Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VB6 vs .NET differences ... IDE, libraries, functionality, whatever

VB6 vs .NET differences ... IDE, libraries, functionality, whatever

This really isn't something I care much about, but I thought I'd start a thread so that Schmidt and Niya (and whomever else wanted to join in) didn't continue derailing other threads in their ongoing discussion.

Poor Dimbil has probably gone running for the hills to never be seen again.
    Last edited by Elroy; Dec 5th, 2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: VB6 vs .NET differences ... IDE, libraries, functionality, whatever

Well, I did precisely this and the thread was shutdown as Niya went bonkers.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

The Idiot

theres a similar thread in chit chat

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ce-and-for-all

and this one is almost the same

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....VB6-Here-s-why

not sure what more is there to say?
    but lets start again.......

This was mine that went to ten pages before Niya went loco and the thread was locked.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....NET&highlight=

Really truly, any poor sod that raises a query that has both VB6 and VB.NET in the title is going to suffer the pain of an Olaf/Niya row on his thread. A red rag to a pair of bulls resulting in a lot of bullship.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    This really isn't something I care much about...
    Who cares...

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Poor Dimbil has probably gone running for the hills to never be seen again.
    Well, it certainly wasn't you (nor uncleber or baka),
    who answered the OPs question directly with 2 VB6-based examples.

But please continue your VB6-discussion here in this wonderful thread...

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    theres a similar thread in chit chat

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ce-and-for-all

and this one is almost the same

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....VB6-Here-s-why

not sure what more is there to say?
    but lets start again.......
    Oh yes,
    we need another Food Thread, I would like to pronounce szlamany "Cook of the Year"
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

We didn't derail that thread. dday posted his best attempt at a VB6 solution and also offered a more up to date version of the .Net code he posted. However, buried in that post was this comment:-
    Code:
    ' whatever bloated way VB6 creates a text file from a String, maybe something like (pseudo code)
    This was a comment in the VB6 pseudo code he posted and this is why you 'sixers went nuts. I find it interesting you guys love to deride .Net with all manner of derogatory terms, calling it bloated and whatnot yet when one of us derides your precious VB6, now it's war. You guys could have ignored that comment and just moved on. The truth is, you guys started this not us. Also note that in this case the thread was relevant to .Net. The comparisons were not out of place.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Olaf, the help you provide is for free and is invaluable being from such a well of deep expertise.

Niya, I am sure your .NET knowledge is deep too, your VB6 knowledge is certainly vastly deeper than mine. Your desire to educate and help is equally unmatched.

There is just a sense of anticipation on each such VB.NET/VB6 thread. As soon as I saw it, in my mind I said to myself "In the Blue corner is Olaf at 230lbs, the heavyweight VB6 champion and in the red corner is ... Niya!"

SO many threads have degenerated into a battle - that we expect the same whenever the two of you show up in the same thread. That anticipation on our part is not unwarranted, so please you chaps, do not be offended. You should realise you have a reputation for battling that is thoroughly documented. The evidence is at our disposal.

When I created my boxing ring thread for you two to battle it out I did so tongue-in-cheek hoping you would see the funny side and lighten up a bit. It didn't work. It wasn't pleasant and the thread was locked. For lovely Elroy to create the same type of thread shows you are having an effect on the whole community when you battle. That effect is not positive. In contrast your contributions to other's questions are so positive individually. Could you not make a promise to yourselves to simply never answer a post from the other? Find away of bringing some respect into your arguments?

A suggestion. In the UK parliament, the MPs have to refer to each other as "The Honourable Gentleman" and it defuses antagonism and allows the participators the opportunity to be more creative. The whole place becomes more civilised. Some similar self-restraint is called for here. You could try preceding all your arguments with that and we would all of us smile...including yourselves.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Dec 6th, 2021 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    W I find it interesting you guys love to deride .Net with all manner of derogatory terms, calling it bloated and whatnot yet when one of us derides your precious VB6, now it's war. You guys could have ignored that comment and just moved on. The truth is, you guys started this not us.
    Niya or the Honourable Gentleman Niya, there are no "you guys", that is just you and Olaf arguing it out with a few others on occasion chiming in to show you how crazy you have become in your evangelising. I mean crazy here in the true sense of madness, not in the US sense of unexpected or amazing, just plain mad.

You cannot create an opposing group in your own mind and then blame them for arguing with you en masse. That "you guys" displays nothing but paranoia and a weird and primitive impulse to lump all your perceived enemies into a group. You need to undo that image.

I am currently taking off my black suit and shiny black shoes, removing my dark sunglasses and parking the gloss black sedan at the the back of the building so that I look less threatening.

PS. I will keep the earpiece on though so I can contact VB6 control at any time.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Dec 6th, 2021 at 06:05 AM. Reason: earpiece!

"This contest is scheduled for one fall"
    DING DING DING
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

We didn't derail that thread. dday posted his best attempt at a VB6 solution and also offered a more up to date version of the .Net code he posted. However, buried in that post was this comment:-
    Code:
    ' whatever bloated way VB6 creates a text file from a String,
    This comment was derogatory and clearly false...

In my answer I've posted two different ways, how VB6 produces an UTF8-XML-File in one Line:
    1) New_c.FSO.WriteByteContent App.Path & "\some.xml", SB.ToUTF8 '(RC6 COMponent)
    2) DOM.save App.Path & "\some.xml" '(MS-XML6 COMponent)

...you 'sixers went nuts.
    No, "we" didn't - all I had to say to ddays comment was:
    "As always, you .NETers underestimate the amount of available COM-Objects VB6 can make use of... "

...that's a true statement, because you clearly don't know enough about the available project-Refs we can use...

And BTW, the thread was already long "moved to the VB6-Forum-section" at this point.

As always, the only one who's trolling is you, Niya (I don't make my coments in the .NET-forum-section).

Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    This is where the problem starts. Subsequent posts revealed that the VB.Net compiler allows you to directly embed XML in code which is as efficient as you can possibly get. I'm not surprised that dday and other VB.Net users would think of the VB6 methods as bloated. You could have just accepted that and moved on. Like what's the big deal. XML literals is just one tiny area where VB.Net outshines VB6. It is what it is.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

The Idiot

not sure why thats a problem at all.
    I actually like the limitations and that you need to "code" to make something work. is it not how c/c++ works? u need to "include" tons of stuff or you will never be done coding.
    all those pre-installed components/libraries makes coders lazy and in the end oblivious whats going on behind the curtains.

if I want a "xml" reader, I want to see how it is done. and also "customize" it as I want it. (already done that a few times, and my parser's do exactly what I need but not more)
    I hate waste, and I hate super-classes that gives me 10.000 functions when I just need 2.

for me .NET stands for bloated. maybe you should rename it as ".BLOAT"

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    I actually like the limitations and that you need to "code" to make something work.
    I used to be like this to a ridiculous degree. I used to want to re-invent everything. Fortunately I grew out of this. I was just wasting a whole bunch of time for nothing but my own amusement. This isn't a practical attitude.

I used to be like this to a ridiculous degree. I used to want to re-invent everything. Fortunately I grew out of this. I was just wasting a whole bunch of time for nothing but my own amusement. This isn't a practical attitude.
    What the Honourable Member Niya didn't grow out of is the proselytising which he does at every opportunity. It is practically a religion for him that he needs to declare and convert others to as well. I think that passion for a language shows levels of deep nerdiness, after all, it is only a computing language and BASIC at that. No need to create enemies where none exist.

Added to that a personal battle with another Honourable Member and we have a recipe for forum disaster.

I hand over to the Honourable Gentleman a guide for resolving such a disaster.

https://www.parliament.uk/globalasse...office/g07.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    What the Honourable Member Niya didn't grow out of is the proselytising which he does at every opportunity.
    I say what I feel and I believe to be true. I don't care if that hurts anyone's feelings. Not hurting people's feelings is not something that is important to me in discussions like this.

I can't wait till this one becomes a battleground as well. Just know that it's not me this time that's bringing this up. The OP in that thread is having problems with the IT departments of his clients complaining about VB6 being outdated and not future proof. Can't wait to see how this one will be pinned on me too.

PowerPoster

I can't wait till this one becomes a battleground as well.
    "Battleground"?
    "...can't wait"?

Clearly shows a certain "trolling mindset", if you ask me.

Just know that it's not me this time that's bringing this up.
    And still here you are, "bringing this up" in "just another thread".

Can only shake my head at your behaviour.

Olaf

"Battleground"?
    "...can't wait"?

Clearly shows a certain "trolling mindset", if you ask me.

And still here you are, "bringing this up" in "just another thread".

Can only shake my head at your behaviour.
    I agree. He WANTS a battle. He relishes it. You are a Jehovah's witness Niya, your chosen religion is strange. You simply can't keep quiet. Nothing will restrain you. Olaf's presence spurs you on to further weird behaviour - see my closed thread as an example of where you will go when off the leash.

Apologies: I should have said

"I do agree with the Honourable Member for Germany. The Honourable Member for the unknown South American Island is a Jehovah's witness whose chosen religion is strange. He simply can't keep quiet. Nothing will restrain him. The presence of the Honourable Member for Germany spurs him on to further weird behaviour - see my closed thread as an example of where he will go when off the leash."
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Dec 6th, 2021 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    "This contest is scheduled for one fall"
    DING DING DING
    Here's the one fall.

Everybody knows everybody else's position, so we need not go on with this. I saw DDay's comment, and felt it was probably incendiary, but that's pretty much how it goes in Classic VB: People state their opinion....and then add a dig that is clearly going to be red meat for the passions around this language. People really do care. I get that. I don't understand it, since it's just a programming language, but I get it: People really do care.

What I don't understand is the motivation that causes people to add those digs. I don't expect anybody to take it lying down, and I assume nobody else expects that, either, so I assume that it's about starting a fight, goading the sensitive, or something like that. I'm not immune to that, either.

I worked in an office that was notorious for practical jokes. I managed to start a federal investigation with one legendary prank. However, one of the pranksters understood the pranks better than the rest: It's about getting a reaction, so he simply wouldn't react. Alphabetize his keyboard? No reaction. Paint his desk hunter orange with green drawers? Act like it was still gray.

I'd like to mix it up, too, but perhaps it would be better for everybody if people would just think twice before throwing out a deliberate insult towards another person, or something we KNOW other people care about.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I didn't think the comment was derogatory and it certainly isn't clearly false. In my limited experience writing to files in VB6, it has always been several steps with several caveats using a FileSystemObject. You showed that if you use this so called RC6 library that it can be done much simpler.

To make you feel more comfortable, I will edit my post to modify the comment.

Edit - I did not realize that this thread was closed, otherwise I would not have posted. My apologies.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Sorry about that. I just felt it was going nowhere good at a high rate of speed. You can reopen if you'd like.

I agree. He WANTS a battle. He relishes it. You are a Jehovah's witness Niya, your chosen religion is strange. You simply can't keep quiet. Nothing will restrain you. Olaf's presence spurs you on to further weird behaviour - see my closed thread as an example of where you will go when off the leash.

Apologies: I should have said

"I do agree with the Honourable Member for Germany. The Honourable Member for the unknown South American Island is a Jehovah's witness whose chosen religion is strange. He simply can't keep quiet. Nothing will restrain him. The presence of the Honourable Member for Germany spurs him on to further weird behaviour - see my closed thread as an example of where he will go when off the leash."
    Errr.....what?

You're a real unusual fellow

my closed thread as an example of where you will go when off the leash.

see my closed thread as an example of where he will go when off the leash."
    It always amuses me when you mentioned this. That was so PG-13. That was tame. Like that was nothing.

Getting into heated debates online is nothing new to me. I've done it all over the internet on a wide variety of topics. I'll show you what Niya "off the leash" looks like. I'm going to show you a post I made on another forum years ago on the eve of them shutting. This was was a video game forum that no longer exists but I saved the post. Lots of people were making "farewell" posts before the boards go offline so I decided to give my own farewell.

Fair warning, this is not for the faint of heart as I use some strong language there. I know some of you are quite PC and maybe quite sensitive, if you are, do not follow the link.

And BTW, I wasn't really angry when I made that but I did mean every word. They were some of worst human beings I have ever met online. I was grinning the whole time writing it in anticipation of the reaction it would elicit and I wasn't disappointed.

mod edit> link removed
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Dec 7th, 2021 at 05:40 AM.

You probably meant 'elicit', but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to link to something bad on the internet. There's too much to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You probably meant 'elicit', but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to link to something bad on the internet. There's too much to choose from.
    Yea I meant to say elicit. No clue why I spelt it like that.

Well uncleber seems a bit fascinated or perhaps he is still a bit shocked when I went off on SDA. I'm just showing him that to me, that's nothing. I've been cussing people out on the internet since I was a teenager. Me sparring with Olaf is not any attempt at trolling or being subversive. It's just about I honestly believe. If I were really looking to troll or pick fights, then it would look more like what I linked. I'll just let you have it. You'd just get this wall of text laden with every profanity I could think of.

a bit of that is true, but that would leave in the near future only a few people that are able too write Code "themself"
    so I agree with baka

I was at my Car mechanic the other(just a usual Inspection) day. I was a comment of his ......
    the new generation of mechanics don't know how to diagnose a fault, they plug in the Computer that then say's ..Sensor B Steering fault 30012.... with no further questioning they change that Sensor and most of the time the Computer is right.
    if not then the mechanic is screwd
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Well that was a light-hearted way to start the day by reading all the posts in this thread. Keep it up! I look forward to reading round 2 tomorrow.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Well uncleber seems a bit fascinated or perhaps he is still a bit shocked when I went off on SDA.
    Niya, what substance are you currently taking that makes you say such puerile things?

That is an example of how words are twisted by your mind and how you present other's statements deliberately incorrectly in some way to impune them. You aren't that clever Niya, it is quite obvious what you do.

I quoted that thread solely as an example of how you ruin and destroy threads by your weird behaviour. It isn't behaviour that will shock us chaps that have been through a lot more than you know, and I doubt anyone here would EVER be shocked by it, we see so many examples of it on the net. It is merely childish and stupid to continue in the manner which you do. We might be annoyed by you but never shocked. You are too obvious for that.

Instead of shock, the one description that underlies your style of argument is the word immature. By now any adult doing what you do would have learnt that what they are doing isn't fully 'right'. You have admitted as such earlier.

What I would prefer, rather than you drawing people into your web and creating a growing "them and us" list of enemies, is for you to simply back off and stop the incessant battling. It isn't helpful to those OPs you are trying to help, it pollutes threads and it achieves nothing but makes this forum an unpleasant place for noobs. How many have been frightened off by those battles?

It isn't healthy but simply put you enjoy it, that's why you do it.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

@Niya, I removed the link. I appreciate that you kept the content off the site but you really shouldn't be linking to it either.

a bit of that is true, but that would leave in the near future only a few people that are able too write Code "themself"
    I would say exactly the opposite. Baka is arguing that he prefers that a developer to have to write (or at least dive into) the underlying complex code themselves on the basis that it proves they have an understanding. I feel that's gatekeeping. If a language can provide a library sufficient to make that understanding unnecessary then that's a good thing. It doesn't remove the need to have coders out there who have the deeper understanding required to write those libraries but why would you exclude developers who are good enough to simply use a library?

As to whether .Net or 6 has better libraries, I find that highly debateable. Personally I much prefer .net as it's all neatly supplied in the framework which gives easy access and consistency. The VB6 model is more like the c#/java/various web frameworks where you can seek out a bunch of different libraries provided by different suppliers and weave them all together, that tends to offer more choice and flexibility. Either approach has it's merits but I prefer the former.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Niya, what substance are you currently taking that makes you say such puerile things?

That is an example of how words are twisted by your mind and how you present other's statements deliberately incorrectly in some way to impune them. You aren't that clever Niya, it is quite obvious what you do.

I quoted that thread solely as an example of how you ruin and destroy threads by your weird behaviour. It isn't behaviour that will shock us chaps that have been through a lot more than you know, and I doubt anyone here would EVER be shocked by it, we see so many examples of it on the net. It is merely childish and stupid to continue in the manner which you do. We might be annoyed by you but never shocked. You are too obvious for that.

Instead of shock, the one description that underlies your style of argument is the word immature. By now any adult doing what you do would have learnt that what they are doing isn't fully 'right'. You have admitted as such earlier.

What I would prefer, rather than you drawing people into your web and creating a growing "them and us" list of enemies, is for you to simply back off and stop the incessant battling. It isn't helpful to those OPs you are trying to help, it pollutes threads and it achieves nothing but makes this forum an unpleasant place for noobs. How many have been frightened off by those battles?

It isn't healthy but simply put you enjoy it, that's why you do it.
    Ok. I'm going to make this very simple. If someone says something I feel is untrue, disingenuous or misleading, I will challenge it. If your response to my challenge is to bite then I will bite back. Don't expect me to do the mature thing and turn the other cheek, that is never going to happen.

