Thread: DataGridView question - extra space showing on headertext

DataGridView question - extra space showing on headertext

I have a design-oriented question about the DataGridView control. I have a DataGridView with several columns set at design time. The column.AutoSizeMode is set to ColumnHeader. As expected, this results in the columns being sized to the width needed to show the text of the column header.

But there is a large amount of dead space after the text of the column header that I can't seem to get rid of and that also unnecessarily increases the column width – please see the attached image.

Does anyone know what setting controls this extra space?

Name:  dgv Image.png
Views: 244
Size:  4.0 KB

Re: DataGridView question - extra space showing on headertext

I should have continued my hour long search a bit longer... this uniform space is where the sorting glyph appears when the column is sortable.

Here's a post on the subject on Stackoverflow with a rather intriguing solution posted by flodis. The post and solution is for c# but could be adapted for vb.net.

Re: DataGridView question - extra space showing on headertext

Is your issue resolved? If so, please use the Thread Tools menu to mark the thread Resolved so that we can see that you don't need any further help without opening the thread and reading both posts.