Thread: [RESOLVED] SQL Connection forget to working

Resolved [RESOLVED] SQL Connection forget to working

Dear All,

Someone has an idea what might have happened?
    I save my project, SQL database connection was worked properly. I could read and write on database.
    Now I'm trying to start my project (during the start process the SQL connection state is tested) but it won't start.

Here is the code:
    Code:
    Imports System.Windows.Forms
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Module MainModule

Public sql_connection As New SqlConnection("SERVER = 'PTB\MMD'; Database='mmdinv'; user ID='sa'; Password='xxxx'")

Public Sub Build_SQL_Connection_()
            sql_connection.Open()

End Sub
    Yes, I know it can be solved another way (declare string and new sql connection separately) but it works.
    I have a lot of forms that have the same connection in their own Private Class and now they don't work either.

Anybody has an idea what happened?
    Error message: System.InvalidOperationException: The ConnectionString property has not been initialized
    Name:  SQL.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  7.0 KB

Thanks
    P.
    Last edited by peter.lenkei; Oct 26th, 2021 at 02:26 PM.

Re: [RESOLVED] SQL Connection forget to working

Why is this thread marked as resolved? Did you solve this, if so how?

If it hasn't been resolved, I suggest you try exactly what you suggested: Put the connection string into a string variable, then try creating the connection just before you open it. That shouldn't do much of anything, but I think it would be somewhat easier to diagnose the problem that way.

The other thing to try is just to put a breakpoint on the Open statement and see what is in the connection variable. Not quite sure what you'd be looking for, but you should be able to find the connection string, and it probably won't be there (or else why would you get the error?), which might start a different line of investigation.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: [RESOLVED] SQL Connection forget to working

Yes, I solved.

Some of my keys on my keyboard have been stuck for a while and probably it copied "sql_connection As New SqlConnection" from the clipboard (I found it copied several times under each other in the code) into a Sub in another Class. This Sub is running at startup before the SQL connection. During the run the variable has been re-declared, but connection string was empty, that's why I got the error "ConnectionString property has not been initialized"