Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices - outside of US

Question Gas Prices - outside of US

Please don't LMGTFY me on this....

For those outside the United States - what have your gas / auto fuel prices done over the last 12 to 18 months? How much have they risen? I'm interested in countries other than the United States.

Thanks,

Brad!
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Gas Prices - outside of US

We have a fuel price cap so we've been shielded from the global price rises. But suppliers (including mine) started going bust so the government raised the cap at the beginning of October so prices have started jumping and seem likely to continue upwards.

Thankfully fuel costs aren't a big part of my budget so I haven't been too badly affected but I would not want to be on a marginal income right now.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

A related question for those outside the US..... If your prices have gone up do you blame the United States for the increase?

Of course, we blame the USA for everything ! it is a joke, Brad! In France, the tradition is to blame the government for everything. (we can because 57% of the price is the tax)

here is the evolution of the gaz price in france :
    https://carbu-com.translate.goog/fra...&_x_tr_pto=nui
    Last edited by Delaney; Oct 29th, 2021 at 12:34 PM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I'm not hearing anyone blaming the US. Mostly we seem to be pinning it on increased competition for fuel as more of the world industrialises and a little bit of blaming Russia (there's a suspicion that they've restricted the main pipeline into Europe though that's unproven).

Why would we blame the US (other than it being fun to blame everything on the US of course)?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The rise of the price of gas (heating and cooking) is enormous in the Netherlands. Monthly costs will double compared to kast year.

Also the fuel (for cars) prices are on an all time high
    And no, the US is not blamed for this
    Last edited by Arnoutdv; Oct 29th, 2021 at 04:20 PM.

Just a clarification: Is this about gasoline (mostly for transportation), or natural gas (heating, cooking, etc.)?

It looks like various people have interpreted it differently.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Ah, I was referring to natural gas. Our petrol prices have been creeping up but nothing exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Just a clarification: Is this about gasoline (mostly for transportation), or natural gas (heating, cooking, etc.)?

It looks like various people have interpreted it differently.
    I was thinking automobile fuel/petro at the gas stations.

To be transparent - the reason for asking is because of the number of posts on Social Media and because of statements made by some media stations. They blame US President Biden for the increase in fuel costs. Of course anyone that understands what goes into fuel costs can figure out that it takes more actions than what one person can [easily] do to drive the global gas prices up.

It is such a small world now that it is easy to say "Hey non-US friends, is this happening where you are and what do you think caused it?" Answers to such a simple question can quickly deflate a lot of arguments from people who can barely look outside their neighborhood, let alone their country.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

King of sapila

Hahahahaha.
    Oh boy that was rich.
    We are close to 2 Euros on regular with 65% or more been taxes. I don't think any civilized country can compete the kings of taxation!!
    I don't want to start here also but we have about 1 trillion $ in oil and natural gas in our sub Mediterranean but they won't pull it out unless we go to "war" with Turkey and split the gas so the gas companies can take over cheaper. But that happens when you have foreign interest pawns into power. It's the definition of Sht happens.

P.S. As my esteemed colleague Delaney pointed out, we blame US for everything. When in fact it's our fault voting for traitors that push foreign interests.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

When I wrote "do you blame the United States", I actually edited it to add "for the increase". My thought at the time of writing that was - if I were outside of the US, I'd blame the US for everything.....

I'm in the US and I blame us for a lot.....

King of sapila

I have to specify that the "blame" if any, is for the higher ranks of each country. We don't have anything again the good ol US citizens.

Holy smokes, if I did my math right, in France it is $7.64 a gallon for lead free 98.

What I did was 1 gallon equals 3.7854 litres. 3.7854 times 1.746 euros, which equals 6.6093084. 6.61 Euros to USD is $7.64.

I just filled up my tank using premium gas (98) and it was $3.26 a gallon. And to think that I though that was a lot!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

I just filled up my tank using premium gas (98) and it was $3.26 a gallon. And to think that I though that was a lot!
    The difference between La. and Ca. is a lot, we are @ $4.40 (regular, not premium). Some places are $4.80+. The other day I read (can't remember which country) Holland, Sweden area it's $12.00 a gallon. Easy to see why electric car are so popular.

more info for europe :
    https://www.cargopedia.net/europe-fuel-prices

the top are Netherland and Norway
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

We refine the oil in Southwest Louisiana, pull the oil out of the Gulf in Southeast Louisiana, and pull a ton of natural gas out of North Louisiana.

Louisiana is resource rich with regards to non-renewable fuels.

I will admit that I'd like to see more hydro generated energy since we're so close to the Gulf of Mexico and because of the levee systems, the mouth of the Mississippi is essentially huge jet of dirty water.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    When I wrote "do you blame the United States", I actually edited it to add "for the increase". My thought at the time of writing that was - if I were outside of the US, I'd blame the US for everything.....

I'm in the US and I blame us for a lot.....
    To my knowledge, in France the only complaints we have on the US are for the pollution and the lack of ecology interest in general (and of course your obsession with money).

We french are well known to teach lesson, to others, that we should learn first... and it is a great shame I have about my country

Germany, it's around $7.40 a gallon for Super!

Almost $2 for a liter!

No wonder there were the yellow vest protestors.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    more info for europe :
    https://www.cargopedia.net/europe-fuel-prices

the top are Netherland and Norway
    That's a foreign language. Euro's and Liters. What the hell does that mean. lol

If I am not mistaken it was a little bit less than $1/L here in my town around Sept. and earlier, now it is more than $1 already. The price increased by about Php10 where the exchange rate is $1 = PHP50.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Gas prices could have been brought down and kept down several years ago - but governments decided against doing/agreeing what was needed for this. They prioritise de-carbonisation for climate-change against cheaper fuel. If governments insist on going for 'carbon neutral' then gas/oil/petrol prices will rise.

In the UK, the government are going to move taxes currently paid on electricity prices to pay for re-newables onto gas pricing - making gas even dearer - to move people from using gas. They want people to change from efficient gas-fired heating boilers to in-efficient heat-pumps - which are much more expensive in install and more costly to run which in our winter climate can only possibly manage to keep the house luke warm at best.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That's a foreign language. Euro's and Liters. What the hell does that mean. lol
    Dday9 gave to you, in post 13, the way to do the conversion

Prices are always much higher in Europe than the US. Honestly, your prices seem crazy low to us. I've always imagined the difference is taxation but I don't know.

I'm certainly not seeing anyone over here blaming Biden for any price rises.

I think a big part of it is taxation. The federal gas tax is tiny. It's used for highway repairs, and hasn't been raised since the early 90s...which explains some of our highway issues. Some states and municipalities also put a tax on gas, which can cause differences from one state to the next, and within a state. I remember that prices in Florida were all over the board due to regional taxes.

I think a big part of it is taxation. <snip> Some states and municipalities also put a tax on gas, which can cause differences from one state to the next, and within a state.
    This is one thing about traveling by auto in the US. You have to watch each state because crossing a state line can increase (or decrease) gas prices substantially - and as stated, it is because of state-level taxes for the most part. Some of the pricing however seems to be "simply because they can". I can have gas prices round my house be 10% different $2.98 to $3.39 as an example. You have to watch to see if driving two streets over will save you a notable amount.

And the prices people post for California are simply crazy.

I remember that prices in Florida were all over the board due to regional taxes.
    There is a gas station in Orlando outside of Disney, but tucked back that has gas that is always about twice the price of other gas stations. Last time I was there (about 2 years ago), gas was around $2.10 most places, and its gas was $4.99. I'm always amazed that there are still cars that are getting gas there when they could drive to the next stop light and get it for half the price.

Thanks everyone that has contributed to this thread/discussion. It has turned out to be much more interesting than I expected.
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

It wasn't ethanol free, was it? There are a few places in the Boise area that are ethanol free, and you always pay a hefty extra on that.

One fun fact about the federal gas tax in the US: It was paying for a lot of highway work, but hasn't gone up (from 17 cents/gallon, I believe) since 1993, but what ELSE has happened in the intervening years? For one thing, fuels economy has increased, and electric vehicles make that even more true. So, the number of gallons per mile driven has steadily decreased, meaning the tax revenues have been decreasing even as highway usage has been increasing.

Something is going to give...and so far it has been bridges, but we'll see in the future.

It's used for highway repairs, and hasn't been raised since the early 90s...
    Ours is deliberately high as a motivator for people to not drive, so it goes way beyond road networks maintenance etc. The intention is that, if it's high enough, people will cycle, take public transport etc. I'm personally not convinced it actually works in that way though.

King of sapila

It is the taxation but it is also that Europe does not have any serious supply of self oil.
    Now we got some Trillions of worth in our Greek - Cyprus region but they won't let us go for is because, political traitors, so if we ever manage to extract it the prices on Europe may well drop down to Qatar prices.
    So give your best mind control so our fellow Greeks do not vote for traitors next time so we can all be happy.

I usually purchase ethanol free.

From what I understand, ethanol isn't that bad for the engine if you constantly drive the vehicle, rather issues come up when you fill up the vehicle and let it sit for a while.

However, I figure that I don't mind paying $0.20 more for ethanol free so it isn't that big of a deal. But man, if I were paying $7+ a gallon, I'd definitely switch to ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Ours is deliberately high as a motivator for people to not drive, so it goes way beyond road networks maintenance etc. The intention is that, if it's high enough, people will cycle, take public transport etc. I'm personally not convinced it actually works in that way though.
    In many cities in the US, public transportation (beyond a few buses) doesn't really exist. Many of the Cities are too spread out to make public transportation cost effective. I live in the Indianapolis area (was 13th largest City in US, now 15th with the 2020 Census. That is the case here. A lot of people live outside the city in large suburbs that are spread out. Most of the core 'rail lines' have either been converted or are being converted to trails. That's great for a bit of local traffic, but worthless for mass transit. Getting from the suburb that is 10 miles out to the inner city where the skyscrapers and many businesses are located is a straight shot down the rail paths, but now those are asphalt paths for people walking, running and using non-motorized bikes and such. It is said that the big oil companies contribute to the politicians to help keep mass transit limited.....

The one positive of a pandemic, however, is that it has shown that people can work remotely. That's a jab into the eye of big oil companies since you don't have to drive to get to a home office.

I looked into utilizing the bus system where I live, but it's terribly inconvenient. To get to the office, I'd be transferring a couple times, waiting on some of those for a fair amount of time, and ending up taking perhaps two hours each way. I could do quite a bit better if I biked between seven and ten miles, but the busses have very limited bike carrying capacity. They can carry two. If I showed up and was the third...I'd be out of luck.

My commute by bike is just under 60 miles round trip, and I was doing it in a bit under four hours, but that was brutal. It wasn't just the amount of time and effort spent on that commute, we have puncture vine, so I was replacing a tube every couple trips, which adds some twenty minutes.

So, now I commute from upstairs to downstairs. It's quick, not too tiring...and I'll say nothing of the gas, except to say that I'm not consuming any.

Here in Cleveland, Ohio we have a fairly decent transit system, but we pay the highest sales tax in the state to support it. I live right off I-90 so I make most of my purchases in nearby Lorain County where the sales tax is the lowest in the state - and no "sin tax" on booze.

When I was working downtown I would often take the "heavy rail" rapid transit for $5 round trip, but it more than doubled my commute time (20 minutes vs. 45+ barring crappy winter weather) so I often found it more convenient to just drive and pay $7 for all-day parking (at the time - it's more like $10-12 today). But now I'm working remotely so I'm eyeing some property 40 miles west and selling my house especially with the ridiculous property taxes here (that just went up another 20% )

One thing I cannot complain about is I'm paying the same cost of 110 octane leaded racing fuel ($7/gallon) that I was 20 years ago!
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

King of sapila

Back in 2007 we could pass gas, err, put one litter of Gas with 0.60 Euros then the price just started to go up and up and up so we ended up today with almost 2 Euros per litter. Again we have the thing right in our back yard but we won't drill !

Property taxes are a bit of a sore point out here, but not because the tax rate has increased. The rate of increase is capped, and lots of politicians run on not raising the tax rate at all, let alone up to the cap. It barely matters, when property values are rising so fast that the valuation is always lagging behind, then actual property taxes keep on rising even if the tax rate stays flat, or even declines. Selling and moving is one thing I'm considering, as well, but I'm not sure that it makes sense, yet. Property prices are so high all around me that it might gain me nothing...unless I go to where the internet barely works, which would be highly problematic.

We have property tax caps as well. It isn't just the Assessed Values that make the caps silly. We have 'referendums' that can go around the cap and tax more. It simply takes a local vote to pass a referendum. They are used for schools, so they threaten to cut teaches and create large class sizes. That's enough of a threat to get people to pass them. Of course, the local governments have also started applying tax incentive financing (TIF) to a lot of areas. This takes future property taxes from areas and let's the politicians used them today. The idea was supposed to be used to build up areas that were in disrepair, but politicians use them for everything now. It basically turns into giving builders free money using future tax dollars.....

But alas, this is a tangent to the topic of "Gas Taxes" But, Shaggy, if you move it is doubtful you will escape the taxing issues. What one area does, others soon adopt.....

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Back in 2007 we could pass gas, err, put one litter of Gas with 0.60 Euros then the price just started to go up and up and up so we ended up today with almost 2 Euros per litter. Again we have the thing right in our back yard but we won't drill !
    You can't drill in your neighbors backyard. Did you ask Turkey what they think? I'm sure they think this part of the Mediterranean is exactly above their sovereign oil. . .

Besides, does Greece have any oil platforms already? I doubt you have the technology drill anything on your own.

I keep hearing from you that *they* don't allow you (How dare *they*!) and can only imagine your tiny fist protesting in the air against *these* disgusting non-allowing capitalists.

cheers,
    </wqw>

In Greece they drill for olive oil. It's a much superior product.

And they've got so much oil there, they actually named the country Grease.

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post

But alas, this is a tangent to the topic of "Gas Taxes" But, Shaggy, if you move it is doubtful you will escape the taxing issues. What one area does, others soon adopt.....
    I wouldn't move because of taxes. They are trivial. In fact, in the last session, the state legislature did something to property taxes, I'm just not sure what. I think it will drop my bills. I think they exempted a larger portion of the property value from taxation. They did that the third year I was in this house, my property taxes dropped dramatically, and it has only been in the last three or four years that my tax bill got above what I paid those first couple years...and that was twenty years back. Now, it may have happened again.

So, if I move, it won't be because of taxes. It will either be because I changed jobs, or because I built a house. Ultimately, I can't grow old in this house, because there is no shower on the ground floor. If you can't do stairs, you can't live here. I'd either have to remodel to add a shower (problematic), or move...and I have ideas, but they will have to wait at least another half a year to see which way things go.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    In Greece they drill for olive oil. It's a much superior product.

And they've got so much oil there, they actually named the country Grease.
    cannot rate so :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast