Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning Visual Basic Net

Re: Learning Visual Basic Net

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I think any semi-serious developer should write assembly code at least once in their life. There is something spiritual about it that I can't quite explain. When you get a piece of assembly code to work for the very first time, you feel the touch of God......Or perhaps I'm just crazy
    There's some truth in that. We had to learn some Assembly when I was going through Tech School in the Air Force ... couple of us already had dabbled in it before had... that would prove to be our undoing... when suddenly in a quiet room, the distinctive beeping of a PC speaker to the tune of the Imperial March suddenly rang out. It wouldn't be the first time we got tossed out of that class, nor the last.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    There's some truth in that. We had to learn some Assembly when I was going through Tech School in the Air Force ... couple of us already had dabbled in it before had... that would prove to be our undoing... when suddenly in a quiet room, the distinctive beeping of a PC speaker to the tune of the Imperial March suddenly rang out. It wouldn't be the first time we got tossed out of that class, nor the last.

-tg
    lmao....
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Yes. When I did my CS degree eons ago we studied PDP-11 and Z80 assembler. I also learnt 6502 assembler for my Acorn Atom. IMO it certainly helps understanding. The PDP-11 was connected to 16 teletype terminals - all with bells. I couldn't resist. One time the operator came into the room the terminals started to ring their bells to give a tune. Then they started to count! Once she got over the shock she was quite amused.
    Last edited by 2kaud; Dec 14th, 2021 at 06:05 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

More Digital Equipment Corporation Stories please!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Z80 assembler.
    I am just teaching myself that now... Had a z80 in my zx80 in 1979/1980 (self assembled) but never managed to learn how to program in assembler. A skill that I intend to pick up.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    My start date for VBForums of March 2011 was when I started programming and I started in Visual Basic .NET.

I was lucky enough to have mentors such as Shaggy, Niya, JMcIlhinney, .paul., and others who taught me generic programming concepts rather than Visual Basic .NET specific solutions.

My first contract job was integrating a PLC and a Vision System into an existing Visual Basic .NET HMI application and found a pretty good niche in doing that.

Ultimate, because I was mentored by such smart people, I was easily able to transition to C# as well as web languages like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (and it's many flavors like jQuery, Angular, etc.). Now I work full-time in a C# MVC back-end and either jQuery or Angular front-end.

Visual Basic .NET is a perfect starter language in my opinion because I started on it. I don't know if I would've stuck with programming had it not been for the easy to read syntax of Visual Basic and the strong mentoring of generic programming principles by the members of VBForums.

@MrPump, if you want set of lessons I'd encourage you to visit my website: www.vblessons.com. I'd even encourage you to read the Author's Notes section of the home page because it addresses those coming from a Visual Basic 6 and earlier background.
    That's a heart warming story.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    Getting your first serious VB program running is a pretty great feeling too. It was not only my first serious program - it was my first program too. I skipped the hello world program
    Well if I extrapolate that out to include anything BASIC, then that feeling for me was when I was something like 10 years old. I learned to program as a child and it was in many different flavors of BASIC available at that time. My first ever experience writing code was on an Apple PC though to be totally honest, I can't even remember if it was BASIC. I was just so young, literally a child.

To me every flavor of BASIC was the more or less the same. Everything from BASICA to VB.Net feels the same to me. Some are clearly superior but I haven't really felt that feeling of accomplishment that comes with learning a programming language for BASIC since I was a child. I felt it with every new language I picked up along the way but nothing tops the feeling of finally being able to grasp assembly to the point where you can write code that actually works. It was the best feeling ever.
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 14th, 2021 at 09:33 AM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    .... My first ever experience writing code was on an Apple PC though to be totally honest, I can't even remember if it was BASIC. I was just so young, literally a child.
    Yes, it was most likely BASIC, I assume you wouldn't have had the language card and be working in FORTRAN or PASCAL.
    The BASIC was built into the ROM.

Which BASIC, depended on which model.
    The Apple II (1977) had Steve Wozniak's "Integer Basic" installed. You can view the programming manual here.
    That is a fun read, even without the computer, and you can see how well they described things and how many small fun programs they gave as examples to aid your learning.

The Apple II+ (1979) had a version of Microsoft's Basic, called Applesoft, installed. You can look at its manual here.
    Its a good manual, I guess, but not nearly as entertaining as the Apple Basic book. But it was my base resource for learning my second version of Basic (along with half a dozen computer magazines I subscribed to at the time).
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Yea it could have been BASIC. The reason I'm hesitant to assume that it was is because shortly after that, I was introduced to an IBM 386 and I started programming in BASICA.EXE and I do recall having to learn a bunch of new stuff so the feeling I remember is a feeling of having to learn a new language. It probably just felt that way though. I was too young to understand that languages could have different flavors while being the same language, like the difference between VB6 and VB.Net. I cannot recall if it was actually a different language or just another version of BASIC. All I could remember was what I felt as a child learning BASIC on the 386. The feeling is all I remember.

As for the specific make of the Apple PC, I don't know what it was. The only thing I could recall was the screen having a greenish tint to it and the cursor was a block cursor, like a little square. For the life of me I cannot recall any more details than that.

Sinecure devotee

Well, if shortly after that you were working with a 386 then it could have been an even later Apple II, i.e. I think the IIe came out in 1981 or so. I'm pretty sure everything after the II+ was Applesoft Basic. But the IIe was my last Apple, not counting the Mini-Mac I got shortly before they switched from Motorola to the Intel processors.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Thanks for all those kind words, I appreciate it.

I am not new to programming I find anything written by Microsoft is difficult to understand.
    My first programming experience was in the 1980's when I bought a Radio Shack Tandy Color Computer using Basic.
    In the late 1980's I did some Assembly Language programming.
    In the 1990's Visual Basic.
    In the 2000's MikroC Pro for PIC and Assembly language.
    In 2016 I tried Visual Basic C# but never saw a reason to change to it as long as Visual Basic was still active.

I never programmed in any job that I had, I like to program for my personal benefit.
    I have programmed my own personal data bases which don't need anything more than Visual Basic.
    I have programmed Microchip PICs to use in the Hardware I build.

The only thing I was looking for here was better explanations for the Methods than what Microsoft gave me.
    When Visual Basic first came out Microsoft sold a book that had explanations and syntax of the statements used.
    Today all I find with all that is MSDN which is too expensive for me to use and not easy to read so I turn to this forum for help and I get it.

Since I am now 81 years old I probably won't learn another Language.

I thank all of you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPumper View Post
    Since I am now 81 years old I probably won't learn another Language.
    VB.Net it is then. It is probably the easiest of all modern flavors of BASIC.

Re assembly. I first learnt PDP 11, then 6502 and z80. I then had to learn Intel when I started to program MS-DOS using MASM/TASM. Later I programmed in 68000/68020 for a VME based minicomputer I was involved with. Of these I really hated Intel - but loved PDP/Motorola. It was really my loathing of Intel that got me started in c programming and then into C++. So yes, I agree with the premise that every programmer should at some point (and I would argue sooner rather than later) should develop a Basic ability to program in an assembly language.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

When Visual Basic first came out Microsoft sold a book that had explanations and syntax of the statements used.
    I may have had that book, or perhaps a later version of it. There was one that came out around VB5 or VB6. It was a brick, and not one of those small bricks like you might use for a fireplace. This was a big ol' brick of a book. It was useful, at the time. Not so much anymore, though. These days, there's just too much. You can't eat the whole elephant. By the time you get to the tail, you'll have forgotten that there even WAS a trunk. So, it's not just one bite at a time, you just have to live your life and pick up what you need to pick up when you need it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    So yes, I agree with the premise that every programmer should at some point (and I would argue sooner rather than later) should develop a Basic ability to program in an assembly language.
    How about assembling an ability to program in Basic?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I learnt programming at school when about 13 using HP Time-Shared-Basic (TSB). It used line numbers and gotos! You had a max of 286 numeric variables and 26 string variables which had to dim'ed before use with a max size of 255 each. But it had in-built statements for matrix manipulation (eg add, sub, invert , transpose etc) together with serial and random access files. Then after univ I worked as a programmer on DEC mini-computers using DEC Basic and on Data General minis using DG versions of Basic - which if I remember right had the in-built ability to create and manipulate lists. I did a lot of work with Pick Basic and Pick Assembler (now that really was different and like nothing else before or since!) When I moved to PC programming, I did some programming using gwbasic/qbasic but mainly I used c/pascal/assembler.
    Last edited by 2kaud; Dec 26th, 2021 at 05:04 AM.

I learned programming when I was around 12 or 13 back in the early 80s. I don't remember what version I used on this all in one PC (keyboard, disk drive, green monitor in one housing), but I do remember while my fellow classmates were learning Hello World and other simple programming, I was working on various types of collisions for game making. Years later on a Tandy 1000 in a graphics class, I continued my programming while everyone was drawing. I don't remember the basic I used then, around 1984-85, but created some pretty cool games besides a graphics program for sprite and background creation. I still have those floppys!

My older brother I believe learned assembly during this time. I didn't have a chance to give it a try since it wasn't offered to me in HS and we didn't own a PC. After HS, I dropped programming up until the late 90s where I dabbled with some form of basic for less than a year, but got back into it using VB.NET around 2013.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 27th, 2021 at 07:53 AM.

I got a Language Reference book and a Programmer's Guide book with my brand new copy of VB3 Pro, which was kind of useful as the internet wasn't what it is now in the early 90s...

I still have those books, and the 3.5" VB3 installation disks. I think there were nine disks
    Last edited by .paul.; Dec 24th, 2021 at 06:46 PM.

In the 90s I was stumped by the use of the WIN API but slowly began to realise that without the WIN API VB6 was hamstrung. Initially I had nothing but frustration with VB6 and raged against this foreign wizardry that to my mind had nothing to do with BASIC. I came to realise the power of the combination and how essential it was for VB6 to harness or take control of the underlying o/s. Some of my programs now just act as API glue logic and it is largely the APIs that do the real work. Still feels slightly wrong though even after all this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12