Thread: Is it possible to open an Access form through a program without opening an Access ??

Lively Member

Question Is it possible to open an Access form through a program without opening an Access ??

HI
    Is it possible to open an Access form through a program without opening an Access database?

PowerPoster

Re: Is it possible to open an Access form through a program without opening an Access

An "Access database" is a Jet database that contains a bunch of additional structures private to MS Access.

Only MS Access has the necessary macro interpreter, Forms library, and other logic to create and display an "Access Form" from its metadata stuffed into the database by Access.

So what you would have to do is run an instance of MS Access and puppeteer ("automate") it from your VB6 program. This is full of pitfalls and is not recommended for real programs.

Re: Is it possible to open an Access form through a program without opening an Access

Yeah, I've gone down the road of automating MS-Access from VB6 in the past, and I'd personally strongly discourage you from doing that.

I do automate MS-Word and MS-Excel extensively, and even those are a pain (and slow). But automating MS-Access is near unworkable IMHO.

For me, if I need forms from MS-Access, then I write the VBA code within MS-Access to show those forms.

Now, just to say it, getting to the data in an MS-Access database is easy, and we do that all the time. But getting to other objects in an MS-Access file can be a nightmare.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Frenzied Member

Use access runtime ,it's do it.