member

Review this post:

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5145237

That might be at play here, where the listed version of MsComCtl.ocx in the vbp file differs from the installed version on your VM, and simply manually changing the version inside the vbp file (using Notepad) to match the version installed fixes it.

I posted a link earlier to what needs to be done regarding the Threed.SSPanel error. You will need to follow the steps outlined in that link, because by default, the Threed ActiveX control in not installed with VB6.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast