Thread: Can a VB.NET coding contest be advertised in the Visual Basic .NET forum?

Can a VB.NET coding contest be advertised in the Visual Basic .NET forum?

Maybe I missed it... I just don't remember a year VBForums didn't host a coding contest, but it looks like this year there wont be any due to poor participation in past.

Can a contest for VB.NET programmers in the Coding Contests' forum be advertised in the Visual Basic .NET forum? The VB.NET forum's description ends with "anything to do with VB.NET programming," so I would think advertising a contest geared to Visual Basic .NET programmers would fit right in.

Some guests lurking in the Visual Basic .NET forum might create a user account just to participate. That forum averages between 300 to 400 lurkers everyday.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Oct 14th, 2021 at 05:05 AM.

Re: Can a VB.NET coding contest be advertised in the Visual Basic .NET forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Some guests lurking in the Visual Basic .NET forum might create a user account just to participate. That forum averages between 300 to 400 lurkers everyday.
    These are VB6-ers from the next door sub-forum :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It certainly can and we'd be happy to sticky it.

DDay's been really great about organising these in the past though he's gone through some pretty stormy weather recently so he might have too much on his plate (or maybe he'd appreciate the distraction, I don't know). Assuming he's not free, how would you feel about volunteering to organise one? We'd appreciate anything that increases engagement from the lurkers.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It certainly can and we'd be happy to sticky it.

DDay's been really great about organising these in the past though he's gone through some pretty stormy weather recently so he might have too much on his plate (or maybe he'd appreciate the distraction, I don't know). Assuming he's not free, how would you feel about volunteering to organise one? We'd appreciate anything that increases engagement from the lurkers.
    I wouldn't mind, but I would need a few days to research ideas in order to organize something, and help from a super mod to fix it so submissions are hidden.

Hmm, not sure how to keep submissions hidden. I'll post in the mods forum and see if I can find out.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

A bit more info.

The Coding Contest Forum has a moderated sub-forum, coding contest entries. Posts to that sub forum aren't visible to users until a moderator approves them. So you could set up the contest in that forum and have submissions made to the sub forum. They won't be visible to anyone so nobody can cheat off each other. Then, on the deadline, a mod can approve all the entries at which point they'll become visible and available for judging.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    A bit more info.

The Coding Contest Forum has a moderated sub-forum, coding contest entries. Posts to that sub forum aren't visible to users until a moderator approves them. So you could set up the contest in that forum and have submissions made to the sub forum. They won't be visible to anyone so nobody can cheat off each other. Then, on the deadline, a mod can approve all the entries at which point they'll become visible and available for judging.
    Forgot about the sub-forum.

I'll try to have something soon!

Once you've set it up drop a mod a pm and we'll sticky it for you.

We've moved your thread to the forum feedback section as it's a slightly better fit. Also, it means we can rate you

Yeah, in Chit-Chat, we can only BE rate you.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing