Thread: Is it possible to convert an .exe file to 64-bit?

Lively Member

Question Is it possible to convert an .exe file to 64-bit?

hi

Is it possible to convert an .exe file to 64-bit?

Re: Is it possible to convert an .exe file to 64-bit?

No. We all wish.

EDIT: And what you really mean to ask is: Is it possible to convert a 32-bit program into a 64-bit program.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    No. We all wish.

EDIT: And what you really mean to ask is: Is it possible to convert a 32-bit program into a 64-bit program.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you...............

Follow-up question: IIRC, vb6.exe emitts c-code which is passed to c2.exe, which then creates the OBJ-Files and links everything together (correct me if i'm wrong)
    Is it possible to intercept THAT output?
    Would love to see how a vb6-programm looks as C-code
    One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

PowerPoster

The intermediate code passed to C2 looks more like p-code than it does C.

Yeah, the closest we've got to running VB6 code in a 64-bit environment is to stuff it all into the VBA (64-bit version), and run it from there. However, when doing that, we're stuck at the p-code level, as I know of no way to compile the VBA all the way to binary op-codes.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Frenzied Member

64bit VB6 code is coming!

In the past this comment would be taken with the same level of confidence as the following statement from the late 1980s: "Salmon are marsupials, fish live in trees and eat pencils - and political reform is coming to South Africa."

However, TwinBasic and RADBasic are both making great strides in this direction so the former might be coming true just as eventually political reform did come to South Africa.

P.S. This seemingly off topic fishy reference will escape most of you unless you are aware of its relevance to recent news.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Lively Member

hi
    thanks for all

Why do people always think converting a 32 bit Windows application to 64 bits is a trivial affair? I think the simplicity of just changing a few compiler switches in other compilers give people the wrong impression. Do you know how many things has to change for a 32 bit application to be successfully executed as a 64 bit process? For one, all pointers and handles must be changed to 64 bits. Another thing is the calling conventions at the machine code level must also change. 64 bit applications have completely different calling conventions. The stack must be set up differently, different registers are used etc. It's not trivial. The compiler itself is responsible for all of this. If you want VB6 applications to be 64 bit, you need a new VB6 compiler. There is no getting around this.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

vb6+32 = 64?
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    vb6+32 = 64?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Yes ??

Btw, TwinBasic just released early alpha of their x64 compiler (with a nag screen for the free tier).

Now I'll have to redo all my ASM thunks in x64 for the benefit of all VBA users that have been urging me all along to put in the effort.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Btw, TwinBasic just released early alpha of their x64 compiler (with a nag screen for the free tier).
    Yes, twinBASIC Preview 2 now has 64bit compiling.
    And an early version of Forms and custom controls.
    You can copy and paste much VB6 code, but VB6 forms aren't yet supported (due early next year).

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5544683