Thread: Visual Basic 2005

Visual Basic 2005

Hi
    Looking to download Visual Basic 6, is there anywhere I can download it from.

Thanks

Re: Visual Basic 2005

Moderator Actions: Moved from Visual Basic .NET to Visual Basic 6 and Earlier
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Leo67, Microsoft has not made this a free product, even though they no longer sell it.

However, I've purchased several copies through the years from eBay. Just don't get the "Learning" edition nor the "Upgrade". Anything else (Visual Basic 6 or Visual Studio 6) should serve your needs.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Also just in case you did not know VB6 is not the same as VB2005. VB6 is VB98 as in 1998 after which you have the .Net versions 2005 being the third of those .Net versions.

Hi
    Thanks for replying, please could you advise me what is the best version of visual basic to get for Windows 10, so is version 6 the best.

Hi
    Thanks for your replies, ebay does not have much at the moment in the way of VB6 software. Could anyone recommend an alternative to VB6 that I could run on windows 10. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leo67 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for replying, please could you advise me what is the best version of visual basic to get for Windows 10, so is version 6 the best.
    Do you have a specific need for VB6? e.g. supporting existing code, or VB6 is needed for a college course etc?

If you don't have a requirement for VB6 then you might be better off looking at VB.Net (Visual Studio community edition is free).

Yea, I'll second what PD says. If you're just interesting in Visual Basic and don't care what flavor it is, it's best to go with something like Visual Studio 2019 or the latest, Visual Studio 2022. Both have community editions that are free to download. And don't let the fact that it's just a community edition fool you. They are still extremely powerful and almost fully featured IDEs.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Hi
    thanks for your replies, I use VB6 for programming on an old XP laptop, if I use Visual Studio 2019 would that require me to learn a new programme and is it possible to transfer the existing programs over from the XP laptop. thanks

PowerPoster

Newer versions of VB are different from VB6. A lot of the VB6 code will work in VB.Net but much has changed and programs created in VB6 will not work in VB.Net. up to VB2008 had a convertor program that would attempt to take a VB6 program and convert it to VB.Net but the results were not great.

At any rate if you have experience in VB then VB.Net is fairly easy to get started with but again it is different.

Hi
    Wondered if anyone could help I have found a website link removed by moderator which has VB6 as a free download, never heard of it before and wondered if others have used the site for downloads and if it is legit.
    Thanks
    Last edited by dday9; Feb 11th, 2022 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo67 View Post
    Hi
    Wondered if anyone could help I have found a website link removed by moderator which has VB6 as a free download, never heard of it before and wondered if others have used the site for downloads and if it is legit.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Leo67, Microsoft has not made this a free product, even though they no longer sell it.
    I'm not clicking the link because the whole thing feels sketchy and I don't feel like getting IT involved if something goeswrong with my computer. If they're offing genuine VB6, then it's not legit. It's pirated copy, or they're definitely breaking the EULA somehow. You don't get to buy VB6 and throw the installation up on a web site for all the world to download for free. It's possible it could be a VB6 derrivative - there's a project going on here called TwinBasic that's a VB6 compatible project that runs in VS Code. But I'll leave it up to a more adventurous soul to click the link and see what you're dealing with here.

-tg
    Last edited by dday9; Feb 11th, 2022 at 09:17 AM.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

There's no such thing as a free lunch. I personally wouldn't touch it and I also removed the external link because it goes against our acceptable use policy.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram