Thread: [RESOLVED] IDE Question

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] IDE Question

Still using VB5 don't know if this affects VB6.
    Curious if anyone else has noticed this.

==============
    I notice when I set breakpoints or stops in code, and then Run the App several times, making changes in between, that at some point things stop working and in this Apps case I get a Error stating "Constant Expression Required", and pointing to a declared Constant. After this occurs I have to bring down VB, reload the App and everything works OK again till the next series of multiple breakpoint stops.

PowerPoster

Re: IDE Question

Can't say I have ever saw that in VB6 or 5 for that matter though I have used 6 a lot longer than I used 5.

It's probably just a bug in the IDE, debugger or p-code VM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Through the years, Microsoft fixed most of that stuff. I remember a bug where you could crash the IDE with simple repeated searches of your code.

Personally, vb6forever, I'd recommend moving to the VB6 (SP6) IDE. AFAIK, it's all perfectly backward compatible.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Fanatic Member

Thanks ALL for responding.
    Elroy if I could find a copy of VB6 cheap I'd get it.

If in US -- Happy Thanksgiving.
    In typing this just realized today is an especially Thankful day as today is my five year mark from my last treatment for Choroidal Melanoma with a 28% chance of making it five years. Docs did a good job! Just wish they could have saved the sight in my left eye.
    Last edited by vb6forever; Nov 24th, 2021 at 08:48 PM.

Hmmm, I guess I'm not in the habit of setting "lots" of breakpoints. Even in a large project, I'll typically only set three or four at the most. Typically, I just laboriously trace through the code to find a bug, or maybe move the breakpoint further in, deleting the previous one.

I almost never use the Stop statement. I might one a single one (rather than a breakpoint), just to stop the code at a certain spot. I guess we all have our own styles of debugging.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post

In typing this just realized today is an especially Thankful day as today is my five year mark from my last treatment for Choroidal Melanoma with a 28% chance of making it five years. Docs did a good job! Just wish they could have saved the sight in my left eye.
    That's good news. Keep on beating the odds.

And don't worry about the eye, you've got a spare.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by The trick View Post
    Yes, I also have this bug sometimes. It's quite annoying because it requires reload IDE and all the breakpoints are lost
    It usually helps in my projects to comment the const expression or a public enum somewhere in a standard module so that the IDE re-compiles bigger part of the project.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by vb6forever View Post

Congrats and many happy returns

Fanatic Member

Thanks All for responses.
    Trick thanks for confirming.

Forget to mention I created a global variable called gblntest.
    When I start to get deep in debugging, and figure things may crap out,
    I go to each breakpoint and put in above each line:

'gblntest '<<commented
    or
    If gblntest then Stop.

That way easy way to relocate my breakpoints.

===================================

And don't worry about the eye, you've got a spare.
    Shaggy Hiker:
    Mother Nature was good to us in that way -- a backup for a number of key things.
    Last edited by vb6forever; Nov 25th, 2021 at 09:04 AM.

The Idiot

Re: [RESOLVED] IDE Question

u could get the vb6 learning edition and see if you like it. u can compile p-code at least. PM me if u want to try it.
    Last edited by baka; Nov 25th, 2021 at 06:02 AM.

There always seem to be copies for sale on eBay. I've bought 3 or 4 there and never had a problem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15436013588...QAAOSwrndgQrsK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17499589876...cAAOSwym1heKx4

They seem to always be going for the $250 to $300 range.

Just be sure you're getting VB6, and not the Learning Edition and not the Upgrade. Visual Studio 6 or Visual Basic 6, either will be fine. Actually, the more I think about it, for you vb6forever, the Upgrade may be fine if you've still got your VB5 disks (or CDs). But, with the Learning Edition, you can't compile to a bytecode executable. Visual Studio just has some extra stuff that you'll probably never use.

The "Academic" version is fine so long as it's not also the "Learning" edition. It's the same thing, just originally sold cheaper to academics.

It's sort of funny that the first link says the "Windows 10" version. That's just BS, as there's no Windows 10 version, as there's no Windows 8 version nor Windows 7 version, nor Windows Vista version. Not sure if there was a Windows XP version either. But again, it's all the same stuff that we're all using in these forums.

Once (if) you get it, be sure you grab and install the VB6 SP6. I believe it's still available for download from Microsoft. I'll check. Hmmm, it seems that Microsoft took down their link. If you can't find a copy, PM me and I'll give you a link to the SP6.
    Last edited by Elroy; Nov 25th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.

Fanatic Member

Elroy: I PM'd you back before seeing the above post.
    BTW I still have CD's for the original Visual Studio Suite which contains VB5.
    Thanks.