I'm always willing to have a civil discussion but if you get all up in your feelings like SDA did and want to take it to the next level with insults and whatnot, I will go there with you. I don't apologize for it, I don't care if it's immature. I am who I am. I will always tell you my mind and if you want to have a reasonable discussion around it, I'm good with that but if you want to take it to the dirt, I'm good with that too.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    As to whether .Net or 6 has better libraries, I find that highly debateable. Personally I much prefer .net as it's all neatly supplied in the framework which gives easy access and consistency. The VB6 model is more like the c#/java/various web frameworks where you can seek out a bunch of different libraries provided by different suppliers and weave them all together, that tends to offer more choice and flexibility. Either approach has it's merits but I prefer the former.
    This is a false dichotomy. You seem to be implying that C# or .Net programmers don't also have a rich set of 3rd party libraries as well. VB6 programmers have a bunch of 3rd party options but we do as well in the .Net world in addition to the standard framework so we have a lot more choices than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    @Niya, I removed the link. I appreciate that you kept the content off the site but you really shouldn't be linking to it either.

I would say exactly the opposite. Baka is arguing that he prefers that a developer to have to write (or at least dive into) the underlying complex code themselves on the basis that it proves they have an understanding. I feel that's gatekeeping. If a language can provide a library sufficient to make that understanding unnecessary then that's a good thing. It doesn't remove the need to have coders out there who have the deeper understanding required to write those libraries but why would you exclude developers who are good enough to simply use a library?

well I understood baka diffrently, you should be able to write a class yourself !! that's what a Programmer should be able todo
    and not only depend on a Lib. that somebode else wrote, or hope that in that Lib. there is that Function that I need.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    well I understood baka diffrently, you should be able to write a class yourself !! that's what a Programmer should be able todo
    and not only depend on a Lib. that somebode else wrote, or hope that in that Lib. there is that Function that I need.
    Where do you draw the line? Because if we take this idea as is, then we'd all end up writing operating systems just so we don't depend on code others have written.

Where do you draw the line? Because if we take this idea as is, then we'd all end up writing operating systems.
    Yes! Let's do that! That sounds great. Home grown operating systems are the best. Let us see one written in VB6 where no Win APIs are used ( of course) and the runtime is the bootloader...

I'm not 100% serious in that suggestion.

Niya on a personal aside, if you could just keep it a little more mature and less confrontational in future, you would be doing this place a favour and probably teaching yourself a life skill. It would also help us all here too. I know you do try on occasion, you just need to turn that control down from 11. Not everyone's control goes to 11. Mine stops at 5.

PS. I am learning as much as I can about typically used Win API functions as I do eventually intend to use some of these skills writing user mode applications for ReactOS in C++, from then I intend to dip into C to see what minor bugs I can tackle... So, yes, I am attempting to write an o/s (if only in part) using my skills.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Dec 7th, 2021 at 07:40 AM.

Where do you draw the line? Because if we take this idea as is, then we'd all end up writing operating systems just so we don't depend on code others have written.
    the comparison is silly, I have no interest or skill to write a operating system.
    the Customer say's what he want's = can you do that customer request ?
    can the Lib. of yours do it ?
    does that Lib. have that function I need?

so you as a Programmer have to draw that Line. yes I can do it or ok I'll have to find a Lib. that can do it or I have to pass

so I would pass if you wanted a operating system from me

the comparison is silly, I have no interest or skill to write a operating system.
    the Customer say's what he want's = can you do that customer request ?
    can the Lib. of yours do it ?
    does that Lib. have that function I need?

so you as a Programmer have to draw that Line. yes I can do it or ok I'll have to find a Lib. that can do it or I have to pass

so I would pass if you wanted a operating system from me
    Depends on what that Line has to do. Does it simple need to exist? Ie, is it just a graphical element on the screen? If yes, then I'm going to just write it myself, sure. That's the way it should be. But if it has to do more than that, like respond to clicks, drag-n-drop, or resize a panel or something, I'm going to probably look to see if someone else has figured it out and there's already a component/library out there to use. I'd rather spend my time on actual workings of the app than the (what I'd call) trivial things of nature.
    It's what I'm seeing now with a project I'm working on. It's a React web app that has a grid that does about 60% of what we need it to do. We're only using it because it's the currently offered standard grid from the collection we're supposed to be using. But we're missing that 40% of functionality. So we can either spend out time implementing that functionality, maybe get it right, more likely get it wrong, or we can spend one day and research another grid that does give us all of the functionality we DO need. Turns out, there is one. Luckily another project is using it and it's approved for use (why they can't just fold it into the standard library then I don't know but that's above my pay grade). So now instead wasting two weeks implementing functionality from scratch, we spend one day research, two days swapping the component out, one day in QA. BAM! Eric's your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate.

