Thread: VB6 IDE under Windows 11 - Serial Comm no workie

Lively Member

VB6 IDE under Windows 11 - Serial Comm no workie

So I've been playing with Win11 and managed to get the VB6 IDE installed and, over all, it works.

But I've noticed that serial comms no longer work. No errors, they just simply don't output anything (nor receive anything as far as I can tell). If I run my program that was compiled under the IDE and Win10, serial comm works just fine under Win11.

I'm hoping there are some new libraries available?

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 IDE under Windows 11 - Serial Comm no workie

Serial I/O has nothing to do with firewalls or routable networks unless you have layered software on top of it. And even then it would only apply to those added software layers. For example the old Windows Direct Cable Connect was able to support TCP/IP over COMn: port hardware, as well as drivers for PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol) and other Layer 2 transport protocols. All of that is extremely rare today.

The first thing I would try is to run one of those "working" compiled programs elevated and see if it exhibits the undesired behavior.

I'd guess there are errors or exceptions but they are being ignored by the code as written.

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 IDE under Windows 11 - Serial Comm no workie

If the problem is with "recompiled" serial I/O programs... that's even weirder.

All I can think of is that VB6 was not installed properly, and now the elevated IDE runs "see" and reference an old broken version of the OCX. If SP6 was installed maybe it was installed incorrectly and its updated OCXs are only visible to a Standard User run using the account that SP6 was "installed" under.

Ever since Vista people seem unaware of the rules and just start bashing with a hammer until VB6 "seems to" be working.

I don't have a Windows 11 machine to try but I doubt there is anything new about installing VB6 there.