Thread: Help. Can't reset ComboBox to default text.

Question Help. Can't reset ComboBox to default text.

I have a combo box on my form. The default text is "Select Type"

One of my options is not yet supported, so I display a MsgBox and then try to reset the Combo back its default, but nothing I try works.
    Code:
    Private Sub cbxType_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles cbxType.SelectedIndexChanged        
            If cbxType.SelectedIndex = 0 Then
                MsgBox("Type is not yet supported.", MsgBoxStyle.Information + vbOKOnly)
                cbxType.ResetText()
                Exit Sub
            End If
    All this does is simply highlight the unwanted selection.

I've also tried: cbxType.SelectedIndex = -1 and cbxType.SelectedText = "Select Type", but all they do is erase the combo box text, leaving it blank. ".ResetText()", ".SelectedItem = -1" & ".Refresh" all simply highlight the unwanted selection.

What am I doing wrong? My guess is it's some sort of "recursive" issue, but I don't know where else to put the code. TIA

Re: Help. Can't reset ComboBox to default text.

Is the DropDownStyle set to DropDown or DropDownList?

Thx for the reply.

The style is set to "DropDown" with displayed default text.

Do you want the user to be able enter arbitrary text or do you just want them to be able to select from the drop-down list? If the latter, you probably ought to set the DropDownStyle to DropDownList. Do you really need "Select Type" displayed? I see a lot of people do this sort of thing but it seems like a "because I can" sort of thing. Do you place instructions in a TextBox to "Enter Type" or the like? Very few people do. If the user can work out how to use a TextBox, do you really think they need instructions on how to use a ComboBox?

Thx for the reply.

I have a label beside the ComboBox, but a blank box with no text is not intuitive. It should at the very least show the first option. I don't need the user to be able to edit the text (only display the valid options in a drop-down.)

A setting of "DropDownList" does not display any default text, and "Simple" appears to be no different than a textbox (no dropdown.)

I don't understand why changing the ".Text" property in code doesn't change/display the default text.