Thread: Where are menu items stored?

Lively Member

Where are menu items stored?

Apparently, when you create a menu (using the Menu Editor), it does not store the information in the .frm file you created it in. So what file is the menu data stored?

Re: Where are menu items stored?

Code:

VERSION 5.00
    Begin VB.Form Form1
       Caption         =   "Form1"
       ClientHeight    =   10290
       ClientLeft      =   3435
       ClientTop       =   3900
       ClientWidth     =   6585
       LinkTopic       =   "Form1"
       ScaleHeight     =   10290
       ScaleWidth      =   6585
       Begin VB.Menu test
          Caption         =   "test"
       End
    End
    Attribute VB_Name = "Form1"
    Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False
    Attribute VB_Creatable = False
    Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = True
    Attribute VB_Exposed = False
    Option Explicit

' Code section.

It's in the FRM.

Edit your FRM file with Notepad, and you'll see it.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

That was the first place I looked but didn't find it. I specifically searched for menu names (i.e. mnuFile) but they're not there

The only thing I can think of is that, however you searched, you searched for some brand of Unicode, and you didn't search for ANSI (single byte) characters. All FRM files are saved as ANSI.

Beyond that, Ken, it's there.

p.s. Another thought ... did you save before you opened the file with whatever editor you used to look in it? Also, you can't find these with the VB6 IDE's search feature.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Sorry, my bad.
    I'm playing with Win11 and managed to get VB6 installed but for some reason, it butchered some files, including removing a mnu entry from one of my MIDI forms. Sorry for my screwup.

On a side note, it appears if a VB6 app that was compiled under Win10 is run under Win11, everything appears to work OK. HOWEVER, if you compile that same app under Win11, serial comm doesn't work......maybe I should start a dedicated thread about this?

Quote Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
    HOWEVER, if you compile that same app under Win11, serial comm doesn't work......maybe I should start a dedicated thread about this?
    Yes. It's a different problem so it needs a different thread.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber