Thread: Wizard Example Using VB,net

Wizard Example Using VB,net

Hello Guys,

I'm hoping that some can point me toward an example of how to create a Wizard in VB.Net. I remember messing around with this many years ago when I was coding in Classic VB and I can't remember how I did it. I want to modify the concept slightly and use it to create a UI with multiple layouts that can be chosen by the user so instead of buttons that step you through a process maybe a drop down that selects the layout. If someone could point me to a piece of example code it will give me something to study and a place to start. Thanks

Re: Wizard Example Using VB,net

Quote Originally Posted by VShaneCurtis View Post
    Hello Guys,

I'm hoping that some can point me toward an example of how to create a Wizard in VB.Net. I remember messing around with this many years ago when I was coding in Classic VB and I can't remember how I did it. I want to modify the concept slightly and use it to create a UI with multiple layouts that can be chosen by the user so instead of buttons that step you through a process maybe a drop down that selects the layout. If someone could point me to a piece of example code it will give me something to study and a place to start. Thanks
    Niya has created a Wizard Control project here which will give you an idea and perhaps modify it's functionality according to your needs

- kgc
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Hello Guys,

You can do that with a menustrip and several panels. Just put a drop down menu that brings panels to the front

Thanks for all the help and links to help kick start my thought process. I couldn't remember how to do it. Now I remember the process of using panels as "pages" and the tedious process of moving/hiding them. It was a real pain in Classic VB. Anyway these links will help get me started. Thanks again

My $0.02: I've used Niya's component that is uploaded in the codebank on commercial projects with success. I highly recommend it.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

It was a real pain in Classic VB.
    You just need some panels stacked up, then assuming you have Panel1, Panel2, Panel3. and you want to bring Panel2 to the front (at run time)…

Code:
    Panel2.BringToFront
    At design time, you can right click any of your panels and select SendToBack, to navigate between your stacked panels. It’s easy.

EDIT: The important part is to be sure your Panels are all children of the Form. A common mistake is to add the first Panel to the Form, then inadvertently add the next Panel to the first Panel instead of adding it to the Form...

Yep, all these ideas are very helpful and I will have a look at the code bank as well. My recounting of the old school classic vb attempt was just me having an "Oh I remember that now" moment I seem to recall it being a bit more tedious and a bit of hair pulling exercise until you got it tuned up and turned into a repeatable process. Come to think of it, docking might also be helpful here too Thanks again

You can find the Wizard control I made via the link in my signature.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

You could also create each "page" as a form and host these "pages" in a single container control (i.e. a Panel) one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCode.NET View Post
    You could also create each "page" as a form and host these "pages" in a single container control (i.e. a Panel) one at a time.
    Slightly off topic but WPF actually handles this problem quite naturally since GUI content can be moved around very freely and extremely easily. What you described here is exactly what you would do in a WPF application. The only difference is that you can host the page inside of anything you want effortlessly. You could host the pages in side a ListBox if you so desired.
    Last edited by Niya; Oct 7th, 2021 at 03:42 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Thanks for that bit of info. I was unaware of this and will do some more digging on this subject.