Thread: [RESOLVED] Cairo Pattern Meshes, are they what I think they are? [L-Plate Learner Edition]

Resolved [RESOLVED] Cairo Pattern Meshes, are they what I think they are? [L-Plate Learner Edition]

Hi All,

Another beginner question for the Cairo Squad.
    I'm attempting to learn how to build a non-uniform, image stretching-tool with VB sliders as the warp inducer.
    With the hopes that I could achieve something like this Photoshoped warp, but programmatically.

Name:  Non Uniform Stretching.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  14.2 KB

Is such a thing achievable in Cairo?
    I've been trawling through the web, only to find the PyCairo documentation talking about mesh patterns.

Name:  PyCairo Document P1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  27.2 KB

With their example of:

Name:  PyCairo Document P2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  33.0 KB

I tried searching through the lists of properties of Cairo 'things' in VB, RC6, patterns, surfaces etc, but I couldn't find anything to compare with the documentation above.

Does that mean we can't do this via Cairo-VB6, or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?

Fanatic Member

Re: Cairo Pattern Meshes, are they what I think they are? [L-Plate Learner Edition]

Coincidentally I was looking at the same topic yesterday.
    I too landed on pyCairo and MeshPattern
    which is not implemented in RC6, I think because it was probably added later (New in version 1.14.)

So, I think that if this is the solution we have to wait for the integration of MeshPattern in RC6.
    Or alternatively split the initial image into many squares/rectangles and use
    CairoContext.RenderSurfaceWithinCorners.
    In this way the curves will be approximated to small straight lines (loss of curvature/quality).

It also seems to me that MeshPatter doesn't use all the content of the initial image but relies solely on the 4 colors of the corners.

Re: Cairo Pattern Meshes, are they what I think they are? [L-Plate Learner Edition]

>Not implemented yet, ah.

Name:  Satania 01.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  154.1 KB

Fanatic Member

This is my result of testing deforming an image using RenderSurfaceWithinCorners
    The aglorithm splits the source image into many small rectangles SrfARR()
    Then a random deformation is applied to the vertices of the grid representing these rectangles.
    The code was created on the fly, quickly, it is not very elegant.

-Put this code in a form and call it fMain
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private cnt       As Long

Private WithEvents Timer1 As cTimer

Private Sub Form_Activate()
        PIC1.CurrentX = 10
        PIC1.CurrentY = 10
        PIC1.Print "Click Me to Draw / Refresh "
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim FN$

Me.ScaleMode = vbPixels
        PIC1.ScaleMode = vbPixels

pW = PIC1.Width
        pH = PIC1.Height

Set Srf = Cairo.CreateSurface(pW, pH, ImageSurface)
        Set CC = Srf.CreateContext

CC.AntiAlias = CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_NONE

FN = "arny 1.jpg"                            ''''<<<<<<<<<<<<<------- Your Image in App Path

Cairo.ImageList.AddImage "MAINI", App.Path & "\" & FN, , , , SourceW, SourceH
        Me.Caption = "Source: " & SourceW & " x " & SourceH
        Set SourceSrf = Cairo.CreateSurface(SourceW, SourceH, ImageSurface, App.Path & "\" & FN)

Set Timer1 = New_c.Timer(40, False)

InitGridPoints

End Sub

Private Sub PIC1_Click()
        Deform
        DrawPieces DeformedP
    End Sub
    Private Sub Form_Click()

CC.RenderSurfaceWithinCorners SourceSrf, 10, 10, 300, 20, 400, 400, 20, 300
        Srf.DrawToDC PIC1.hDC
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
        Dim I&, j&
        Dim P         As Double
        Dim Q         As Double

cnt = cnt + 1
        If cnt > 10 Then
            cnt = 0
            Deform
        Else
            P = cnt / 10
            Q = 1 - P
            For I = 0 To RowCols
                For j = 0 To RowCols
                    CurrentP(I, j).X = CurrentP(I, j).X * Q + DeformedP(I, j).X * P
                    CurrentP(I, j).Y = CurrentP(I, j).Y * Q + DeformedP(I, j).Y * P
                Next
            Next
            DrawPieces CurrentP
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub Check1_Click()
        Timer1.Enabled = Check1 = vbChecked
    End Sub
    -in the Form add a PicturreBox (PIC1) and a CheckBox (check1) (that will be used to start an animation.)

