Thread: Build Time

Build Time

Hey everyone;

I have VS2008 and I use it for work. It was installed on an old server (MS2003), and it ran slow 5-7 minutes for a build. That server is dying, so I moved my installation over to a newer server running Micros0ft Server 2012 R2 with 32GB of RAM, etc., etc. and when I copied my project over it now takes 30+ minutes to go thru a build. I have been on the boards and have tried a number of different things and nothing has worked. Anyone know a fix for this? Someone suggested to disable "Platform Verification Task" in the DotNet Framework, which I did, and nothing changed (assuming I did it right). I tried about 5 different things that were suggested and so far, nothing has worked.

Anyone have any clue what the problem is here.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Yaddlethorpe, North Lincolnshire, England.

Re: Build Time

Hi tflerew325,

The first question I'd ask is why are you still trying to install VS2008 when the current VS2019 will update your 2008 code automatically.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

LOL - because for my purposes I don't need all of the "bells and whistles" of VS2019. I did download a free trial 6 months ago to see what was new/different and most of what I saw was not necessary for me. I work for a manufacturing company and I designed the ERP System in VS2008 and it functions fine. I don't need anything for APP Development, Python, Azure, etc., VS2008 has everything I need.

You don't have to install any workload you don't need in Visual Studio 2019. You can choose only what you want.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

How big is the project that is taking so long to build? Regardless of VS, I've never seen a build time coming anywhere remotely close to what you are suggesting. I've also never run VS on a server, though I wouldn't expect that to have an impact unless the server was simultaneously doing a whole bunch of other stuff.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Oh, it is big...

The ERP Software that I created runs all aspects of a $100 Million/year company - Inventory Management, Sales, Purchasing, Accounting, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Shipping, Receiving, etc., etc. It has 786 Forms and 406 Crystal Reports. The project size is 1.16GB.

When this program was installed on our old server (Windows Server 2003), it takes about 3-4 minutes to go thru a build.
    This old server is 15 years old and getting ready to die (I have hard drives lights blinking and disk space is less than 20GB).
    So I re-installed the software on one of our newer servers (Windows 2012R2) that has 32GB RAM and plenty of disk space.
    Everything seems okay until you try to run the debugger or just do a build.
    Last one I did took 42 minutes.
    Why is it 3-4 minutes on Windows Server 2003 and 42 minutes on Windows 2012R2???
    This server that I re-installed VS2008 on is doing nothing else but was to be used as a programing server. It has no other function.
    I have a virtual environment with 12 virtual servers and 5 physical hosts (plus the physical host that is dying).

Todd

Yes, I am aware of that but if I don't need anything additional, then why would I buy it?

you could try with VB 2010 express which is much lighter
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

What is the use case for building on a server rather than a local box? And if this can't be changed consider Azure continuous integration which when done in house setup properly would be an option that should never take 40 some minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kareninstructor View Post
    What is the use case for building on a server rather than a local box? And if this can't be changed consider Azure continuous integration which when done in house setup properly would be an option that should never take 40 some minutes.
    One reason is the server has 32GB of RAM, where my machine only has 8GB.
    Second, the project is centrally located because two other people also access the project.

Either way, it doesn't make sense why it is 4 minutes on an old server and 42 minutes on a newer one.

Server versions of Windows have more protections built into them. A simple test would be to run a test build on your 8GB RAM workstation. See what the build time is.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Server versions of Windows have more protections built into them. A simple test would be to run a test build on your 8GB RAM workstation. See what the build time is.
    I did do this yesterday - I stopped it (Ended task in task manager) at 23 minutes.
    It wasn't completed when I stopped it, it was stuck (CPU, MEMORY was at 100% used).
    So I don't think it's a server issue - it works good on one, bad on another, and bad on a PC.

Yaddlethorpe, North Lincolnshire, England.

Would your 'old' server accept a new hard drive ? 1TB hard drives don't cost a fortune.
    Maybe consider a solid state drive to enhance speed.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Mintin View Post
    Would your 'old' server accept a new hard drive ? 1TB hard drives don't cost a fortune.
    Maybe consider a solid state drive to enhance speed.

Poppa
    I am not just worried about the hard drives on the old server.
    It is 15 years old, running Windows Server 2003.
    How long is the CPU, motherboard, etc., going to last?
    What's the purpose of buying new servers in the first place?
    I still don't see why it runs okay on an old server but not on a newer one?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tflerew325 View Post
    One reason is the server has 32GB of RAM, where my machine only has 8GB.
    Second, the project is centrally located because two other people also access the project.

Either way, it doesn't make sense why it is 4 minutes on an old server and 42 minutes on a newer one.
    Are you saying the source code is only on this server, and not in a source code repository such as SVN?

Is it possible one of those two other people are also building and/or running on the server when you're trying to build?

Quote Originally Posted by HardCode.NET View Post
    Are you saying the source code is only on this server, and not in a source code repository such as SVN?

Is it possible one of those two other people are also building and/or running on the server when you're trying to build?
    Hey!

No, they are not running/doing a build at the same time as me. Their offices are right next to mine, and I know exactly what they are doing in my software at all times.
    Normally, there would only be two of us in at the same time (no terminal services on that server), so only two people can log into it simultaneously.

Yes, the code (project) is only on that server.
    I don't know what a "Source Code Repository" is and have no idea what SVN is?

I have VS2008 installed on the old server.
    My project that I work on, update, change, and then eventually publish to the live software running on all of our computers, is located in My Documents\VS2008\Projects.
    The other people who also work on the software have their own projects, where they make changes, updates, etc. but they never publish.
    They take the changed forms, copy them over to a shared folder that we all access.
    I take all of the forms into my project, and publish from there.
    I know this is kind of antiquated, but it works, and we have been doing this for 11 years now.

Todd

One other test method that you could try would be to make a VM of the original server, put that on the new server and then try your build in the VM to see how long it takes there.

As you have probably figured out, the bottom line is essentially that there is no clear reason why it should take so much longer on the new server.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    As you have probably figured out, the bottom line is essentially that there is no clear reason why it should take so much longer on the new server.
    LOL - yes, I am beginning to realize this. I thank everyone for their suggestions but nothing, so far, has made any difference.
    I don't know if purchasing VS2019 will make a difference or not, but that's what I may have to do.
    Does anyone know if you can install VS2019 on Windows Server 2012R2?
    I know most software won't let you if you are running terminal services, which I am not on this server.

Thanks.
    Todd