Thread: Default Connection Timeouts

Frenzied Member

Default Connection Timeouts

According to RFC 7230:
    ----------------------------------
    A client, server, or proxy MAY close the transport connection at any time. For example, a client might have started to send a new request at the same time that the server has decided to close the "idle" connection. From the server's point of view, the connection is being closed while it was idle, but from the client's point of view, a request is in progress.
    ----------------------------------
    I am trying to figure out a good timeout for PicServer, and the default timeouts for modern browsers is proving elusive. Both versions of Firefox that I have access to have an idle timeout around 2 minutes, but I have been unable to locate up-to-date values for some of the other browsers. Here are some of the older values:

Opera 11.11 – 120 seconds
    Chrome 13 – at least 300 seconds (server closed after 300 second timeout)
    IE 9 – 60 seconds
    Firefox 4 – 115 seconds

Can anyone point me to more recent statistics?

J.A. Coutts

Re: Default Connection Timeouts

Is this scenario for HTTP/1.1 with Connection: Keep-Alive header send by the client? (So that subsequent requests can be multiplexed on the same TCP connection?)

Then there is Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=1000 header that the client might send to request/control server timeouts.

Generally each http server software has a separate setting for default keepalive timeout and multiple other TCP connection timeouts too.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

Re: Default Connection Timeouts

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Is this scenario for HTTP/1.1 with Connection: Keep-Alive header send by the client? (So that subsequent requests can be multiplexed on the same TCP connection?)

Then there is Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=1000 header that the client might send to request/control server timeouts.

Generally each http server software has a separate setting for default keepalive timeout and multiple other TCP connection timeouts too.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    This question came up when I started using HTTP 1.1 with PicServer (it works much better that 1.0). As I understand this protocol, both the server and the client can and should have timeouts in order to optimize network utilization. HTTP 1.1 does not require "Connection: Keep-Alive" (it is the default), but my server software does require a default setting in case the client disables the timeout.

It is my understanding that Chrome utilizes the HTTP ping to extend the connection timeout, but I don't know if any of the other browsers do something similar. Apparently, the default timeout can be modified in Firefox using about:config, but Chrome does not provide such a feature.

J.A. Coutts