Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignoring moderators

Ignoring moderators

Is it possible to enable regular users to be able to ignore forum moderators? I don't understand the rationale for this feature being disabled provided that moderators or usualy prolific posters here.

It's pretty common that some of their threads/opinions/signatures/forum activity to wex the regular users out of their minds which are now in a position of not being able get rid of the spam.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Re: Ignoring moderators

Moderators and Admins sometimes need to deal with rule violations etc and communicate something about that in a thread... In order for that to work, we need everybody to see our post.

The forum software is designed so that users don't have the option to ignore moderators/admins. It could potentially have been designed instead so that moderators/admins had a way to force particular posts to be visible to everyone, but that would allow us to occasionally make a mistake (forget to tick the box or whatever) and that could mean that some people would end up getting in trouble for not following the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Is it possible to enable regular users to be able to ignore forum moderators? I don't understand the rationale for this feature being disabled provided that moderators or usualy prolific posters here.

It's pretty common that some of their threads/opinions/signatures/forum activity to wex the regular users out of their minds which are now in a position of not being able get rid of the spam.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Sounds like I missed some drama somewhere. I doubt this question just came out of nowhere
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Sounds like I missed some drama somewhere. I doubt this question just came out of nowhere
    Actually no. My reasons above are just hypothetiocal, yet! But don't ask me how I found out this forum "feature", please :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

How did you find out this forum "feature"?
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

I do my best to ignore the forum moderators especially saggy or is shaggy?

Most of what they have to say is ... alright. I suppose you have to have a modicum of restraint to be a mod. Imagine if either of our two resident VB6ers or .NETers were given the power? There'd be big holes all over the forum where the posts had been nuked and there would be two defensive outposts with weapons trained against the other.

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Moderator, Smoderator. Maybe just glorified hallway monitors, making sure you don't cut in line for the water fountain.

We've had Three Eyed Frog moderators before! Ones with way too many constanants in there names!

It's the admins one must fear.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    It's the admins one must fear.
    So true... The fact that there are TWELVE Admins should make some people sweat.

OK... that was my one funny remark for November.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    So true... The fact that there are TWELVE Admins should make some people sweat.

OK... that was my one funny remark for November.
    Lol!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Twelve good men and true.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Twelve good men and true.
    Not all of the admins are men....

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

or good...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

This is a weird thread.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Most of what they have to say is ... alright. I suppose you have to have a modicum of restraint to be a mod. Imagine if either of our two resident VB6ers or .NETers were given the power? There'd be big holes all over the forum where the posts had been nuked and there would be two defensive outposts with weapons trained against the other.
    Good idea for a movie. Wonder what a good title for it would be?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Modern US Political Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Modern US Political Debate?
    Hmmm....Doesn't sound like much of a movie title. Movie titles usually have double meanings or a meaning you have to watch it to figure out like "Dune" or "Avatar".

Duvatar.

PowerPoster

One can only imagine the hoot-fests that go on in the hidden forum where they laugh about the rest of us poor slobs.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    One can only imagine the hoot-fests that go on in the hidden forum where they laugh about the rest of us poor slobs.
    I hate to disappoint people so I won't

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    no need to imagine ... (I know, I know it is a controversial image )

Name:  12jures.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  36.4 KB
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Twelve good men and true...

Did you see the Russian remake of that movie? I rather liked it. The original assumed the sanitized, white-bread, view of America of the time frame. The Russian version....had a Russian view.

didn't know they have done one, it is usually the reverse, American remake of Russian movie (like Solaris). I will have a look to it.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Looking back at the original post, (and being a bit coy) the best way to ignore or avoid moderators is simply to not read posts on the forum. As an analogy, the best way to avoid traffic signs is to simply not drive or go anywhere.

While traffic signs might be annoying at times, it is important that they are there because they work to help everyone.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Could be regular users will be totally helpless in these forums without the comrade help by our chivalrous moderators but when I awoke from this dream the forum reassuringly chimed "brad jones has been successfully added to your ignore list" and the BS level was suddenly and substantially reduced :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    The fact that there are TWELVE Admins should make some people sweat.
    Wow... 12 Admins is indeed quite an amount of "manpower"...

Now, if "Admin" were understood as: "technician first, juryman only an occasional second..." -
    we might even enjoy a working image-upload...

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    I figured out how to get image uploads to work here. Maybe you know already, but for those who don't: There appears to be an off-by-one error in the image attachment code. When you upload an image it will insert something like [ATTACH]123[/ATTACH] in the post. You then have click "Go Advanced", and delete the [ATTACH]123[/ATTACH] text. Next, click the Attachments icon, drag the most recent image attachment down to the attachments section and click "Insert Inline". [ATTACH]124[/ATTACH] will be inserted and when you post the reply the image will appear. Yes, that's a lot of hoops to jump through
    Last edited by jpbro; Nov 21st, 2021 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbro View Post
    I figured out how to get image uploads to work here. Maybe you know already, but for those who don't: There appears to be an off-by-one error in the image attachment code. When you upload an image it will insert something like [ATTACH]123[/ATTACH] in the post. You then have click "Go Advanced", and delete the [ATTACH]123[/ATTACH] text. Next, click the Attachments icon, drag the most recent image attachment down to the attachments section and click "Insert Inline". [ATTACH]124[/ATTACH] will be inserted and when you post the reply the image will appear. Yes, that's a lot of hoops to jump through
    If you go straight to the Advanced option and upload from there - BOOM....you're all done.

I prefer KABOOM over BOOM.

I prefer shazam over kaboom.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

You are entitled to your opinion.

And I think that everyone that uses either word is sexy and should eat ice cream for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Now, if "Admin" were understood as: "technician first, juryman only an occasional second..." -
    Or not losing posts if we were logged out before posting a quick reply

I never, ever post anywhere without copying and paste-ing my comments into CintaNotes first. The number of times a forum or online 'app' has lost my long and hard thought-out comment into the ether... never again!

I never, ever post anywhere without copying and paste-ing my comments into CintaNotes first. The number of times a forum or online 'app' has lost my long and hard thought-out comment into the ether... never again!
    I use WordPad for this, especially when I'm writing really big posts with lots of illustrations and carefully thought out statements. My bigger CodeBank entries are examples of such posts.

Don't know what you're on about, and you clearly don't want to say it, but nothing much is going to happen as long as nobody understands you...or at least nothing you want.

I'm resigning my position as defender of the faith as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Don't know what you're on about, and you clearly don't want to say it, but nothing much is going to happen as long as nobody understands you...or at least nothing you want.
    I agree with you Shaggy. This seems like a roundabout way to say he is unhappy with the moderation on the forum. I'm not sure what is being implied by linking to a post on the resignation of moderators on another forum.

If someone has an actual issue with this forum, then they can always send Steve R Jones a message and discuss it with him. Roundabout, vague threads asking to block the people helping to keep the forum operational isn't going to lead to anything constructive.

Just my thought and not reflective of the forum, its owners, or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Now that is classic panties-in-a-bunch! We get it - they don't like the Rust core group, lol!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast