Thread: Using BackBlaze Causes a Crash *SOLVED*

Fanatic Member

Using BackBlaze Causes a Crash *SOLVED*

I use BackBlaze as an online backup utility. It's cheap, runs in the background and it's saved my bacon a few times. I have noticed one annoying thing though. Sometimes if I boot up, make a quick change to my program and compile, VB6 will abruptly terminate before it finishes making the EXE file.

I *FINALLY* solved the problem. It was BackBlaze. If I stop BackBlaze, the issue is gone. But I did a deeper dive and found a way to keep BackBlaze running and still avoid the crashing.

Apparently VB6 makes a ton of temporary .OBJ files then links them into an EXE and finally deletes the OBJ's. One routine in my program is really long. I could reduce the number of crashes by breaking that routine up so I chalked the problem up to VB running out of memory. That helped but it didn't really solve the issue. They crashes became intermittent but never fully went away.

Here's my guess... I'm thinking perhaps it took VB6 a long time to make that one particular routine's gigantic OBJ - long enough to draw the attention of BackBlaze. As BackBlaze was backing up that OBJ, I'm assuming VB6 tried to delete the OBJ. BackBlaze probably prevented the file from being deleted while it was being backed up. I believe this caused VB6 to crash. The same thing could happen with smaller OBJ's but they came and went too fast to constantly attract BackBlaze, making the issue intermittent.

I solved this issue once and for all by going into the Blazeback settings, looked at exclusions, and added OBJ.

If you use Blazeback and you notice crashes while compiling this could help. And if you don't use BackBlaze, give it a look - excellent program!
    Last edited by Darkbob; Oct 17th, 2021 at 01:36 PM.