-Add this code in a Module
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Public Srf        As cCairoSurface
    Public CC         As cCairoContext
    Public SourceSrf  As cCairoSurface
    Public SourceW&, SourceH&
    Public pW&, pH&

Public Type tP
        X             As Long
        Y             As Long
    End Type

Public GridP()    As tP
    Public DeformedP() As tP
    Public CurrentP() As tP

Public SrfARR()   As cCairoSurface

Public Const RowCols As Long = 8

Private TileW     As Long
    Private TileH     As Long

Public Sub InitGridPoints()
        Dim I&, j&

ReDim GridP(RowCols, RowCols)
        ReDim DeformedP(RowCols, RowCols)
        ReDim CurrentP(RowCols, RowCols)

For I = 0 To RowCols
            For j = 0 To RowCols
                GridP(I, j).X = Round(I / RowCols * pW)
                GridP(I, j).Y = Round(j / RowCols * pH)
            Next
        Next

ReDim SrfARR(RowCols - 1, RowCols - 1)

TileW = Int(SourceW / RowCols + 0.5)
        TileH = Int(SourceH / RowCols + 0.5)

For I = 0 To RowCols - 1
            For j = 0 To RowCols - 1
                Set SrfARR(I, j) = Cairo.CreateSurface( _
                                   TileW, TileH, ImageSurface)
                With SrfARR(I, j).CreateContext
                    .SetSourceSurface SourceSrf, -I * TileW, -j * TileH
                    .Paint
                End With
            Next
        Next

End Sub

Public Sub Deform()
        Dim I&, j&
        For I = 0 To RowCols
            For j = 0 To RowCols
                DeformedP(I, j).X = GridP(I, j).X + (Rnd * 2 - 1) * TileW * 0.25
                DeformedP(I, j).Y = GridP(I, j).Y + (Rnd * 2 - 1) * TileH * 0.25
            Next
        Next
    End Sub
    Public Sub DrawPieces(Points() As tP)
        Dim I&, j&

For I = 0 To RowCols - 1
            For j = 0 To RowCols - 1
                CC.RenderSurfaceWithinCorners SrfARR(I, j), _
                                              Points(I, j).X, Points(I, j).Y, _
                                              Points(I + 1, j).X + 1, Points(I + 1, j).Y, _
                                              Points(I + 1, j + 1).X + 1, Points(I + 1, j + 1).Y + 1, _
                                              Points(I, j + 1).X, Points(I, j + 1).Y
            Next
        Next

Srf.DrawToDC fMain.PIC1.hDC
    End Sub

-Save your project
    -Copy in the project folder an image-file
    -Go to this line and put the name of the image in App Path FN = "arny 1.jpg" ''''
    I hope I haven't forgotten anything

Sorry for the code quality and for the maybe strange names of the variables/subs.

Name:  I see.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  91.5 KB

Thank you for the example Reexre.

I suspect, say, if I wanted to create a smooth parabolic transformation using this method, I might quickly end up in a mathematical hellscape of mesh generation. Plus the jagged fragmentation wouldn't do me any favours.

It's a clever approach all the same. Thanks for posting for us plebs to examine.

Fanatic Member

Here is an example of camera lens distortion.
    This is used in my Photo Effects program.
    Searching the internet you can find some of these....

Code:
    Private Function Atan2(ByVal X As Double, ByVal Y As Double) As Double
        If X Then
            Atan2 = -3.14159265358979 + Atn(Y / X) - (X > 0#) * 3.14159265358979
        Else
            Atan2 = -1.5707963267949 - (Y > 0#) * 3.14159265358979
        End If
    End Function

Public Sub DeformLENS()
        Dim I&, j&
        Dim nX#, nY#                                 'Normalized Grid coordinates (range -1 , 1 )
        Dim X#, Y#                                   'New coordinates (range -1 , 1 )
        Dim R#, A#
        Dim strength#

strength = 0.5                          ' from 0 to 0.5

For I = 0 To RowCols
            For j = 0 To RowCols
                ' Make grid coordinates in the range -1 to 1
                nX = 2# * GridP(I, j).X / pW - 1#
                nY = 2# * GridP(I, j).Y / pH - 1#
                A = Atan2(nX, nY)
                R = Sqr(nX * nX + nY * nY)

R = R / (1# + strength * R * R) * (1# + strength)

X = R * Cos(A)
                Y = R * Sin(A)

' Make new coordinates (-1 to 1) to the ranges 0-pW and 0-pH
                DeformedP(I, j).X = ((X + 1#) * 0.5) * pW
                DeformedP(I, j).Y = ((Y + 1#) * 0.5) * pH
            Next
        Next
    End Sub

Fanatic Member

Change of course.
    Perhaps I rushed too quickly into using RenderSurfaceWithinCorners.
    It depends on the transformation you want to achieve and the quality of the output image.
    Presumably the RenderSurfaceWithinCorners method is unsuitable for this purpose.
    A simpler and probably faster way is to read and write the pixels one by one.
    To do this RC6 has Surface.BindToArray /ReleaseArray
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByVal pDest As Long, ByVal pSrc As Long, ByVal ByteLen As Long)

Private Function Atan2(ByVal X As Double, ByVal Y As Double) As Double
        If X Then
            Atan2 = -3.14159265358979 + Atn(Y / X) - (X > 0#) * 3.14159265358979
        Else
            Atan2 = -1.5707963267949 - (Y > 0#) * 3.14159265358979
        End If
    End Function

Public Sub DeformByBYTES()
        Dim BytesIN() As Byte
        Dim BytesOUT() As Byte
        Dim X&, Y&
        Dim xGet&, yGet&
        Dim x4&

Dim nX#, nY#                                 ' Normalized output coordinates (range -1 , 1 )
        Dim iX#, iY#                                 ' Normalized input coordinates

Dim R         As Double
        Dim A         As Double

Const strength As Double = 1

SourceSrf.BindToArray BytesIN()
        ReDim BytesOUT(UBound(BytesIN, 1), UBound(BytesIN, 2))

For X = 0 To SourceW - 1
            x4 = X * 4
            For Y = 0 To SourceH - 1
                nX = 2# * X / (SourceW - 1) - 1#
                nY = 2# * Y / (SourceH - 1) - 1#

R = Sqr(nX * nX + nY * nY)
                A = Atan2(nX, nY)

R = R * (1# + strength * R * R) / (1 + strength)

iX = Cos(A) * R
                iY = Sin(A) * R

If iX >= -1# Then
                    If iX <= 1# Then
                        If iY >= -1# Then
                            If iY <= 1# Then
                                xGet = (iX + 1) * 0.5 * (SourceW - 1)
                                yGet = (iY + 1) * 0.5 * (SourceH - 1)

BytesOUT(x4 + 0, Y) = BytesIN(xGet * 4 + 0, yGet)    'B
                                BytesOUT(x4 + 1, Y) = BytesIN(xGet * 4 + 1, yGet)    'G
                                BytesOUT(x4 + 2, Y) = BytesIN(xGet * 4 + 2, yGet)    'R
                                BytesOUT(x4 + 3, Y) = BytesIN(xGet * 4 + 3, yGet)    'A

End If
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            Next
        Next

' Copy BytesOUT to BytesIN
        Dim Size      As Long
        Size = (SourceW * 4) * SourceH           '* LenB(bytesIN(0, 0))
        CopyMemory ByVal VarPtr(BytesIN(0, 0)), ByVal VarPtr(BytesOUT(0, 0)), Size

SourceSrf.ReleaseArray BytesIN

'---------------------------------  Original Size
        '    SourceSrf.DrawToDC fMain.PIC1.hDC
        '---------------------------------  Resized to PIC1
        CC.RenderSurfaceContent SourceSrf, 0, 0, pW, pH
        Srf.DrawToDC fMain.PIC1.hDC
        '---------------------------------

End Sub

Name:  whole-new-meaning-to-in-over-my-head.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  107.5 KB

Thanks for the posts Reexre. Ah, perhaps I should explain what I wanted to achieve, otherwise this might become far too math oriented to keep it fun. I've created a base-face-maker model thing (semi cartoon, semi-real). It makes a generic face to which; eyes, mouth, eye brows, freckles, eye lashes, eye colours, eye shape, pupil shape, jaw shape, nose shape, lighting levels and shape, shadow levels and shape, hair can be altered. The image rotation question I had resolved thanks to Olaf and JpBro the other day fixed that bit for the eye rotation, absolutely perfectly. I was going to use stretching for sizes (done), and skewing (done), and mirroring (done) for things. The jaw shape, and it's corresponding lighting and darkening layers all need to be distorted equally, but, in various user defined directions. Using Photoshop distortion I can create all manner of face shapes for the jawline easy enough, and trouble is, that's only one instance, and then I have to apply it to the lighting and darkening layers too (as a repeated action). That's where it gets messy and splits feathered gradients (you end up with cutting of shading).

A Cairo based mesh distortion would solve everything in one go. Otherwise, it's way too mathematically over my head. The base game-test I'm doing is to observe Cairo's speed, a land and dungeon based, highly graphically oriented RPG crawler would require a character builder, or more to the point a cartoony-semi-realistic face maker, just for player's connection and the randomized faces for NPC dialogue. So far, the base-face model I've made works brilliantly on Cairo. But the distortion of the jaw/lighting/darks is a crucial aspect to keep the code clean and not have me terrorizing 60+ jaw instances (png's) via Photoshop.
    At the moment, the RPG crawler game looks waaaay to fabulous and literally stuns me how good it appears on Cairo. (I do art). I'm up to the monster combat section after making everything run super smooth and 7ms screen updates (wow). BUT. I wanted to have a rest and do the other face making thing for a little bit (while I plan more on the combat side)... Hence my dismay at finding out Cairo can't do mesh distortion. *Sigh*.... And the base face model looks so damn good too (supermodel level good)... I would post it up for others to see, but can't do that until meshes are available for us.

Fanatic Member

Wow Really very interesting what you are doing.
    I didn't quite understand how the face is drawn. By saying "semi-cartoon, semi-real" I assume you are using both images and curves(filled) generated by Cairo.
    How is the jaw drawn? (Is it a curve or an image? If it's a curve, things are a lot easier).
    Although, as you say it's not complete (but damn good) you could post an example image. I think there is no better way to understand. I am very curious.

Ah Here it is, now, looking at the first image you put I understand better the kind of distortion you want to get, although at the same time I don't know how to "define" it.
    I think it's based on some displaceable points: The two in the low corners plus the two at mid-height. (Plus maybe the two at the top corners and the one at bottom center).

Again, if you draw it with the functions in CairoContext it should be pretty easy, otherwise if you want to deform an image you need some expert to find the right mathematical function. (In this case my last code I think would be useful as a starting point)

EDIT:
    For those who want to try (I don't think I will succeed)
    I found this very interesting Article (+ C# Source code) about an interesting special kind of image warping:
    Image Warping using Simplified MLS in C#/WPF
    based on this PDF

Name:  Fast face.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  60.0 KB

Reexre, I'm only going to post up a shrunken version, the real manipulable version is 600x600. You can rotate her eyes and such, and due to feather gradients, there is no weird dark/light anomalies. As in, skin is dark then a wall of light skin. The face is a 'base' unit, so manipulations are done to it to derive a stack of outcomes. The base face isn't finished either, I need to clean up a crapload of things until it's professional looking and game worthy. (Her nose for instance, shading and nostrils are wrong. Her base skin also needs more definition.) (That's why I'm not posting full size, I don't want to be picked on by 'real' artists yet.) (It's all images btw).

Anyway, the big image is 'stacked', she has her base skin on one Cairo layer buffer, eye lash buffer, eye buffer, hair buffer and so on. The skin darkening and lightening are also other layers, so you can change the apparent angles of her face due to that. The jaw is also separate, but the distortion of shading also needs to follow it (if implemented). I'm just glad Cairo has the masking operator (IN) and (ATOP) which makes the shading perfect(!!!)

Anyway, you know how all the RPG's out there give you just a few artist drawn portraits to select from, I always found that stifling. And the online character makers are all single shade presets without much ado. I wanted an in between, artist looking but fully manipulable. Cairo, almost, almost offers that.

Meshes, where for art thou?!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by -Corso-> View Post
    Meshes, where for art thou?!
    FWIW, I've implemented the missing (and now available in the C-sources) -
    Mesh-Functionality now within the RC6.cPattern-Class.

A new release (with other enhancements in different areas) will be uploaded the next days.

Not sure though, whether the "Meshes" can fullfill what you want to use them for.
    (they are good for "4-differently colored corner-points" - but that's just 4 colors for a "Coons-Patch").

Here is, what the new Mesh-Methods can produce (straight from the Python-examples):

And here, what VB6/RC6-code was needed, to achieve that output:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
      Dim CC As cCairoContext
      Set CC = Cairo.CreateSurface(800, 600).CreateContext
          CC.Paint 1, Cairo.CreateCheckerPattern

PaintCoonsPatch CC, Cairo.CreateMeshPattern
          PaintGouraudTriangle CC, Cairo.CreateMeshPattern

Set Picture = CC.Surface.Picture
    End Sub

Sub PaintCoonsPatch(CC As cCairoContext, Mesh As cCairoPattern)
      CC.Save
        CC.TranslateDrawings 40, 40
        Mesh.BeginPatch
            Mesh.MoveTo 0, 0
            Mesh.CurveTo 30, -30, 60, 30, 100, 0
            Mesh.CurveTo 60, 30, 130, 60, 100, 100
            Mesh.CurveTo 60, 70, 30, 130, 0, 100
            Mesh.CurveTo 30, 70, -30, 30, 0, 0

Mesh.SetCornerColor 0, vbRed
            Mesh.SetCornerColor 1, vbGreen
            Mesh.SetCornerColor 2, vbBlue
            Mesh.SetCornerColor 3, vbYellow
        Mesh.EndPatch

CC.Paint 1, Mesh

CC.AppendPath Mesh.GetPatchPath(0) 'optional stroking of the Mesh-Patch-Path
        CC.Stroke , Cairo.CreateSolidPatternLng(vbBlack)
      CC.Restore
    End Sub

Sub PaintGouraudTriangle(CC As cCairoContext, Mesh As cCairoPattern)
      CC.Save
        CC.TranslateDrawings 180, 85

Mesh.BeginPatch
            Mesh.MoveTo 0, 0
            Mesh.LineTo 100, -50
            Mesh.LineTo 80, 60

Mesh.SetCornerColor 0, vbRed
            Mesh.SetCornerColor 1, vbGreen
            Mesh.SetCornerColor 2, vbBlue
        Mesh.EndPatch

CC.Paint 1, Mesh

CC.AppendPath Mesh.GetPatchPath(0) 'optional stroking of the Mesh-Patch-Path
        CC.Stroke , Cairo.CreateSolidPatternLng(vbBlack)
      CC.Restore
    End Sub
    Olaf

Thank you Olaf, but before I get hyper excited. Does this allow image warping? Like what Reexre's done in his example? Or is it only for colours?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by -Corso-> View Post
    Thank you Olaf, but before I get hyper excited. Does this allow image warping? Like what Reexre's done in his example? Or is it only for colours?
    If I'm not mistaken, then it is "only" for Colors.

But looking at your Picture...
    In case "the freckles" can be moved (or already are) in a separate Layer-Surface,
    the "FaceContour+Skin"-Layer has quite smooth "skin-gradients" (no hard "edges" in the gradients).

Cannot imagine, that it'd be that hard, to cover that FaceContour-layer with - let's say ...
    4x3=12 "curved and connected Coons-Patches" ... on one side of the face that is -
    the other one will be "just mirrored", even when you edit the Coons-Grids Control-Points on just one side.

I'd like to leave the final experimenting to the real artists though...
    (let's see what Reexre has to say - or contribute - once the new version is uploaded).

Olaf

Freckles layer: Only need to supply different png's with varied splatter patterns, user will be able to control darkness level.
    Lighting Layer and Darkening Layer: Will provide various png's with different forms. But, it's the jaw layer which receives a copy of the light/dark layer [operator in] it, I would make the jaw layer manipulable via directional control, [control points] on 2 axes. (One to pull the chin/jaw down, one to pull the chin-jaw in/out to the side, then mirrored. That pattern of manipulation would also be copied onto the light/dark layers so as not to damage or pinch the gradients. It would probably need perhaps a separate elongation control too, (middle, all-drag extend) (which coincidentally moves the mouth position by a ratio.)
    Well, that's what I'm planning to build. The other lighting on the face parts won't be necessary to distort, unless I want to do manipulation of the eye socket darkness... but that might be workload overkill... Supplying the shaded/lighting png's layers might be sufficient depending.
    Anyway, looking forward to the update Olaf. If it's able to manipulate images, that would be awesome!

Name:  d45f7e1c920a21a65aafafb485856112.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  73.1 KB

PowerPoster

FYI: vbRichClient-version 6.09 was just uploaded (with proper cairo-mesh-support),

So, the example (as posted in #11) will work, after downloading and registering this new lib-version.

Have fun...

Olaf

Name:  Thank you Olaf.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  182.2 KB

Thank you very much Olaf, I'll jump on it soon and see if it allows distortion, (probably not), but I'll report back regardless.

Thanks Olaf for the update and example, and as you expected, the mesh isn't for image manipulation, it's just a gradient patch. Probably only good for instant colour wheels. (Which is still handy).

I've opted for a compromise between Reexre's mesh test and drawing multiple jaw objects.
    I'll split the face into quadrants and only manipulate one corner. That way, it shouldn't pinch or split the gradients.
    And by adding in a few different jaw designs, it should look pretty neat. At least the shading is taken care of per each one too.

Name:  Comprimise.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  63.9 KB

Anyway, on wards for now. (!)