Thread: [RESOLVED] Tooltips on Popup Menus

Resolved [RESOLVED] Tooltips on Popup Menus

I've been down this "dead end" road at least once before, maybe twice.

I just finished writing a nice subclassing procedure that tells me when a popup menu's item goes "hot" and when it's no longer "hot". (Hot = mouse is hovering over popup menu's item).

And then, I tried to put a ToolTip balloon onto that popup menu's item. But, no matter what I do, the ToolTip won't come up. I use this exact same ToolTip procedure in many other places and it works just fine. Here's a line out of the ToolTip procedure:

Code:

hWndTT = CreateWindowExW(WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW Or WS_EX_TOPMOST, StrPtr(TOOLTIPS_CLASS), 0&, lWinStyle, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 0&, 0&, App.hInstance, 0&)

Here's my theory. Both a Popup menu and a Tooltip balloon are both sort of special things. When the user clicks off of them (another application or not), they self-destroy. So, I'm thinking that Windows allows only one of these things at a time. Therefore, the fact that my Popup menu is already up, that's freezing out the Tooltip balloon.

I've Googled and can't find any documentation for this theory, but I can't think of another explanation.

Anybody have any confirmation of this, or maybe an idea of something else I might try?
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Re: Tooltips on Popup Menus

You know? I have managed to get ToolTips on the pulldown items of a ComboBox. And that's also two self-destroying windows on top of each other.

Hmm, so, I'm gonna keep working on this thing a bit longer.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Ok, I've figured out what I'm doing wrong. I used hMenu for the hWnd. So, I need to turn hMenu into hWnd, and then try it.

I've found GetMenu, but I don't see an inverse function for this. And I'm not exactly sure that's the answer anyway. I've tried the hWnd of the form with the menus, and also the hWnd of the form which calls PopupMenu (which isn't the same form). But neither of those works. I need the hWnd of the actual window that's got the menu items on it, and I'm just not sure if that's hMenu or not.

Ok, I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong. I can't find anything to "convert" a hMenu into a hWnd, other than to get the window to which the menu is attached. And, since these are PopupMenu menus, I guess they're attached to the form that called them. In fact, I explicitly placed a Me.PopupMenu on them. But, Me.hWnd still doesn't work for the ToolTip.

Grrr.

Crud, I found the following...

Code:

Dim hPopupHWnd As Long
        hPopupHWnd = FindWindow("#32768", 0)

...and then used that hPopupHWnd in my TOOLINFO structure, but still no go.

Just as an FYI, here's the TOOLINFO structure I'm using:

Code:

Private Type TOOLINFO
        lSize       As Long
        lFlags      As Long
        hWnd        As Long
        lId         As Long
        '
        'lpRect      As RECT
        Left        As Long
        Top         As Long
        Right       As Long ' This is +1 (right - left = width)
        Bottom      As Long ' This is +1 (bottom - top = height)
        '
        hInstance   As Long
        lpStr       As String
        lParam      As Long
    End Type

Whatever hWnd I pass in, I plug it into both .hWnd and .lId. In fact, here's all my TOOLINFO setup:

Code:

' Setup our tooltip info structure.
        ti.lFlags = TTF_SUBCLASS Or TTF_IDISHWND
        If bCentered Then ti.lFlags = ti.lFlags Or TTF_CENTERTIP
        ' Set the hwnd prop to our parent control's hwnd.
        ti.hWnd = ParentHwnd
        ti.lId = ParentHwnd
        ti.hInstance = App.hInstance
        ti.lpStr = TipText
        ti.lSize = LenB(ti)

I don't know...

I've tried all combinations of "#32768" class, the form that called PopupMenu, and the form that defines the menus ... as the parent for the ToolTip.

I've tried sending a TTM_ACTIVATE message.

I've tried using GWL_STYLE and WS_VISIBLE, forcing it to be visible, and it actually reports as visible.

I've tried all combinations of TTF_SUBCLASS, TTF_TRACK, & TTF_TRANSPARENT ... always specifying TTF_IDISHWND.

IDK, occasionally I break it for regular operations, but I've never once gotten it to work on a PopupMenu.

It's definitely calling my CreateToolTip procedure because I've got all kinds of Debug.Print statements in it, and that's where I'm doing all the testing.

I'm sure it's something trivial I'm missing, but I can't figure it out.

I'm starting to think I was correct to begin with. Both ToolTips and Popups us that #32768 class. I'm thinking that Windows only allows one of those at any one time.

But that gives me an idea. I'll just develop my own Popup form that looks like a context menu. That way, I know I can get tooltips on the items.

PowerPoster

You can position the tooltip by x,y right?

You just need to get the selected menu item, then use GetMenuItemRect.

One of the examples jdc2000 linked did it that way:

Code:
     	void SetToolTipPosition(HMENU hMenu, UINT nItemID)
     49  	{
     50  		RECT rt = {0,0,0,0};
     52  		// find Item Rectangle and position
     53  		for(int nItem = 0; nItem < ::GetMenuItemCount(hMenu); nItem++) {
     54  			UINT cmd = ::GetMenuItemID(hMenu, nItem);
     55  			if(cmd == nItemID) {
     56  				::GetMenuItemRect(m_hParent, hMenu, nItem, &rt);
     57  			}
     58  		}
     61  		// move position
     62  		::SendMessage(m_hToolTip, TTM_TRACKPOSITION, 0,
     63  						(LPARAM)MAKELPARAM(rt.right + 10, rt.top + 2));
     64  		// make it top most
     65  		::SetWindowPos(m_hToolTip, HWND_TOPMOST ,0,0,0,0, SWP_NOSIZE|SWP_NOACTIVATE|SWP_NOMOVE);
    Those GetMenu___s are all APIs you can call from VB.

I rolled my own, found here. I'm calling this one resolved.