Thread: C, C++, C#, VB6 Programmer analogy with regard to building

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

C, C++, C#, VB6 Programmer analogy with regard to building

C Programmer analogy with regard to building

If a C programmer was in the building Industry, he could build all sorts of buildings, houses and other structures, brick by brick. He could dig the trenches, mix and pour the concrete, he has all the skills required and can do carpentry, plumbing, drainage, roofing and electrics equally as well. He is the right man for the job if you want to build a house like mine from the ground up, solid, conventional, brick-built house with Georgian sash windows, wooden doors and floors. Don't expect the result to be too stylish but it will be well-built, solid and respectable. He was an apprentice builder and learnt the trade from other builders who were hard task masters.

A VB6 Programmer - he can clad your house in wood clapboard or aluminium at a pinch. He can add partitions to your rooms with new plasterboard walls. He can put in screen doors and insulate your existing walls. He can change the lampshades and put new covers on the switches. He can lay a new floor on top of the existing wood floor. He can tile the walls and perhaps even put additional taps onto the existing plumbing. He could even extend to doing some of the plumbing and electrics himself but he doesn't have the necessary qualifications, so people really don't want him to touch anything. He's learning how to build, mostly self taught, enthusiastic but a bit nonplussed why no-one wants him as they used to. He's not so busy as he used to be. He was 'into' interior design for a while but his personal style has stuck to a particular decade but fashion being fashion, it moves on - but he hasn't realised. He wonders why his VB.NET mate that used to use the same tools has been doing so much better than him recently.

The C++ programmer, he works in the city. He builds offices and apartment blocks, shops &c. He thinks he can do anything the C programmer can do but bigger and better. He uses off-the-shelf components, such as pre-built concrete walls, concrete foundation blocks to save time. He uses excavators on the foundations and service trenches. Glass and steel drop-in sections that form the bulk of the frontage, flat roofed, air conditioning units plonked on. Off-the-shelf solutions for toilets, kitchens and staircases. Pre-formed steel tubing and glass forms much of the structure and is easily bolted together. If you asked him to build a house for you, it would be modern, have a large area of glass and possibly a pool with a mezzanine area. An anonymous off-the-shelf affair that without the pool could easily double as a local public library or a small police station. He wouldn't stoop to fabricating a brick-built house unless the walls were merely a fashionable skin. It is all too much effort and rather old fashioned to build with all those tiny little objects. Everything is prebuilt now and so much quicker. Once upon a time he used to dabble in some interior design but he leaves that to others now.

The C# programmer. He can do anything the C/C++ programmer can do better - but for him everything is much, much easier. He can build theatre auditoriums, shopping arcades, swimming pools, bedrooms, control centres, mezzanine seating areas, cinemas, hotels, cafes all using off-the-shelf and easy-to-assemble components. No plumbing or services required, these are all done and in place already. He can place walls wherever he likes, raise the height of ceilings, configure the size of his designs as he requires. There is very little difference between him and the C++programmer except for one major factor. The main limitation is that our C# programmer (although he can build whatever he wants in any style) can only build on board a cruise ship and he doesn't really know where that Microsoft Cruise Ship is going.

Interior design is something he really enjoys, others have become used to his designs as he is rather ubiquitous and so there is no other real choice. Luckily for him there are a lot of cruise ships whose fundamental structure are largely handbuilt by C and C++ programmers...

The VB.NET programmer. He is still able to build on the old cruise ships doing maintenance, though a lot of the newer cruise ships use C# now. A lot of his tools need replacing. There is still work available on the older cruise ships but he is worried that his old tools might not work on the new bigger, faster, more flashy cruise ships. It is worrying that these newer cruise ships are steaming off possibly in another direction and once again, he does not know which.

He prefers not to tell his mates down the pub which tools he uses, he doesn't mention that he uses visualbasic, "it's all about CORE and .NET these days, it's all the same and I practically know how to use that drill already, even though I've never actually used it in anger, I have one just like it at home...". He worries about his old mate the VB6 programmer whom he left behind years ago. He remembers was always a bit smelly and not a bit 'cool' so they drifted apart years ago. However, with all these new building regulations he is starting to feel a little out in the cold like his old VB6 mate before he realised the writing was on the wall.

Meanwhile, the javascript designer is busy doing interior decorative design on three rooms of a stylish apartment on the 72nd storey of a tower block in the city.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Re: C, C++, C#, VB6 Programmer analogy with regard to building

Do we need this? Yet another religious war thread about programming languages?

You have a few things wrong in there. VB.NET can write in what was CORE (it's not .NET5, and soon .NET6) just fine. That isn't C# only, though there are certain project types that are C# only, at this time. As for whether the writing is on the wall, it is if enough people write it there, otherwise it is not.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

And the assembler programmer? - Does he make the bricks?

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Do we need this? Yet another religious war thread about programming languages?
    Well you will get no contention from me. I actually enjoyed reading that lol.

My issue has always been the misinformation about .Net or meaningless information being used to bolster any argument that VB6 is better. If I see it, I will challenge it always. This isn't really about that. yereverluvinuncleber is very passionate about VB6 and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm genuinely glad it makes him happy to use it.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I was once very much in love with VB6 too. I used to think it was the best thing ever and it was at the time. There was nothing like it. However, this was a lifetime ago and much has changed since then.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    And the assembler programmer? - Does he make the bricks?
    Not quite, because the bricks are actually bytes. Assembler is very close, but not quite the same thing. You need to get to byte code for that. Technically, ASM is a one to one relationship to that, but that's still not quite the brick, it's kind of like named bricks, or something.

With regards to assembly, it's a strange beast in today's world. It is both high level and low level. It's low level in the sense that you can directly tell the CPU what to do in the way it understands, however, it's high level in the sense that you still need to go through the OS kernel when you want to write something to disk or pain pixels on the screen. It's not like in the DOS days where you can directly write into video memory to draw to the screen. Id's say that the only reason to know assembly today is to write compilers. Outside of writing compilers, boot loaders or an operating system, there is almost no benefit to writing anything in assembly.

I am currently learning how to write in assembly for the Z80, something I failed to do when younger.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I am currently learning how to write in assembly for the Z80, something I failed to do when younger.
    You doing it through an emulator or the real thing? Either way, sounds like an interesting hobby. As for me, I love plain old x86 assembly. I'd love if there was a real reason for me to use it but so far, I've only used it for fun.

However, just being familiar with it has proven beneficial. I can now decipher applications are actually doing sometimes. Though in practice it's not something I depend on in my day to day. I wish it were though. The 90s must have been a lot of fun when these things were necessary. Unfortunately my pre-teen mind was unable to grasp assembly.

by video at the moment but the target hardware will be a Spectrum 48K, ZX80 and Spectrum 128

So...either way will kill you, but one is faster?

Have you tried smoking a ciggy up your nose? Not going to kill you unless you have tight nostrils.

It really needs to be done with pencils...

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Some work we may have to do will put me in the path of Python. While at first I wasn't bothered since it's just another language, I've since been dreading it since I heard that whitespace actually plays a part in how the code is compiled and executed. I cannot imagine what kind of drugs you have to be on to ever think this could be a good idea for a language.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Some work we may have to do will put me in the path of Python. While at first I wasn't bothered since it's just another language, I've since been dreading it since I heard that whitespace actually plays a part in how the code is compiled and executed. I cannot imagine what kind of drugs you have to be on to ever think this could be a good idea for a language.
    Originally it was intended more as a teaching language, the indentation being part of the syntax was designed to encourage good practices.

Once you get used to it though it starts to feel pretty natural, I tend to be fairly consistent in indentation etc. in any language so the shift to python wasn't a big thing.

So...if you get the white space wrong, the program won't work??? Couldn't you then call an error in the spacing, white noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    I've since been dreading it since I heard that whitespace actually plays a part in how the code is compiled and executed.
    Oh, God NO.

Did xiaoyiao have anything to do with its creation?