Thread: Posting a VB.NET code as part of supporting info for journal publishing

Lively Member

Posting a VB.NET code as part of supporting info for journal publishing

Hi guys,

I wrote a simple data processing code which was based on VB.NET (VS2013). I wanted to share the code as part of my supporting info in a journal publisher. (I'll keep the name out of the forum in case there might be some potential misunderstanding).

They do have their repository to place codes but VB.NET (or maybe GUI-based codes entirely) are not supported.

I couldn't even share it as a RAR file if I wanted. They only accept PDFs, Word documents, and other generic file types.

Is there a proper platform to share a code openly so that anyone can test it out without installing Visual Studio?

Anything except of appending a cloud storage link to the manuscript, which I guess is a last ditch attempt.

Thanks.
    Vizier87

Re: Posting a VB.NET code as part of supporting info for journal publishing

I think this will end up getting better responses in General Dev, and it is more general, so I moved it.

Technically, VB.NET code files ARE simple file types. You could rename every one of them to .TXT, which is about as generic as you can get, and they'd be fine. You can write .NET code in NotePad if you wanted to...and if you were a total masochist. Obviously, just renaming all your code files to .TXT, or putting them in a Word document, PDF, or anything like that has one problem: People would have to recognize that they are code files and convert them back. I don't think they'd need VS to run them, either, but then again, the Community Edition of VS is free, so that might not even matter.

It's a bad solution, even though it would work. Personally, I think the cloud storage link is better than that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Publish the code on GitHub?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Publish the code on GitHub?

-tg
    Yeah, it seems I have to go that way for now.

I was frazzled because they still seem to restrict the file types that can be uploaded.

Finally I just uploaded the files as a .RAR.

At least it's not Google Drive I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I think this will end up getting better responses in General Dev, and it is more general, so I moved it.

Technically, VB.NET code files ARE simple file types. You could rename every one of them to .TXT, which is about as generic as you can get, and they'd be fine. You can write .NET code in NotePad if you wanted to...and if you were a total masochist. Obviously, just renaming all your code files to .TXT, or putting them in a Word document, PDF, or anything like that has one problem: People would have to recognize that they are code files and convert them back. I don't think they'd need VS to run them, either, but then again, the Community Edition of VS is free, so that might not even matter.

It's a bad solution, even though it would work. Personally, I think the cloud storage link is better than that.
    I wish there is some kind of an online mode for VB.NET.

You write a code, upload the files in the site, and the GUI functions in the web browser. That'll be REALLY cool.

Or has it been done and I missed the train?

All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Lively Member

I don't think this one comes with the objects though.. Charts, buttons, whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizier87 View Post
    Yeah, it seems I have to go that way for now.

I was frazzled because they still seem to restrict the file types that can be uploaded.

Finally I just uploaded the files as a .RAR.

At least it's not Google Drive I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I wouldn't put the files on GitHub as rar or zip files, but as their natural original text files they were intended to be. Then people can browse the code much more easily that way. Also if you have to issue updates, it's much easier to update a code file than a whole archive.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Vizier87 View Post
    I wish there is some kind of an online mode for VB.NET.

You write a code, upload the files in the site, and the GUI functions in the web browser. That'll be REALLY cool.

Or has it been done and I missed the train?
    What you're describing sort of sounds like what you can do with WPF (which you can use VB.NET as the source language). However, I imagine that what you have developed is a desktop application and what you're asking for simply can't be done in a web browser.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

People want to go web, but web and desktop do not fully overlap. The functionality can be utterly the same for some applications, but are utterly incompatible for some others. For that reason, there will always be the two.

You might be able to get kind of close, had you written it from the start with the intention of a web application, but if you started out with a desktop app, then making it web will almost certainly take more work. You might look into something like Blazor, but from the point you are currently at, any such change means that, at the very least, you'll be re-writing the front end completely.

Browsers do a lot, they just don't do quite the same thing in quite the same ways, or deal with quite the same constraints and advantages of desktop programs. There's considerable overlap, to the point where it feels like we are close....but we are not, in fact. The desktop environment has a radically different security profile from a web browser, and allows and disallows much different things. Where that doesn't matter, web and desktop can converge. Where that does matter, the two will never meet.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing