Thread: Native Client 11

Fanatic Member

Native Client 11

Hey people.
    • I've got SQL Server 14 running.
    • My program references Driver={SQL Server Native Client 11.0} in the connect string
    • I installed Native Client 11 msodbcsql.msi from this Microsoft download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down....aspx?id=36434
    • Doesn't work. Program can't connect. Says driver is missing.

I installed SQL Server Management Studio which installs a pile of drivers.
    Now my program works.

I'd like to be able to just install the proper drivers rather than have to install SQL Server Management Studio on every customer's machine.

Anybody know where to get the proper SQL Server Native Client that VB is looking for?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Re: Native Client 11

You have to download and install the 32-bit version ENU\x86\msodbcsql.msi not the 64-bit version ENU\x64\msodbcsql.msi

Not that this is not the Native Client 11 as the title of the thread suggests (which is an OLEDB driver, not ODBC).

Try the 32-bit ENU\x86\sqlncli.msi from this link instead: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50402

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Re: Native Client 11

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    You have to download and install the 32-bit version ENU\x86\msodbcsql.msi not the 64-bit version ENU\x64\msodbcsql.msi
    The 32 bit client won't run on my version of windows which is 64 bit. (Screen shot below)

Attachment 182662

The 64 bit version also won't install because it claims I already have a higher version on my computer (after I installed SQL Server Management Studio).

Attachment 182663

I wonder if the 64 bit installer would contain a 32 bit client as well as the 64 bit client?