Thread: How can I use Windows handwriting recognition in VB6

Hyperactive Member

Question How can I use Windows handwriting recognition in VB6

Hello!

I have a request from a customer. She wants to use a pen to write a text on a Windows tablet computer and handwriting recognition in order to write text into my VB6 application / textbox.

I have not found any article about this.

How could I do this?

Thank you!

PowerPoster

Re: How can I use Windows handwriting recognition in VB6

Probably the most common control you'd use would be the InkEdit Control. There are additional "peer" high-level controls as well as some lower-level controls. The libraries containing these have shipped as part of Windows since XP Tablet Edition and then Vista came out in 2006.

These are documented in the CHM Help that comes in the Tablet PC SDK. The last version I'm aware of is 1.7, though 1.7 also had a supplemental update package released later on.

I doubt that Microsoft hosts these downloads at this late date. I'm not sure that later Windows SDKs provide the Help (or Win XP Redist "inkless" versions of the control libraries either). I doubt there is much still posted online at Microsoft for this information either, since most VB-related information has been expunged bit by bit starting years ago. There is still some .Net and C++ related info online but that won't help you very much.

You might find some small working program examples in the CodeBank here.

Hyperactive Member

Re: How can I use Windows handwriting recognition in VB6

Thank you. I found a code by dilettante. ;-)
    However, I also found out that Windows 10 has the option "Invoke handwriting box if a textbox is clicked".
    This already did what I needed.