Thread: How do I switch kernel32.dll with my own replacement for it? 2.0

Frenzied Member

How do I switch kernel32.dll with my own replacement for it? 2.0

It seems I marked https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....acement-for-it as resolved a bit prematurely. While I DID find that registry path, I can't edit ANY of the entries in it at all. However there IS a registry value called ExcludeFromKnownDlls in the registry path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager". But there's a problem. I don't know how to use it properly. I tried adding "kernel32" and "kernel32.dll" to it, which should make it so that I can override the system's copy of kernel32.dll by putting the NT4 copy of kernel32.dll in the same folder as the EXE, but the problem is that this alternate version of kernel32.dll isn't loading. It STILL tries to load the current system copy of that dll. Do I need to reboot the computer after making this registry change, in order for the change to actually take effect? I don't want to necessarily reboot the PC after making a registry change, until after I've done the change, because if I make a mistake it could theoretically make the computer unbootable. Can anybody here explain how to actually use ExcludeFromKnownDlls properly? For example, do I need to include the file extension ".dll" or just the extensionless filename "kernel32"? Also, does it need to include the full path to the DLL, as there's 2 copies of kernel32.dll on a 64bit version of Windows (one in the system32 folder for 64bit programs, and one in the syswow64 folder for 32bit programs)?

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: How do I switch kernel32.dll with my own replacement for it? 2.0

It sounds as if these are questions are much more likely to be answered by those with operating system knowledge. However, trying to find the group to answer your question will be tricky. You want to shoe-horn a NT 4.0 DLL into a later NT6+ system. That covers quite a time range of knowledge.

I think you will have a hard time finding that mix of skills.

I suggest you identify the function in that DLL, what it does and find out when it was superceded or made obsolete. There may be a replacement. The ReactOS team might be able to help you with identifying the function but you might also need to reach out even deeper and find some NT4.0 experts. Some are still working with NT, the name BlackCat springs to mind, they might be able to help. Specifically, they back port later APIs and functionality back to NT 4.0, and would be better suited to help you.

Those that frequent this forum are likely to have knowledge of NT5+ APIs and their usage so I think you are asking the question to the wrong group. You may be lucky but we don't generally try to hack parts of one o/s into another.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.