Thread: Has anyone ever cloned an HHD to a SSD?

Has anyone ever cloned an HHD to a SSD?

I have this old PC I'm upgrading. I've upgraded it to 16GB of ram months ago, but has anyone ever cloned an HHD (OS, third party apps, personal files) to an SSD? I know I could buy a new PC, but this system has alot of legacy software I need.

What software do you recommend for cloning?

On other forums they recommend on creating a back-up before cloning like what you do before migrating (not what I'm doing). Do I have to create a back-up? Why if I'm just cloning?
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 5th, 2021 at 11:49 AM.

Re: Has anyone ever cloned an HHD to a SSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    I have this old PC I'm upgrading. I've upgraded it to 16GB of ram months ago, but has anyone ever cloned an HHD (OS, third party apps, personal files) to an SSD? I know I could buy a new PC, but this system has alot of legacy software I need.

What software do you recommend for cloning?

On other forums they recommend on creating a back-up before cloning like what you do before migrating (not what I want to do). Do I have to create a back-up? Why if I'm just cloning?
    I have done it a couple of times without any problems, some SSD drives even come with software to clone disks, if not then Clonezilla is a pretty decent free tool. If you are cloning a disk to a new disk then I would say your old disk is the backup anyway...

For HDD cloning look into Macrium Reflect. This software is pretty good.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I have done it a couple of times without any problems, some SSD drives even come with software to clone disks, if not then Clonezilla is a pretty decent free tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    For HDD cloning look into Macrium Reflect. This software is pretty good.
    Thanks, Plaus, Niya! I look into both of these apps, but it's now for upgrading my daughter's old laptop, which she gave to me after buying herself a new one.

I'm leaving my desktop the way it is, but with the new SSD added for certain files, and apps for speedier start-up. My OS will remain on the HHD.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    On other forums they recommend on creating a back-up before cloning like what you do before migrating (not what I'm doing). Do I have to create a back-up? Why if I'm just cloning?
    If you are cloning a disk to a new disk then I would say your old disk is the backup anyway...
    I thought it was screwy in creating a back-up of a HHD if I'm just cloning it. Maybe these people on the other forums love wasting time. Anyway, the new SSD is installed, and damn it's fast!

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Macrium Reflect is what I would suggest too, Clonezilla often can't be trusted to do the job.

Done this many times. Purchasing a full copy of the final tool you choose is really a good idea. They all tend to have limited usage copies and you will need the full thing one day.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Macrium Reflect is what I would suggest too, Clonezilla often can't be trusted to do the job.

Done this many times. Purchasing a full copy of the final tool you choose is really a good idea. They all tend to have limited usage copies and you will need the full thing one day.
    I'll download Reflect this week, and maybe try Clonezilla, just as soon as I have another SSD for my laptop.

The speed I'm getting from the SSD is amazing, but it hasn't solved a problem which prompted me to buy one for my desktop. Turns out a video I recorded is corrupted, and not just slow loading from my system's HHD. Well, I always wanted fast storage!

Next up, add a used but better gpu via a hack, after I figure out where to store it and keep it cool externally on my tiny desk!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 5th, 2021 at 02:22 PM.

On my new SSD, I didn't have the right size screws to secure it to my system, so it's just hanging between my system's HHD and it's mess of cables, which wasn't easy to install with the little space I had to work with.

Have any of you all ever owned a mini tower?
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 5th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.

Frenzied Member

All my PCs are old. They are desktops, and they die quite often.
    I use the SDW (Seagate Disk Wizard) which is FREE, provided it can see a seagate drive somewhere.
    I save my images into External Seagate 3.5" drives (the SDW seeing them should be sufficient)
    The SDW is Acronis, which has been trimmed a bit by Seagate.
    I used the option to make a bootable CD/DVD, as I do not like Windows to be running when creating an image.
    Technically this is not cloning, but it has the same result.
    My hard drives die often, due to current/voltage spikes when my fridge starts/stops.
    I can restore an image into the same PC, when putting in a new drive. (tick the box to replace the disk signature)
    I can restore an image into an entirely different desktop, provided the OS was XP. The trick is to do a Repair Install, when first booting up the replacement desktop.
    Regarding SSD, I just purchased a 2nd hand desktop, which uses a SSD.
    I have never had a SSD before.
    It was selling for 100 AU, and then was reduced to 50 AU, so I quickly purchased.
    The video (monitor) connections are a bit iffy, but I seem to have found one (HDMI) that consistently works.
    I was very surprised when I noticed the drive was a SSD.
    I installed W8.1 Pro (32 bit), which I reckon is the least irritating out of 8, 10, 11. Provided you use Classic Shell Start Menu.
    I used SDW to create an image, and I Validated it, then I restored it. Worked a charm.

It occurs to me that a SSD will be much more immune to my fridge's current/voltage spikes. (no spinning platters, with tiny wee heads dropping on to the surface).
    If I come into some extra money, I will purchase one, and place it into the (HDD) desktop I use 95% of the time (XP Pro 32 bit SP3)
    If you'all start a go fund me page, so I can purchase a SSD, I will put it into the XP desktop, and try restoring my HDD image into the SSD
    Last edited by Bobbles; Dec 5th, 2021 at 10:16 PM.

cloned an HHD (OS, third party apps, personal files) to an SSD?
    Yes - several times for friends. I just used Windows Backup and Restore program and generated a system image to an external USB drive. Changed the disks. Then used Windows System Repair Disk to restore the image from the USB drive to the new disk. Has always worked OK for me with no problems.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I find it hard to believe that Peter Porter, a man with capability would struggle to mount a SSD.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324121812560

Similar caddies exist for all form factors.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    All my PCs are old. They are desktops, and they die quite often.
    I think your drives die quite often as they are Seagate. I used to swear by them but at some point the dreaded cost-cutting came into play and their drives became unreliable across the board. I used to work at Sun for their fault tolerance division and I know what MTBF means having tested all sorts of mfr's drives to destruction.

Seagate is no longer my choice for spinning drives.

Regardless of drive choice why don't you buy a secondary PSU and battery backup? They smooth the power and are invaluable on power outages. Cheap these days too for basic models.

If you'all start a go fund me page, so I can purchase a SSD, I will put it into the XP desktop, and try restoring my HDD image into the SSD
    With regard to that suggestion a 64gb SSD might do it and they are very cheap.

I had my first SSD bought for me by a stranger. I had lots of software available for download for free with a donation button. Seldom pressed, one day a nice chap so impressed with what I had delivered as FOSS, looked at my Amazon wishlist and bought me my first SSD. Installed onto an old Dell E5400, it transformed it. All my systems now have a SSD as the boot drive and secondary spinning discs (mostly ex-Dell WDs) to store the data.

My suggestion, write some software useful to everyone, if I can use it and find it useful too, I'll make a contribution.

My preferred ssd drives are from Crucial. They also offer a compatibility checker. Just enter make/model and it'll show all compatible drives.
    https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Yes - several times for friends. I just used Windows Backup and Restore program and generated a system image to an external USB drive. Changed the disks. Then used Windows System Repair Disk to restore the image from the USB drive to the new disk. Has always worked OK for me with no problems.
    That's exactly what I did, with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Peter Porter, a man with capability would struggle to mount a SSD.
    Hey, it's installed!

Dangling, but it works!

None of the caddies I've seen at my local shop and online would fit in my PC. Just sucks the producer of my SSD didn't take into account that older PC's screws are too wide, and provided a set. I could've then mounted one of it's edges in the middle of my case.

Thanks, JD! I only need a couple of screws, but the rest of that pack might come in handy in the future.

On my new SSD, I didn't have the right size screws to secure it to my system, so it's just hanging between my system's HHD and it's mess of cables, which wasn't easy to install with the little space I had to work with.

I have three drives in my pc, both the SSDs are just sort of resting on the bottom of the case because I forgot to buy a caddy for either. The only drive properly installed is a NVMe drive, simply because you can't really install them any way other than the correct way

What capacity NVMe do you have PD?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN5...07YFFX5MD?th=1 picked one of the 1Tb drives up on sale a while ago, manages about 2.6Gbs sequential read and 2Gbs sequential write performance. More than satisfied with the performance for the price.

Wow I need to get me one of those. I didn't realize there were already 1TB NVMe drives.

Wow I need to get me one of those. I didn't realize there were already 1TB NVMe drives.
    I couldn't justify the cost of the 2Tb version, I never expected I would have two "old" 500Gb SSDs as my "slow" storage devices

I see I see.

Tell me, how long have you been using NVMe drives? Do you find them reliable? I'm use to my HDDs lasting up to 10 years.

