Thread: How to use a dynamic tooltip on a line in a Rich Text Box

Lively Member

How to use a dynamic tooltip on a line in a Rich Text Box

Hello. This type of question may have asked in the past but searching doesn't give me exactly what I need. Here's the problem.
    I have a RTB that contains some user calculations and I would like to dynamically display via tooltip what the current values are.
    For example:
    A=20
    B=40
    C=B/C
    D=A+C
    etc

In all cases, if the 2nd word on a line is an = sign, then it's a calculation of some sort and if the user hovers over the line, I will calculate the value and display it in a tooltip. This can greatly assist my users debugging their code.

I have the code to determine the value, I just need to know how to do the tooltip.
    If this could just be done in the RTB, that would simplify it for me.
    Regards!
    There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
    Richard P. Feynman

Re: How to use a dynamic tooltip on a line in a Rich Text Box

I'm not sure I got it right, but you can get the content of each line, and with some algorithm to check the data and return the value.

Lively Member

Yes-I want to display in a tooltip the calculated value. This is to assist the user who can have complicated calculations, so that intermediate values can be displayed shown.
    There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
    Richard P. Feynman

what do you really want? A code to generate a tooltip or get the content of the line?

PowerPoster