Thread: [RESOLVED] VB6 QUESTION: Do you ever find yourself creating pseudo forms?

Frenzied Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB6 QUESTION: Do you ever find yourself creating pseudo forms?

Coming from a QB4.5 background I am quite used to knocking up a pseudo-window using text based chars. So, on occasion I find myself doing the same in VB6 using a couple of frames and picBox or two.

Name:  fakeForm.png
Views: 185
Size:  55.8 KB

I don't often do this but when I want a simple and unintrusive pop up window without the usual msgBox, I occasionally create a frame on the form that looks somewhat a form Window - it isn't of course.

The reason I add them is that my users need to be told firmly that I haven't finished this bit yet - and I do hate using msgbox.

Is it a travesty to do this sort of thing? Creating your own pseudo Windows I mean.

Mine will only exist during testing. I find it useful to have them there within the IDE too, it reminds me what I have to complete and I will remove each as soon as I get round to completing that bit of functionality.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 QUESTION: Do you ever find yourself creating pseudo forms?

I'm not sure what they buys you considering its cost. Just use MsgBox, it's only there temporarily after all.

I mean, there are several places I "reconfigure" a form during runtime, based on what the user has specified. But I think that's a bit different from what you're talking about.

Sometimes, for "involved errors" or "involved help", I'll create a separate modal form (as none of my typical forms are modal) that "pops up". But I'm not sure that's what you're talking about either.

In terms of stuff that's not done but in code that I might distribute, I'll just put a MsgBox "Not Completed" message up. In those cases, users are typically quite aware that certain aspects are still "in progress". So basically, I agree with Dil. If it's just temporary, I don't see the point in getting more than 15 seconds of work into it.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Fanatic Member

I have done in several situations, non-modal messagebox type thing sometimes If I dont want the app to hang, and sometimes I use a frame with an X in the corner as a lazy options config dialog. I wouldn't say there is anything really wrong with it. It can to be a pain if you use it on a really busy form though.

its not really any different than having say a search or results pane that only displays on certain conditions which I think everyone has done at some point.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    and I do hate using msgbox.
    If you hate using MsgBox then it seems OK to use something else, what can we say...
    The other option is to try, I'm not saying to love but at least not to hate them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Is it a travesty to do this sort of thing?
    Window: female

Yes, it looks like travesty to me

Hyperactive Member

In addition to MsgBox, occasionally I will use two types of "Self Closing Msg" which is actually a Form in "Fixed ToolWindow" BorderStyle. The purpose is to dispense with user's acknowledgement click.

Scenario example 1: In a MDI form there are a cluster of toolbox Tools, such as Paint, Erase, Line, Oval, Polygon, Bezier & Lasso, etc, 16 of them. If user tries to select a Tool when there is not any child form yet, the clicked Tool will not appear sunken and the 1st Self Closing Msg will appear.

Scenario example 2: When user tries to load a GIF/PNG file via the Open submenu under the File main menu, and the file happens to be an Animated GIF/Animated PNG, the 2nd Self Closing Msg will materialize itself as a reminder. (After that, the first frame of the said GIF/PNG file will be loaded to a child form as an ordinary picture.)

The duration on screen is slightly longer for the 2nd "Self Closing Msg", still very briefly though. For the 1st one, the caller is to supply the text at the time calling it. For the 2nd one, the logo and the word "Reminder" are fixed, so is the text "To suppress this reminder ...." of the last line, the caller is to supply an index to the available preset texts which is to appear in the middle only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brenker; Oct 22nd, 2021 at 10:31 PM.

I've never used that type of message box alternative, but the idea may be helpful in some situations. I have made a custom form to avoid rare yet critical issues with msgbox and the api version.
    For instance, when Windows has completely messed up the z-order and the msgbox is under a toplevel window for one reason or another. A bad day for the user.
    You might see an orange taskbar item flashing to indicate that Windows has fouled up and needs your rescue.
    It requires a mouse click or key combination to clear the lock out error.
    On the default desktop you can manually use Win+B, or invoke it programmatically.

I don't think the child frames would have that problem.

PowerPoster

Not really, I do create some small custom forms sometimes and many times will use frames that are normally hidden then show up under certain conditions but they generally show up as part if the form maybe covering a section of the form, sometimes covering the entire area of the form but never anything that looks like a form.

Frenzied Member

Well, I no longer feel as ashamed at this unholy type of creation. It is nice to hear that we all do our own thing at times. The z-order thing always worries me and msgboxes can be just "too much in your face". Sometimes a low key equivalent without the hassle of another form. I can also copy/paste it wherever I need it.

Thanks for your feedback.
    By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Frenzied Member

Re: [RESOLVED] VB6 QUESTION: Do you ever find yourself creating pseudo forms?

Quote Originally Posted by The trick View Post
    When I studied working with graphics, I did something similar, but no more. Pay attention to the video starting at 16 second:
    A full form-sized pop up, hmmm. That might do the 'trick' easier and more effectively.

We have a VB6 production application that uses this quite extensively. Personally, I don't favor it as it makes changing the Form in the designer quite a hellish experience. However, there are ways to do it without cluttering your Forms at design time. I favor dynamically adding these "pseudo-Forms" at run time though it's a technique I adopted in VB.Net. VB6 requires you to create Control arrays and use Load to instantiate Controls which I never liked. In VB6 I'd do it the old fashion way and just add it to the Form at design time and make it invisible.

From a usability stand point, it's much better than using a message box. Message boxes have annoying little quirks. It feels a lot better using applications that use this technique over message boxes.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Frenzied Member

I don't feel quite so dumb now.