Thread: Ballistic Chronograph using impact sound from microphone

Exclamation Ballistic Chronograph using impact sound from microphone

Hello there.
    As the title tells you i‘m triying to make an application where i use the microphone input and use the peaks of the volume and calculate the time between the shot fired and the impact sound.
    Now my question is where can you find such code or how can i create my own.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Ballistic Chronograph using impact sound from microphone

A long time ago, I wrote some software that could determine the ballistic curve of a shell based upon the shell weight, the amount of explosive and the resulting starting shell velocity imparted by the cannon, probably using QB45. I believe I also used it to calculate the terminal ballistics of the shell upon hitting the target. I think it did the job but I vaguely remember it being complicated and using trig functions to plot the curve - and the more I think about it I feel I may never have completed it to my own satisfaction.

I have no idea how you would do that using mere sound as it is impossible to determine the velocity by sound alone unless you know exactly when the cannon was fired, the precise distance from the recorder to the cannon so you can calculate the velocity whilst also having the name and type of cannon, weight, type of shell &c as they also have an impact on the terminal velocity and thus the time of impact.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree currently.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.