Thread: The New Beatles Documentary (Get Back)

The New Beatles Documentary (Get Back)

I've just started watching it. I got through two parts last night. I'll probably knock out the third part tonight.

First, let it be said that I'm a pretty big Beatles fan. I don't listen to the "The Beatles Channel" on SeriusXM, but I do keep it tuned to "Classic Vinyl" about 90% of the time, occasionally flipping over to NPR to make sure the world hasn't blown up.

I've seen most of the other documentaries, but it's been a while since I've seen one. I'm particularly enjoying this one, and enjoy all the live filming as they practice. Some people are criticizing it, saying that people should just watch one of the others, but I think they're just weird.

Watching the interactions and the patience the Beatles have with each other (and the occasional impatience they have with others) is rather phenomenal to me. And, in the first one, watching Paul try to make up for the loss of Brian Epstein, and the trouble he got into for it, is absolutely fascinating. And I love all the candid shots of Ringo just watching John and Paul banter.

And the way they bounce around from topic to topic is amazing, seemingly understanding each other perfectly ... but, to the outside viewer, it's a bit dizzying. However, the longer I watch, the more I get sucked in and start understanding their personalities and who they are. They're particular brand of creativity (or, creativity at that time) is truly amazing to me.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Re: The New Beatles Documentary (Get Back)

I saw that advertised but haven't seen it yet. I am a huge Beatles fan. I actually saw them in concert but that was before I was a fan. My sister is three years older than me and my parents took her to see them and dragged me along. She still has the stubs. All I remember is you could barely hear anything more than screaming. That was Pittsburgh PA 1964.

It has all passed through my hands but I have had ALL kinds of Beatle paraphernalia. Albums, posters, books, etc. Like baseball cards they might have been worth something today.

Edit:

I just remembered how sad I felt when they broke up. I would wait in line to buy their albums as soon as they were available.

No matter how big a fan I am I could never get behind "Revolution 9". That song sucked! I even played that backward when you supposedly could hear "Paul is dead". I put two record players next to each other, put an album on one, the Beatles album on top of that, and that reversed the "revolution" song just like a gear would be reversed. Poor quality and I don't think Paul was actually dead.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Jan 4th, 2022 at 03:57 PM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I don't think Paul was actually dead.
    My daughter saw him at Bonaroo a few years back, and he was alive and kicking then. I was super-jealous of her, and I never got to see them in concert. Tyson, I think you and I are about the same age. I did get to see Hendrix, Moody Blues, Tull, and a couple other big names. Those concerts were definitely an experience.

Ohhh, and this latest documentary really shows why they broke up. It almost makes you feel ok about it.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I like The Beatles as a band but I had the cult of personality around the band as well as the individual members. My best friend growing up's mom was a huge John Lenon fan. She still remembers where she was when she heard the news that he was shot. Then again, I'm only 30 years old and can't really relate to the birth of rock and roll lol

I will probably still watch the documentary. My wife loves The Beatles and so I guarantee you this will be something that has "I can't wait to watch with you hun" written all over it.

Edit - They broke up because Lenon was a whiny brat that never grew up. "oh I had a troubled childhood, so I want to get out and do my own thing". I guess when you make as much money as The Beatles did, you don't really need to ever grow up.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I like The Beatles as a band but I had the cult of personality around the band as well as the individual members. My best friend growing up's mom was a huge John Lenon fan. She still remembers where she was when she heard the news that he was shot. Then again, I'm only 30 years old and can't really relate to the birth of rock and roll lol

I will probably still watch the documentary. My wife loves The Beatles and so I guarantee you this will be something that has "I can't wait to watch with you hun" written all over it.

Edit - They broke up because Lenon was a whiny brat that never grew up. "oh I had a troubled childhood, so I want to get out and do my own thing". I guess when you make as much money as The Beatles did, you don't really need to ever grow up.
    Dday9, you really should watch the latest documentary if you want a better perspective about all of that. To some degree, it's 5 hours of watching them rehearse. But, if you settle down with them, you really see the patience that group creativity takes, and you also see the true magic of John and Paul working together, and some incredible creativity emerge.