This is the first one I have used, only had it a couple of months so no idea about longevity... The two SSDs I have had for a few years and both are still working fine.

Ah ok I see. My go-to HDD is the Seagate Barracuda. I've been using only these drives for the last 20 years. I stand by them, they are very reliable drives. However, it's 2021 and I think it's time I start thinking about leaving mechanical drives behind and really commit to modern solid state drives but I will not do so if I have to sacrifice reliability. Reliability is my #1 requirement of any HDD I call my main drive.

Frenzied Member

I purchased a Crucial 250gb Sata SSD
    Before placing it into my Desktop, I imaged the XP Pro 32bit into my external 3.5" drive.
    I verified the image, and restored it into the internal HDD (I have been doing that letely).
    I did not boot into the HDD. I removed it and put it into a safe place.
    I put in the Crucial.
    I tried to restore the SDW image into the Crucial, but SDW (Seagate Disk Wizard) told me to go out and purchase Acronis. Apparently my earlier advice, in my first post here, was incorrect. It ain't free unless the internal drive is Seagate.
    I have a bootable Acronis DVD (newer version that I don't like much). I used that to format the SSD, and also used it to restore the SDW image into the SSD.
    I just booted into it, and so far so good.
    I notice it is quicker responding.

I am a novice with SSD, and a quick perusal of the Crucial SSD support web pages, did not do much to educate me. They only had a utility (for ???) for 64bit PCs (I am 32 bit).
    A quick Google warned me that XP won't easily allow TRIM.
    If anyone can point me to tips that will help (on anything), that would be nice.
    Or perhaps even tell me - "Don't worry about it Rob, you'll be right".

If anyone can point me to tips that will help (on anything), that would be nice.
    Or perhaps even tell me - "Don't worry about it Rob, you'll be right".
    Don't worry about it Bob, you'll be alright.

I'm use to my HDDs lasting up to 10 years.
    My Fujitsu Siemens external 2TB Storagebird HDD is almost 14 years old, and still works like new!

I never had an HDD fail on me, and only been hearing about failures from tech site articles pushing SSDs.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

Frenzied Member

My Fujitsu Siemens external 2TB Storagebird HDD is almost 14 years old, and still works like new!

I never had an HDD fail on me, and only been hearing about failures from tech site articles pushing SSDs.

Maybe I'm just lucky!
    I have 5 external Seagate 3.5" drives, and they have never failed. And they have all been running in my house with the voltage/current spikes. I suspect that they have a tiny 'UPS effect' built into them which protects their drive from the spikes. I note that the light on the 'plug' does not turn off until a second or two after the mains supply is turned off. Also with the plethora of 2nd hand PCs I have had over the years, some seemed less prone to the dreaded fridge (some desktop power supplies perhaps may be a bit more protective ?)
    Rob
    PS I had developed a routine (to keep the XP desktop surviving) of always setting the pc to 'fix file system errors'. I then turn it off, and next morning when I switch it on, it takes 20'ish minutes to boot windows. I time how long it takes, and when it exceeds 22 minutes, I do the 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. I then create an image, validate it, and restore it. That keeps me going for another week.
    Last night I set it to do the 20 minutes scan this morning. the scan took less than 16 minutes. Perhaps even quicker. I will time it better tomorrow. I also might miss the sound of grinding coffee it used to make.

PS I had developed a routine (to keep the XP desktop surviving) of always setting the pc to 'fix file system errors'. I then turn it off, and next morning when I switch it on, it takes 20'ish minutes to boot windows. I time how long it takes, and when it exceeds 22 minutes, I do the 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. I then create an image, validate it, and restore it. That keeps me going for another week.
    Last night I set it to do the 20 minutes scan this morning. the scan took less than 16 minutes. Perhaps even quicker. I will time it better tomorrow. I also might miss the sound of grinding coffee it used to make.
    I still have an XP system in my basement. I messed it up around 2012 while trying to install a new graphics card which should've worked with it's power supply. I could've fixed it, but I used it as an excuse to buy a new PC. Hell, I moved up to XP in 2004 after I missed-up my old Windows 98 machine with a new graphics card, when I didn't know anything about upgrading the power supply!

I'm gonna leave my Windows 7 machine as is. The graphics card hack I mentioned in another post will probably kill this system to!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 10th, 2021 at 06:53 PM.