Thread: I want to ask the user to login only English text ??

Hyperactive Member

Question I want to ask the user to login only English text ??

Hi..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: I want to ask the user to login only English text ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mysystem View Post
    Hi..
    So what exactly are you wanting? Do you wnat to limit the input? Display a message? What? Give as much detail as possible when asking a question, not a screenshot and virtually no words. This question is almost an identical starting point to https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....mber-in-a-Text anyway, is there anything in your previous thread that might be relevant here?

Hyperactive Member

Question Re: I want to ask the user to login only English text ??

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    So what exactly are you wanting? Do you wnat to limit the input? Display a message? What? Give as much detail as possible when asking a question, not a screenshot and virtually no words. This question is almost an identical starting point to https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....mber-in-a-Text anyway, is there anything in your previous thread that might be relevant here?
    Yes I want to limit the input only English ?

Then place a label above the textbox with it's caption "Only English allowed"
    But you already asked the same question in a previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    But you already asked the same question in a previous thread.
    It's different. This one is about login in English and the previous one was about the password (in English).

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    It's different. This one is about login in English and the previous one was about the password (in English).

cheers,
    </wqw>
    That isn't really different both are about entering data into a text box. It doesn't matter if it is a login, a password, the name of your favorite sports team or whatever.
    As for (in English) I really don't know what you mean by that. Are you saying that you want to confirm that what they enter is a valid word in the English language or are you simply talking about normal ASCII Alpha characters?

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    . . . I really don't know what you mean by that.
    It means I made a mistake entering such serious thread where the serious coding efforts are happening and everyone knows what they're talking about. . . NOT.

Will be leaving now, just unsubscribed the thread.

cheers,
    </wqw>

I'm interpreting it as "limited to ASCII only", but that's just my assumption. Maybe he/she just wants alpha/numeric, or maybe just alpha, or maybe just upper-case alpha.

Mysystem, if it were me, I'd do it by monitoring the KeyDown, KeyPress, KeyUp events, putting some code in there that forced my limitations. And I'd also make sure the textbox was labeled well, telling the user what I was expecting.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Yeah, this is really a difficult thread to post anything logical. OP---we don't know what you mean by 'English only". As you are PROBABLY aware, usernames can be made up of all sorts of ASCII characters. Unfortunately (???), there are several world languages other than English which can be searched with ASCII...Arabic, and Chinese 'letters', for example, are NOT ASCII (in almost all instances). And usernames may or may NOT be an actual 'word' (as found in dictionaries), so to check English dictionaries would be fruitless (and could be time consuming at best). SO, what DO you mean by 'English Only'?

I assume you really don't want to try to restrict entries to English (IMHO, it would be virtually impossible). And to even SUGGEST using English would seem foolish.

Is what I am telling you, logical?
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Yeah, this is really a difficult thread to post anything logical. OP---we don't know what you mean by 'English only". As you are PROBABLY aware, usernames can be made up of all sorts of ASCII characters. Unfortunately (???), there are several world languages other than English which can be searched with ASCII...Arabic, and Chinese 'letters', for example, are NOT ASCII (in almost all instances). And usernames may or may NOT be an actual 'word' (as found in dictionaries), so to check English dictionaries would be fruitless (and could be time consuming at best). SO, what DO you mean by 'English Only'?

I assume you really don't want to try to restrict entries to English (IMHO, it would be virtually impossible). And to even SUGGEST using English would seem foolish.

Is what I am telling you, logical?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    hi
    Yes, the goal of my question is how to impose conditions on the user !

--------------------------------------------------------------
    hi
    Yes, the goal of my question is how to impose conditions on the user !
    What conditions though?

Hyperactive Member

What conditions though?
    -----------------------------
    hi

I want the user to enter
    writing in text
    only English

-----------------------------
    hi

I want the user to enter
    writing in text
    only English
    What do you mean by "only English" though? Just characters in the English alphabet? ASCII characters?

Hyperactive Member

What do you mean by "only English" though? Just characters in the English alphabet? ASCII characters?
    ------------------------------------------------
    letters and words

letters and words
    So only valid English words, as found in an English dictionary?

letters and words
    If by login you mean username, then you have to take into account different keyboard layout languages, and convert their language's character's unicode to a usable format. They may not have the option to convert their keyboard to English, simply because they can't install an English pack, or just don't know where to start to be able to enter English text.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Jan 5th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.

Usernames are not GENERALLY 'words' one would find in an English dictionary. Many will have numbers (an ASCII number) as well (example: SamBrown2022). A username (as far as I know) is also restricted to ONLY letters and numbers (and maybe a dash or period); but a space or a backslash, or a comma, for example, would not be allowed. As this is YOUR program, how does one initially GET a username? Is this form you are creating supposed to be the start of some sort of registration?
    Are you REALLY concerned with Arabic or Chinese (etc) not being allowed as a username? If so, why?
    So, you see, trying to restrict to "ENGLISH" is far more complicated than you think it is. If I were creating a form for someone to create a username, I'd write it IN ENGLISH and 'politely' inform the potential user to use only English letters (upper or lower case should not matter if you code a check correctly), numbers and possibly underscores, dashes, bangs (upper case 1 on a keyboard). All of those can be checked against an ASCII chart (of course you CODE that 'conversion' when checking entries). As YOU are coding this, you can restrict a username to whatever you desires, but keep in mind the pitfalls with things like the ampersand, carots, commas, quotes, etc etc etc.

I guess the REALLY question to ask, is WHY? Along with, What language(s) are you targeting? '

(Is this some sort of HOMEWORK assignment???)

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    Usernames are not GENERALLY 'words' one would find in an English dictionary. Many will have numbers (an ASCII number) as well (example: SamBrown2022). A username (as far as I know) is also restricted to ONLY letters and numbers (and maybe a dash or period); but a space or a backslash, or a comma, for example, would not be allowed. As this is YOUR program, how does one initially GET a username? Is this form you are creating supposed to be the start of some sort of registration?
    Are you REALLY concerned with Arabic or Chinese (etc) not being allowed as a username? If so, why?
    So, you see, trying to restrict to "ENGLISH" is far more complicated than you think it is. If I were creating a form for someone to create a username, I'd write it IN ENGLISH and 'politely' inform the potential user to use only English letters (upper or lower case should not matter if you code a check correctly), numbers and possibly underscores, dashes, bangs (upper case 1 on a keyboard). All of those can be checked against an ASCII chart (of course you CODE that 'conversion' when checking entries). As YOU are coding this, you can restrict a username to whatever you desires, but keep in mind the pitfalls with things like the ampersand, carots, commas, quotes, etc etc etc.

I guess the REALLY question to ask, is WHY? Along with, What language(s) are you targeting? '

(Is this some sort of HOMEWORK assignment???)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

hi

The point of the question is how certain conditions can be imposed
    the question
    Can the condition listed in the previous question be enforced?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    If by login you mean username, then you have to take into account different keyboard layout languages, and convert their language's character's unicode to a usable format. They may not have the option to convert their keyboard to English, simply because they can't install an English pack, or just don't know where to start to be able to enter English text.
    hi

the question

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I'm interpreting it as "limited to ASCII only", but that's just my assumption. Maybe he/she just wants alpha/numeric, or maybe just alpha, or maybe just upper-case alpha.

Mysystem, if it were me, I'd do it by monitoring the KeyDown, KeyPress, KeyUp events, putting some code in there that forced my limitations. And I'd also make sure the textbox was labeled well, telling the user what I was expecting.
    ----------------------------
    hi

the question

NO! See my explanationS.

Caveat: POSSIBLY, but it would take a whole lot more experience in 'other languages' than you appear to possess.

And you never answered my questions...like wqweto, I'm outa here as well...unsubscribed to this ridiculous thread.

Sam

--------------------------------------------------------------------

hi

the question
    Your previous thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....mber-in-a-Text gave examples of how a particular condition could be imposed, the general process would be the same for any conditions you need imposed.

However, you really need to understand what your actual conditions are. You are asking if a condition can be imposed without ever giving a clear explanation of what that condition actually is.

You haven't fully explained what you mean by "only English" and "letters and words", if you can't clearly explain your requirements how is anyone going to be able to give advice, the very first steo in programming is to understand what you want to do.