I just really liked it because it wasn't some "third party" telling me what was going on. It was just a raw view of them as people, and how they went about creating music. Watching them all chain smoke, and do silly things, you truly get the sense of them being people, as opposed to some cult leaders or gods, or whatever.

Also, this documentary makes it clear that they quit touring because they were tired of fighting everyone trying to tear off their clothes. They just wanted to live "normal" lives, without all the "crazies". But, and this documentary shows this too, they are truly happiest when they're making and performing music. In many ways, they played their last concert on the rooftop so nobody could "get at" them, but also so that they could perform for a crowd. In a sense, it's as if they just wanted to perform, but not have everyone go nuts when they did.

IDK, this series just really showed me an up close and personal view of who they were. It really doesn't show Yoko Ono trying to break them up (for which she's been massively blamed), and it really doesn't show hardly any animosity (other than George being a bit upset that Paul doesn't respect him as much as he thinks he should be). Interestingly, Ringo just goes along with all of it. But when it's all over, you just get the feeling that all was good, but that it was time for everyone to go their own way. Also, with all of them being millionaires at that time, that made the decision quite a bit easier.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

FYI, I used to live next door to George Harrison. We lived in an old mid-Victorian Carbuncle complete with multi-chromatic brickwork, a spire and carvings of monks in harness. It was one of the old the gatehouses to Friar Park in Henley on Thames. Our dog Penny would regularly become trapped up near the top of the scale model of the Matterhorn in George's garden (yes quite true, look it up) and she would be brought back by George and lifted over the fence into my arms with mirth on his and apologies on my part. He was a nice bloke. Never met the other Beatles, never saw them there.

That was George's house, mine was the same style but built in smaller scale.

https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    FYI, I used to live next door to George Harrison. We lived in an old mid-Victorian Carbuncle complete with multi-chromatic brickwork, a spire and carvings of monks in harness. It was one of the old the gatehouses to Friar Park in Henley on Thames. Our dog Penny would regularly become trapped up near the top of the scale model of the Matterhorn in George's garden (yes quite true, look it up) and she would be brought back by George and lifted over the fence into my arms with mirth on his and apologies on my part. He was a nice bloke. Never met the other Beatles, never saw them there.

That was George's house, mine was the same style but built in smaller scale.

Really charming. I can picture him sitting in the back in the garden.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Chaw! Mais, that's a house!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

The Beatles were OK but they were no Rolling Stones

<swiftly legs it out of the thread before the inevitable backlash>
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm a Stones fan too, but they were just very different. IMHO, about the only thing they had in common was that they were both placed in the Rock-n-Roll genre and they were both from Britain.

IDK, for me, this documentary just gives a unique perspective and insight into the lives of four VERY famous people. I've seen a couple of filmed rehearsal sessions with Keith Richards, and they're fun to watch, but he's a bit of a mess. I still like him though.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Our dog Penny would regularly become trapped up near the top of the scale model of the Matterhorn in George's garden
    Did she whymper?

(there's one of the greatest, most obscure, trivia, puns I have ever made)
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    The Beatles were OK but they were no Rolling Stones

<swiftly legs it out of the thread before the inevitable backlash>
    When I was in high school there was a definite divide, Beatles fans vs Stones fans. I wasn't to caught up in it because I was to busy doing other things. But I would have fallen into the beatles camp. the older I got the more I shifted towards the Stones. I really like the Abby Road album but really disappointed inn the psychedelic stuff, Sargent Peppers album, meh.

Music use to seem very important, I had collection of 4 track tapes, albums, eight track tapes, cassette tapes and CD's. I had good home stereo's, still do. Listened to it a lot. Went to concerts. Use to go watch my friends band practice. But now a days I only listen to music in the car. And it doesn't matter much what's playing. Man I'm old!!! lol

And your hearing is shot from going to all those concerts.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Did she whymper?

(there's one of the greatest, most obscure, trivia, puns I have ever made)
    and no-one but me would understand...
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.