Thread: Transition VB 6.0 --> C hopefully in Windows

Addicted Member

Question Transition VB 6.0 --> C hopefully in Windows

So I'm very familiar with VB 6.0 (XPPro, 7, 10), and decades ago I got my degree in Computer Science. Currently writing some code, but nothing big, mostly test fixtures with PC interface because I also have an AS in electronics to create the interface circuits. I have a poor to mediocre understanding of OO programming, and I rarely use it myself :-}

Anyway, a consultant we hired in the past is no longer available. He created a C program (linux environment) and I'll be getting the source and makefile~. Bosses want this C program to run in Windows, its mostly a simple command line style Serial Interface for a product we don't make any more, but now suddenly we have orders for...?

I'm not sure what to do with this, decades ago I used Turbo C from Borland, not sure if I still have the disks, or if Borland is still a company haha. Wondering if you'all have any suggestions.

I do have a linux PC here running 20.04 LTS (ubuntu), and I know enough about it to be dangerous.

~ we're getting this stuff from the executor of his estate, if that answers your question, funny story...

Re: Transition VB 6.0 --> C hopefully in Windows

Moderator Actions: Moved from VB6 forum to C and C++ forum.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Moderator Actions: Moved from VB6 forum to C and C++ forum.
    I know I did bad...sorry.

Mais it's no big deal. It was a couple of mouse clicks for me.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Can't help with linux (as I don't use it), but could provide c/c++ advise using MS Visual Studio c/c++ with Windows.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by prginocx View Post
    I'm not sure what to do with this, decades ago I used Turbo C from Borland, not sure if I still have the disks, or if Borland is still a company haha. Wondering if you'all have any suggestions.
    You can try using gcc on Windows nowadays. The port of gcc to Windows in called Mingw. This original projecty is now abandoned but you can use Mingw-w64 fork which is very much alive and kicking.

The easiest way to install the compiler is through some IDE for Windows like Code::Blocks. Just download codeblocks-20.03mingw-32bit-setup.exe from Code::Blocks binaries page to get integrated installer of both gcc compiler and IDE.

It will not be an easy task to port Linux sources to compile on Windows but it's very doable and there are a lot of projects that use gcc/Mingw this way.

cheers,
    </wqw>