For the record - I'm going to take this approach no matter the platform or the language. If I can do it quickly and easily, I'm going to roll it myself. If it's going to take some effort, I might look around to see if there's something light to use. If it's going to take significant effort, then I'm going to make time to look for a previous trail blazer and make it as easy on myself as I can.

Another example of where I could do something myself, or let a library do the work for me: Since I now work primarily in Java, I deal with a lot of POJO (plain ordinary Java objects) ... and moving data from one type to another. So we have a lot of mappers that transform database objects into internal objects and into external ones. Now we could spend our time creating specific methods that take in X and create Y, copy the properties over one by one and return it... Or... we use a library Mapstruct, and create a Static Class... with a method "from" (that's our standard naming convention) that takes X as a parameter, andd returns Y. Then add a couple of @ Annotations to the class and one to the method. And done. All told, maybe about 6-10 lines of code. Now from inside my code I can instantly use Y myYObj = Mapper.from(myXObj); ... and it works. It generates the interface and necessary code that is needed to do conversions. So much easier than rolling it myself. Especially if these objects change over time. Properties get added/dropped... the annotation processing keeps it up to date for me. And no, it's not a complete black box to me, I do have some understanding how it works, because there are times when simple Y.prop = X.prop isn't going to work. So there are ways to manipulate the transformations and inject code, or using other annotations, map properties from one value to another (handy when dealing with enums) or one property to a completely different one (I've got some where Y.prop = X.prop.prop.prop isn't unusual).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'm trying to point out that this argument is flawed because where the line is drawn is completely subjective. Baka's comment point to this idea that it is more noble to write everything yourself rather than become dependent on libraries but the truth of it is, even when you write VB6 code, you're still standing on top of a mountain of code you didn't write in the form of the operating system. Therefore if someone cites the reason they prefer VB6 is because they like how much more involved it is to get things done then I submit to you than you can easily do that in other ways that don't have to involve VB6. The ultimate expression of this independence is writing your own operating system. There is also C++ and assembly language programming that can give you this feeling of "I'm doing it myself" to a far greater degree and will elicit a deeper level of satisfaction with your capabilities. This is a poor argument for favoring VB6 over something more modern.

Most of us don't have the luxury of being somewhere else where you can do things much better in that 'foreign' way.

I am stuck in VB6 because that is simply where I am, it will take me a long time to migrate anywhere else and in that time spent migrating my knowledge to another language/framework I could have done an enormous load more real work in VB6... and there is still so much to learn in VB6 - and the more I learn the more powerful I find it is. It is an amazing tool.

I have another foot in javascript and I am competent enough there - despite it being so powerful and teaching me so much, the combination of all that VB6 has to offer, the IDE, language, the wealth of resource et. al. makes it a wonderful place to be. Despite the water being even warmer in that waterfall over there, this waterfall is my waterfall.

Even despite VB6's limitations it is still really good, and moreover, it is fun. Especially when you combine it with something else you have to offer, in my case it is my designs.

Javascript is always there for me but I have still not found that magical combination of fluid IDE, designer, debugger, interpreter, compile, run, break and continue that VB6 has. That RADness cannot be beaten and in any argument VB6's RAD nature will win that particular battle.
    It is the magical combination of it all that makes it so good even today.

It doesn't have to be the best, it just has to be very good.

VB6 = Sherman tank, good enough to win a war.
    VB.NET = Tiger II, lots of undoubted engineering but I wouldn't want to find myself in one vs. the Yanks.

Most of us don't have the luxury of being somewhere else where you can do things much better in that 'foreign' way.

I am stuck in VB6 because that is simply where I am, it will take me a long time to migrate anywhere else and in that time spent migrating my knowledge to another language/framework I could have done an enormous load more real work in VB6... and there is still so much to learn in VB6 - and the more I learn the more powerful I find it is. It is an amazing tool.
    If we just confine this to .Net for a moment, I'll say that one of the things I have never done is stress on just how easy VB.Net is to pick up if you come from VB6 or VBA. Like I don't think most of you have any idea how extremely easy it is. I'm not joking when I say this but you can very casually learn how to do 80% of the stuff you can in VB6 in VB.Net inside of 2 weeks. This was the most surprising thing I discovered when I first moved from VB6 to VB.Net.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast