Thread: Generate classes from SSMS in Visual Studio 2019

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Generate classes from SSMS in Visual Studio 2019

PasteSQL C# Classes

This add-in will allow you to paste SQL create statements from SQL Server and create C# classes from the table. In SSMS, Right click on a table, Script Table as> Create to> Clipboard.

Only tested with C#.

Once a class is generated you can not repeat the generation again and will not be in VS2019 clipboard history.

Re: Generate classes from SSMS in Visual Studio 2019

How does this compare to the .tt file that (used to be) is included with PetaPoco?
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Re: Generate classes from SSMS in Visual Studio 2019

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    How does this compare to the .tt file that (used to be) is included with PetaPoco?
    I never heard of PetaPoco before, took a quick look at PetaPoco.Core.ttinclude and with that the PasteSQL is limited in that it only does SQL-Server unlike PetaPoco which does multiple databases.

Several months ago I created a utility for teaching C# to Cold Fusion developer that also generate classes for an entire database. But outside of class there really no use yet works great. And was used to answer a Stackoverflow question.

My intent for posting the add-in for those who might benefit from it using SQL-Server. For me, I use EF Core Power Tools for generating classes from either Oracle or SQL-Server as all my work is with relational models and when it comes to non database classes I do TDD and/or generate concrete classes from anonymous types using R#.